Groundhogs winning. Time to change guns.

This is a discussion on Groundhogs winning. Time to change guns. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was 1 for 4 on shots at ground hogs with the M&P and Wolf ammo. I had to make a change. I broke out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Groundhogs winning. Time to change guns.

VIP Member

Groundhogs winning. Time to change guns.

I was 1 for 4 on shots at ground hogs with the M&P and Wolf ammo. I had to make a change.

I broke out the DM rifle and it uses Federal Gold Medal Match 69gr SMKs. Farmer Timmy is now 1 for 1 with the new gun. Using the DM gun is like cheating.

As a funny aside I want to throw in that my 4 year old daughter started crying really hard today as we ate lunch on the go in the van.
    I asked her what was wrong and she told me she bit her finger while eating her cheesy roll up. I started laughing at her but she was crying so hard I had to take it seriously. I looked at her finger and sure enough she took a pretty good bite of it.

She bit herself so hard that she has a big blood blister and I'm sure it will bruise up. My question to you all is this: How the heck do you bite your own finger like that?

I told her she was half shark.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Rodent shooting is great fun

Some pics would be nice

I'd like to see that DM in action

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I am refitting a 10/22 to improve my chances at those buggers! Montana has way more of those annoying vermin than is necessary!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    There are probably a lot of playful dads who have found out just how sharp those baby teeth can be.

Never give a ground hog an even break.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Turn your daughter loose on the groundhogs,with you starving her on cheese and her fangs,she should tear through the varmits like a Terrier!
    atctimmy, W9HDG and Sky Pilot like this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Rodent shooting is great fun

Some pics would be nice

I'd like to see that DM in action

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    It is a nice gun.

That S&W on the other hand...
    atctimmy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Maybe you're a crazy driver!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    ... she bit her finger while eating her cheesy roll up.
    Wait 'til you teach her the joys of pistols and she discovers how hard hammers and slides can bite. That'll sweep this cheesy incident from memory. The cardinal rule doesn't really hit home until you've been 'round the dance floor a couple of times: beware sharp objects.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ever see the "funniest video" of Charlie - his brother stuck his fingers in Charlie's mouth and Charlie bit him and wouldn't let go.

Did she have the roll up wrapped around her finger? Just add it to the collection for when the boys start a'callin'

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    As a funny aside I want to throw in that my 4 year old daughter started crying really hard today as we ate lunch on the go in the van.

I asked her what was wrong and she told me she bit her finger while eating her cheesy roll up. I started laughing at her but she was crying so hard I had to take it seriously. I looked at her finger and sure enough she took a pretty good bite of it.

She bit herself so hard that she has a big blood blister and I'm sure it will bruise up. My question to you all is this: How the heck do you bite your own finger like that?

I told her she was half shark.
    Stop feeding her bath salts... JK, but they do appear to turn folks into cannibals.
    atctimmy likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Good to see that you are making good use of your DM build. Groundhogs are open season year round in Ohio, don't let them forget it.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Good to see that you are making good use of your DM build. Groundhogs are open season year round in Ohio, don't let them forget it.
    Man that gun shoots nice!

I feel kind of bad though, I don't have anywhere great to really stretch it's legs. 100 yds at my normal range doesn't do it justice. I can plunk woodchucks out to 317 in my field so I'm hoping to shoot some on the very far side.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

VIP Member
    Are you hitting the critters on the run? Better optic on the DM?

So far, I'm still sticking with irons on my Palmetto. Although I swapped the front sight post out with this:

It really does feel like cheating. I'm hitting things at distance with accuracy as though I'm using a scope.

I'd be quicker to blame the Wolf ammo vs. the S&W. I use Wolf for bulk shooting too, but my groups go from inches to centimeters when I switch to Federal.

BTW, odd timing that your little girl tried to eat her finger today. Tonight I'm in the pool with my son, and out of the blue he tells me that it takes the same bite pressure to bite your pinkie off as it does a carrot. I just looked at him and said, "what on earth prompted you to say that?". He wasn't sure, he had just heard it somewhere.

It looks like it's going to be the summer of cannibalism.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    Haven’t shot ground hogs in a long time but had great fun shooting prairie dogs in Oklahoma. Used to use a 220 Swift built on an 09 Argentina action; I would give them a sportin chance though no shots less than 400 yards.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    ^^^^ Yes, better optic, better trigger and better ammo. The S&W is very accurate with the good stuff too but it's sighted in for the cheap stuff.

And did I mention the trigger? S&W trigger is stock while the reach out and touch you gun has a 3# Timney and it is SCHWEET!
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Mark Twain:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links