The Most Dangerous Cities in the US

This is a discussion on The Most Dangerous Cities in the US within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ericb327 How about by income level or lack there of. I don't think race has anything to do with it. I agree ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: The Most Dangerous Cities in the US

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    How about by income level or lack there of. I don't think race has anything to do with it.
    I agree with you about income level. In this survey, you notice that as the median income level drops, they move higher on the list. In any city that I've ever lived in the poorer neighborhoods had the most violence.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

I completely agree that STL City should be in the top three.

I live about 25 minutes outside the city and we have an extremely Low crime rate. It's all about location.

Crime Rate Drop

The violent crime rate in US has dropped 70% from 1993 to 2010:

ViolentCrime.jpg

Article: The Amazing Twenty-Year Drop in American Violent Crime Continues: December 2010 Update

And from Colonial times to present:

violence-stylized-2.jpg

VIP Member
    Statistics can't reflect what's happening in the moment. Things are changing fast. Numbers don't mean much to someone who got mugged today. There is no such thing as a safe area or a safe time. The best we can do is follow the stupid rules; be prepared at all times.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Statistics can't reflect what's happening in the moment. Things are changing fast.
    This is the standard reply when facts don't agree with one's worldview.
    walleye likes this.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

VIP Member
    The black community does have a problem, it includes bad leadership and racist white people.

Eric can you please explain this statement? Are you talking about local leadership or national? How does either one have an impact on street level crime? In theory you are saying if Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, both whom are heralded as great black leaders, stood on the street corner and showed their leadership, crime would go down?

I am further taking from your statement that black on black crime is a result of racist white people, if so what is your basis for fact? Part of my duties here is to command a security force of 175 men. All are black. They are from Sierra Leone and Uganda in other words they can't get any blacker, I would give my life for any one of them and they for me.
    I have used a racial comment probably six times in my life and everytime it was in a LE or Military training enviroment and I was using it to get a reaction from the cop or troop. I do not have a racist bone in my body but according to you since I say I am not a racist I probably am.

Statistics are very deceiving in all regards sometimes. If the crime rate was reported from an Indian reservation in Arizona betcha a dollar both the victims and suspects would be an American Indian from Arizona. Yes unemployment, social economic factors and other things contribute but to say that violent crime among a certain ethnic group is the fault of another ethnic group is like saying it is the fault of McDonald's for making a lot of America fat.

It is a personal choice as to what activities you as the indivdual participate in. Some obviously make some really bad choices but if you want to think "The white man is keeping a brother down" go ahead. Just as you stated you won't change my mind and I won't change yours.
    Harryball likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    The violent crime rate in US has dropped 70% from 1993 to 2010:

ViolentCrime.jpg

Article: The Amazing Twenty-Year Drop in American Violent Crime Continues: December 2010 Update

And from Colonial times to present:

violence-stylized-2.jpg
    As Grossman says (quoted in another thread), if we had 1970s medtech, our homicide rate would be 4x higher than it is today...

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    (Police Chief Edward) Flynn's reputation has been built on his ability to reduce violent crime through a data-driven approach. He has touted department statistics that showed that violent crime had dropped for four consecutive years. So it came as a shock last month when an investigation found that since 2009, the department has reported more than 500 incidents to the FBI as "simple assaults" when those incidents should have been classified as the more serious "aggravated assaults."

Had the department classified the incidents properly, the violent crime rate in Milwaukee actually would have increased by 1.1%, instead of falling 2.3% in the past two years, as Flynn previously had reported.

Independent audit needed to restore MPD's credibility - JSOnline
    Here in DC it was discovered that the PD was fudging the numbers on the number of murders the PD said it closed for 2011 (I'm pretty sure that was the year). What they essentially did was took all the cases they closed by arrest of murders for other years (e.g. 2009, 2005, 2000, 1998, 1993, etc.) and added those to the cases closed number. What they presented as saying was basically 'there were 100 murders committed in 2010 but we closed 50 of them.' That gave the deliberate impression that they solved 50% of the murders committed in 2011, when the reality was they only really closed 25% of the murders committed in 2011, and the other arrests were murders from prior years and NOT 2011.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    As Grossman says (quoted in another thread), if we had 1970s medtech, our homicide rate would be 4x higher than it is today...
    Aggravated assaults are a much more accurate number in the deciphering of the level of violence in an area.

