The Most Dangerous Cities in the US - Page 2

The Most Dangerous Cities in the US

This is a discussion on The Most Dangerous Cities in the US within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by RayBar Cities that are occupied by the most dangerous people in the Country. Interesting. I'd like to see a breakdown by ethnicity ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: The Most Dangerous Cities in the US

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    Cities that are occupied by the most dangerous people in the Country. Interesting. I'd like to see a breakdown by ethnicity on the violent crimes.
    sarcasm, right?

the answer sits in our white house and crosses our southern border at night.

income and education go hand in hand but when a benevolent government steps in and gives to the needy all they need ( for 3 generations)
    the cost of a hand out is pride lost.
    ericb327, msgt/ret and Spirit51 like this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Chicago ... 228 murders so far in 2012 through 5/12, and not on the list?

I have never seen Chicago on any of these top 10 lists. DC link running here on this topic.

228 dead: That's the number of murders this year in Chicago.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    It would be interesting to see unemployment rates for these cities as well.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    How about by income level or lack there of. I don't think race has anything to do with it.
    Read these...When you are done, tell me race has nothing to do with it....

U.S. Commission On Civil Rights To Investigate 'Stand Your Ground' Laws For Racial Bias | ThinkProgress

SayUncle Violent Crime & Race

Useful Fools American vs. European Crime Rates

Guns don't kill black people, other blacks do - Christopher Hitchens - Salon.com

The Smallest Minority
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    sarcasm, right?

the answer sits in our white house and crosses our southern border at night.

income and education go hand in hand but when a benevolent government steps in and gives to the needy all they need ( for 3 generations)
    the cost of a hand out is pride lost.
    Agree!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Take a hard look at your statement and what your saying.

Where I live it's predominantly white. Violent crimes here are committed by whites. Am I to ASSume whites are more prone to violent crimes. Poverty and education being the factors.

Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    Chicago ... 228 murders so far in 2012 through 5/12, and not on the list?

I have never seen Chicago on any of these top 10 lists. DC link running here on this topic.

228 dead: That's the number of murders this year in Chicago.
    Part of that is that Chicago doesn't list its violent crime rate in the same way other cities do in the FBI UCR... why..? well.. it might put them amongst the top ten... and make Chicago less attractive...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    I can't speak to manipulation, but there's a reason they use deaths per 1000. And no sane criminologist, economist, or statistician would give any meaning to a city of three's murder rate.

What is most interesting to me is that three of the ten are in states without shall issue CCW. Two (Stockton and Oakland) are in a state that is about as close as you can get to a Brady Coalition paradise in terms of its gun laws.
    It was used to prove a point that one situation can change the rating of a small suburb. Let’s look at Dallas TX we are at 0.12 per 1000 and Dallas is 3 million people but if you break that down to areas and not the city as a whole some sections of Dallas would be more like 0.40 per 1000

Dallas crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

Here is a crime map of Dallas and if you notice the lower portion of the city is the higher crime rate then the upper portion but they are including ALL of Dallas to bring the number down. It’s just another example of how stats can be manipulated.
    The article puts Flint, Michigan as the number one city for homicides but is that because they are or is Detroit fudging there numbers like this article says

Detroit police routinely underreport homicides Detroit police routinely underreport homicides | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Just like they calculate inflation and unemployment, they manipulate the figurers and inclusions / exclusions to favor the outcome and make the administration and statistics appear better.

In addition, there's cities much higher in crime rates than these top ten, such as East St. Louis, IL. It was usually #1 or #2 on the top ten list until the population dropped well below the 100K mark. There are literally hundreds of these cities / municipalities with three times the crime as reported with populations of more than 100K.

Living and working in these hoods for many years I've witnessed culture change and commonalities, such as...

Major sources of family income in these ghetto's... Drugs - welfare and prostitution. Head of household : 99.9% momma. Major sporting activities : spitting out illegitimate future welfare recipients and exchanging STD's. Beverage of choice: 32 oz. cans of malt liquor. Major financial institutions: corner liquor store. Social skills: degradation of the English language, gang banging, home invasion, improper shooting technic's, robbery and lying. Role models: Drug dealers / gang bangers. Interest in the Arts: graffiti everywhere with trash and garbage knee deep in every family dirt lawn. City services: disconnecting electric, water and sewer services for non payment. No police presence in certain neighborhoods. Common fear: work. City credit rating: COD. City boarder population sign: Bea out bi darc.

Source: Dennis1209's observed census data living and working in the "hood".
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    in general 4% of humanity is prone to not going along to get along; violently, i may add.

so in a spread out area, the suburbs and rural America,one bad apple touches one other and as fast as one is caught and delt with , another comes of age.
    ----->4% and holding steady

now pile a lot of people in a small space and have those in power go out of their way to do every thing possible ( and invent more ways....) to help the 4%
    and now a bad apple stays around to touche 2 others and it takes near forever (3 page rap sheets....and i don't mean bad singing) to put one away. infection jumps to
    ----->14% and increasing

a hand up is to be humane. it is also a one off, one time event.
    when it becomes a hand out it destroys ones pride; ultimately their feeling of self worth

so is it any wonder that 3 generations later they lash out at the hand that fed them---that crippled them?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

The only thing that surprises me is that Chicago and Kansas City are not on the list. There must be a "flea" in the figuring on this list.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I tend to agree with other poster in that the way they figure the death rate to rate the cities. Say someone lives in a town of 3 people and two are killed; that give the town a 67% murder rate which will make it number one the list.

Plus anyone that reads web sites like DC knows that Detroit fudges their numbers to keep the death rate down classifying them as accidents and JUSTIFEABLE homicide. Makes me wonder how many other cities do the same thing?
    The Milwaukee Police Chief ( Flynn) has been "cooking the books" to make things look like they are getting better.

Talk about cooking the books, how about this one. This is from Detroit’s police department and it shows overall crime in down. This is done with 300 less police then in 2005 but they made the 10 most violent city’s in America.

Crime Statistics | Police Department | City of Detroit | www.detroitmi.gov

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Statistics are weird things. 23/1000 and .5/1000 is cumulative. Assuming no change to the rate and a 75 year lifespan, the average resident will be the victim of violent crime 1.7 times. A kindergartner who starts in a class of 25 can expect that one of his/her classmates will be murdered.

Not sure I like those odds, and ff course, doing stupid things in stupid places with stupid people will increase them.
    Statistics aren't cumulative. If you have 1% chance of having a cardiac event this year, next year you don't have a 2% chance. You have a 1%. That stats on these cities apparently don't even state a time frame, but whatever the time frame is then the statistic is for that time frame only.

Otherwise, if at birth the chance of dying that year were, say, 1% then by age 50 you'd have a 50% chance of dying and that is clearly crazy: one-half of 50yr olds quite obviously do not die in a given year.

So much for gun control or lack of it causing violence: these places are all over the country with many differing laws towards guns. This backs up previous findings: no relationship of one to the other.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links