Ticks and Lyme!!

This is a discussion on Ticks and Lyme!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's that time of the year in many parts of the country so BEWARE!!! You do not have to live in the country to get ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ticks and Lyme!!

Exclamation Ticks and Lyme!!

It's that time of the year in many parts of the country so BEWARE!!!
    You do not have to live in the country to get a tick... but if you have Ginnie hens, they love to hunt and eat them... Watch the video...

~7~ SEVEN LYME FACTS THAT COULD HAVE SAVED ME!!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

I had a tick stuck between my big toe and next one on my left foot a few weeks ago, he was really in there, had to pull hard to get him out, even after putting him out with fingernail polish remover.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    A hot object to his butt, such as the tip of a burning cigarette, will have him backing out post haste. No head left behind to cause problems later
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Here in Jersey, deer ticks are everywhere.
    During/after one hunting trip last fall I pulled at least 50 from my clothes and skin.
    That video was a real 'eye-opener'. (e.g. symptoms... constant headaches, neck pain and chronic fatigue)
    Thanks for the post.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Had lyme disease a few years ago. Luckily caught it soon as rashes were forming. Still have a huge scar from where it must have been.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    even after putting him out with fingernail polish remover.
    Don't use any of that stuff, or vaseline, or anything like that, unless you want it to throw up in your skin and get a huge infection. You either have to use a tweezers and grab the head then pull, or like inspector said, a hot object.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    In NC we've got them bad this year. My wife and I have 17 acres so time not spent earning a check is spent outdoors on the farm. I picked 6 or 7 off last weekend not counting those that were just crawling around on me. Even had one dug in the outer corner of my eye. That itch is making me nuts. I spotted it looking in the mirror, didn't have my glasses on. I ripped eye lashes and eye brows getting that bugger off. Be careful out there.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Pulled a huge one off of my yellow lab the other day. He must have been on there a few days because he was completely engorged. I had also heard that putting a hot object on them could stress them out and make them throw up under the skin also, is that true?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    I've never seen so many as we have right now. I suspect it's because we didn't get a 'winter' down south.

Oddly, I'm the toxic avenger when it comes to bugs. Tics, mosquitoes, gnats - they all run from me.

Come to think of it, everybody else does too. Perhaps I need to revisit my personal hygiene...

Yeah, this summer will be a bad one when it comes to bugs. The zapper in my front yard is working overtime.

For those who think the home remedies are a good idea... you might want to break out the tweezers:
    (Not that I really believe what Snopes says, but the CDC is credible)

Q. My brother-in-law sent me an email about how to remove ticks. It was attributed to a school nurse who suggested applying a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball and covering the tick with the cotton ball for 20 seconds. Presumably when you remove the cotton ball the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball.

Is this really a good way to remove ticks? We are having a bumper crop this year.

A. According to Snopes.com, this email has been circulating on the Internet for more than two years. It sounds credible, but it is not true. Putting liquid soap, petroleum jelly, Vicks VapoRub, fingernail polish or any other goo on a tick will not make it let go faster. Aggravating a tick might cause it to regurgitate saliva into the bite, increasing the risk of infection.

The CDC recommends grasping the tick with tweezers as close to the skin as possible. Use a gentle steady motion to pull the tick straight away from the skin.

Prompt removal reduces the risk of infection. Symptoms such as rash, fatigue, chills, fever, headache, muscle and joint aches could signal either Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Both require prompt medical attention.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I've never seen so many as we have right now. I suspect it's because we didn't get a 'winter' down south.

Oddly, I'm the toxic avenger when it comes to bugs. Tics, mosquitoes, gnats - they all run from me.

Come to think of it, everybody else does too. Perhaps I need to revisit my personal hygiene...
    WHEC.....do not stress out

just consider it your 'special' and if anyone has a problem with that
    well, its their problem; tell em to go in the corner an deal with it
    (and to wash their hands afterwards)

we understand ua
    ...sorta
    sometimes

....not good to over think this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    But....
    Wait till you think you've got a few symptoms and ask the doc to check you out. Easier to get a transplant than confirmation of a tick disease.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Don't use any of that stuff, or vaseline, or anything like that, unless you want it to throw up in your skin and get a huge infection. You either have to use a tweezers and grab the head then pull, or like inspector said, a hot object.
    It's hard to put something real hot between your toes!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I was out in Sturgis a few years ago (Bike Week) and only had fun for one day. On Saturday I came down with chills and fever. Had to call an ambulance to take me to a "Hospital". Doc there told me it was just dehydration and to go rest. On Sunday I had to call an ambulance again and they took me to Rapid City Hospital. I was there (they tell me) for six days. They didn't not do the Western Toxiology test because they don't have a lot of Lymes there. I was in and out of it the entire stay. VERY high fever. I finally woke up one night in about 3 inches of water...thought I had relieved myself in my sleep. Wrong...it was sweat...fever had "broken". When I left, they still had no clue as to what was wrong with me. Two days later I was on my way home minus the camper that I could not make arrangements to transport. (Sold for pennies). I did luck out and found a guy to haul my Harley.

I suffered for months after that. Was a full year before I though I was back to normal. My doctor at home recognised it for what it was and perscribed 'Tetracycline".

NOW, where did this menace come from? Our good ol' government. It seems that after WWII we snatched a German Biologist and set him up in a lab off the shore of Deleware. They said "Build us a disease, boy". and he came up with Lymes. They infected ticks and introduce them to deer to see what would happen. Well, the deer did just fine, thank you, but were marvelous hosts. Some got away and people started getting sick.

Research Lymes and Plum Island.

And so, again, we owe a great debt to our own wonderful government.

Personally, I use Deep Woods Off. You don't have to spray it directly on your skin. Spraying your clothing, especially from the waist down, works just fine.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links