The Most Dangerous Cities in the US

This is a discussion on The Most Dangerous Cities in the US within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Based on 2011 FBI data, these are the 10 U.S. cities with populations of 100,000 or more and with the highest rates of violent crime ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: The Most Dangerous Cities in the US

Based on 2011 FBI data, these are the 10 U.S. cities with populations of 100,000 or more and with the highest rates of violent crime per 1,000 residents.

Top Ten Most Dangerous Cities - AOL Real Estate
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Interesting. Even in the most dangerous city in America, you have only a 2.3% chance of being a victim of violent crime, and a 0.05% chance of being murdered. Perhaps this should put things into perspective.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    Interesting. Even in the most dangerous city in America, you have only a 2.3% chance of being a victim of violent crime, and a 0.05% chance of being murdered. Perhaps this should put things into perspective.
    Statistics are weird things. 23/1000 and .5/1000 is cumulative. Assuming no change to the rate and a 75 year lifespan, the average resident will be the victim of violent crime 1.7 times. A kindergartner who starts in a class of 25 can expect that one of his/her classmates will be murdered.

Not sure I like those odds, and ff course, doing stupid things in stupid places with stupid people will increase them.

Cities that are occupied by the most dangerous people in the Country. Interesting. I'd like to see a breakdown by ethnicity on the violent crimes.
    Spirit51 and nerdyvirgin like this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Specific areas within a populous will be higher, this is the scary part! They lump the entire city into the numbers.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

People in neighboring cities and town avoid Durham, where I've lived since 1984, because of its gang violence -- 17 murders per 100,000 annually. What they don't bother to realize is that virtually 100% of those murders are gang hits in the projects. Like any larger city (200+ pop) there are areas you avoid. All I know is, in my 28 years here I've never been the victim of any crime, not even petty theft.

VIP Member
    Do not know if there is any correlation but with the exception of Little Rock the unemployment rate in each city was 10+% and the cities with the highest crime rate were eliminating police positions to reduce budgets.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    You give me just one bit of information I ask for, and I will tell you the violent crime rate of an area.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

I tend to agree with other poster in that the way they figure the death rate to rate the cities. Say someone lives in a town of 3 people and two are killed; that give the town a 67% murder rate which will make it number one the list.

Plus anyone that reads web sites like DC knows that Detroit fudges their numbers to keep the death rate down classifying them as accidents and JUSTIFEABLE homicide. Makes me wonder how many other cities do the same thing?

Many police departments manipulate their "stats" to reflect lower crime rates. Or categorize the crime as a lesser serious one to make it appear serious crime is lower. This often happens when a new chief is appointed. Don't ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    Cities that are occupied by the most dangerous people in the Country. Interesting. I'd like to see a breakdown by ethnicity on the violent crimes.
    Why?

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    How about by income level or lack there of. I don't think race has anything to do with it.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I tend to agree with other poster in that the way they figure the death rate to rate the cities. Say someone lives in a town of 3 people and two are killed; that give the town a 67% murder rate which will make it number one the list.
    To be meaningful these statistics are limited to cities above a certain population. I think it was 100K in this case. Statistics always requires a sufficient sample size to support the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    How about by income level or lack there of. I don't think race has anything to do with it.
    I totally agree. If you look at any ethnic group you'll find that violent crime is directly proportional to socioeconomic status. The unnamed race in this context just happens to have a lot more individuals at the lower rungs of it.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post

Plus anyone that reads web sites like DC knows that Detroit fudges their numbers to keep the death rate down classifying them as accidents and JUSTIFEABLE homicide. Makes me wonder how many other cities do the same thing?
    I can't speak to manipulation, but there's a reason they use deaths per 1000. And no sane criminologist, economist, or statistician would give any meaning to a city of three's murder rate.

What is most interesting to me is that three of the ten are in states without shall issue CCW. Two (Stockton and Oakland) are in a state that is about as close as you can get to a Brady Coalition paradise in terms of its gun laws.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links