Then you start seeing things like:

ST 1973 2010
    ------------------------------------------------------
    NY 47,781 43,867
    FL 25,723 69,523
    CA 56,813 95,877
    IL 27,949 32,042

A whole different reality.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Somehow Virginia, a state with 2,000,000 fewer people and way more guns, manages to have dozens of fewer murders every year than does Maryland right across the Potomac. So it sure ain't about the population (by number) and the access to firearms.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    The black community does have a problem, it includes bad leadership and racist white people.

Eric can you please explain this statement? Are you talking about local leadership or national? How does either one have an impact on street level crime? In theory you are saying if Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, both whom are heralded as great black leaders, stood on the street corner and showed their leadership, crime would go down?

I am further taking from your statement that black on black crime is a result of racist white people, if so what is your basis for fact? Part of my duties here is to command a security force of 175 men. All are black. They are from Sierra Leone and Uganda in other words they can't get any blacker, I would give my life for any one of them and they for me.
    I have used a racial comment probably six times in my life and everytime it was in a LE or Military training enviroment and I was using it to get a reaction from the cop or troop. I do not have a racist bone in my body but according to you since I say I am not a racist I probably am.

Statistics are very deceiving in all regards sometimes. If the crime rate was reported from an Indian reservation in Arizona betcha a dollar both the victims and suspects would be an American Indian from Arizona. Yes unemployment, social economic factors and other things contribute but to say that violent crime among a certain ethnic group is the fault of another ethnic group is like saying it is the fault of McDonald's for making a lot of America fat.

It is a personal choice as to what activities you as the indivdual participate in. Some obviously make some really bad choices but if you want to think "The white man is keeping a brother down" go ahead. Just as you stated you won't change my mind and I won't change yours.
    I did not mean racist white people cause an ethnic group to commit crimes. Some here believe that certain races are more prone to commit crimes. I think that is racist! They don't consider other factors that got them there. I think that is conveniently racist. I spent a couple days going back and forth posting supporting evidence in another thread a while back. An admin asked me and another to back off. I am disappointed at the lack of outrage by other members of the forum. People stop just short of exposing their true colors. I'm speaking in generalities, not you.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I did not mean racist white people cause an ethnic group to commit crimes. Some here believe that certain races are more prone to commit crimes. I think that is racist! They don't consider other factors that got them there. I think that is conveniently racist. I spent a couple days going back and forth posting supporting evidence in another thread a while back. An admin asked me and another to back off. I am disappointed at the lack of outrage by other members of the forum. People stop just short of exposing their true colors. I'm speaking in generalities, not you.
    I find it funny that you can tell a mans heart and whats in it, without meeting that man. Your snap to judgement shows a lack of maturity and that sir is an outrage. This is not a win or loose type of thing. Its a discussion, it would appear that you ware your heart on your shirt sleeve. Just because someone disagrees with you, doesnt mean they are wrong and you are right, and vise versa. Just some things to keep in mind...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Did you read any of the links posted. I will assume by your statement that you didnt. When 3% is causing 49% of the murders, I would say the black community has an Issue. Its hard to say that and not be considered a racist. Im not a racist. So before you pass judgement, read and educate yourself
    Taken from your articles!

Many, including myself, blame the high inner city crime rate on several factors:
    Misguided welfare policies, which have helped to create a culture of irresponsibility.
    The ideology of racial separatism (black power, etc.) and its relative, multiculturalism and the cult of victimology.
    Centuries of slavery and oppression, which really only came to an end in the 1960-current time period.

Useful Fools American vs. European Crime Rates

If you look back, this was my argument.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Taken from your articles!

Many, including myself, blame the high inner city crime rate on several factors:
    Misguided welfare policies, which have helped to create a culture of irresponsibility.
    The ideology of racial separatism (black power, etc.) and its relative, multiculturalism and the cult of victimology.
    Centuries of slavery and oppression, which really only came to an end in the 1960-current time period.

Useful Fools American vs. European Crime Rates

If you look back, this was my argument.
    1st. Im glad you read the articles.

2nd. Not my articles. Just the reference put forth.

3rd. You said that some members were close to showing there true colors. Would that be posting a link to some articles?

I never said there were not other reasons. Quote from article....

hat the dramatic increase in the black crime rate came after the rise of the welfare state and the creation of black racial separatism and victimology suggests the causative nature of those factors.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

One of the most intriguing theories I have heard for the drop in crime nowadays is that kids spend so much time on electronic gadgets. Whereas in the past they had nothing to do, nowadays they have a non-stop list of things they can do. Also, a pretty good chunk of the crime that is committed is the efforts to obtain electronic gadgets.
    Last edited by Chad Rogers; June 14th, 2012 at 06:58 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links