Woke up this morning and saw myself on CNN !

This is a discussion on Woke up this morning and saw myself on CNN ! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That's right, yours truly had his mug on CNN..... all over the world !! Last night, former Texas Governor Ann Richards passed away at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woke up this morning and saw myself on CNN !

Woke up this morning and saw myself on CNN !

That's right, yours truly had his mug on CNN..... all over the world !!

Last night, former Texas Governor Ann Richards passed away at the age of 73. The news stories this morning are showing clips from various points in her life and political career. One of the clips was when she was presented a Harley-Davidson in the upstairs rotunda area of the State Capitol to commemorate Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month in Texas.

As the Harley-Davidson State Safety Coordinator for Texas, I was one of those making the presentation. Just before she came out in front of the cameras, her security officer came up to me and said that she was going to sit on the sportster before the world wide media, and that I had better make sure that motorcycle did not move !

So, I made sure the bike was in gear, then moved in to hold the front brake lever while she mounted up. I then moved to the background, when the picture below was taken. I am just to the right of the right hand rear view mirror with the right side of my head blocked by the mirror.

The clip on CNN today shows me in my bright red H-D State Safety shirt moving in from the left side of the screen to steady the bike again after she got on and raised the bike off the sidestand.

It was a fun day, we took the motorcycle back in her outer office for about 30 minutes while we explained the bike and it's controls to her. Great lady to talk to, just like one of us, no false airs, what ya saw was what ya got with Ann !

Lots of people disagreed with her political stance on various issues (like me on gun control) , but she was a fun lady who believed in living life to its fullest.

And yes, she did take the MSF course and she did get her motorcycle endorsement !

Last edited by DaveT; September 14th, 2006 at 10:41 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Dave,

Great story, Congrat's on getting on TV. And it was a positive piece too.

Can we get an autographed copy of that picture.

Did you get to ride that bike. You know, got to test it out for defects before the Gov gets on and has an accident?
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    Dave,

Great story, Congrat's on getting on TV. And it was a positive piece too.

Can we get an autographed copy of that picture.

Did you get to ride that bike. You know, got to test it out for defects before the Gov gets on and has an accident?
    Actually I did, the day before..... brief ride around the DPS parking lot. They were in a hurry to comply with the State Fire Marshal's demand that we have the battery out and the fuel tank empty before the bike could be taken into the capitol building the next morning. It was interesting getting it in the elevator for the ride to the second floor, LOL !

It looks like Ann Richards was having a great day. A nice picture. Congratulations DaveT.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Assistant Administrator
    Great pic Dave - must have been a real surprise to see it come up on the ol tube

That has to be counted perhaps towards your ''Warhole" 15 minutes allocation!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You're old j/k

The only reason that I even knew about her (name, former governor) is from the episode of King of the Hill where Bill and she had something going.

Wayne

VIP Member
    Cool...nice story!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    That's better than my 15 minutes! My South end was on the cover of Time......... Of course I was facing North at the moment!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

She got to keep the Bike?!

Dang, where's mine?

The video clip is now on the www.cnn.com website. Just go to 'latest news', then there is a headline about her death and the word 'video' next to it. It is a video clip of her life, about four minutes long.... I'm right about in the middle when she starts talking about riding a Harley-Davidson motorcycle for her 60th birthday.

As she mounts the bike, I move into the picture from the left wearing my bright red H-D State Safety shirt to hold the front handbrake and make sure the sporty does not move while she is getting on.

Cool, I can now watch me over and over !

Yep, it's a slow day, LOL.........

quantum36 - no, she did not get to keep the bike, that would been a violation of state law as the dollar amount was over the limit of gifts an elected official could keep. The bike is on permenant display in the lobby of the Training Academy of the Texas Department of Public Safety Headquarters in Asutin.

Administrator
    Very Neat Photo Dave...Thanks for posting it.
    And for your sake...glad the bike DIDN'T move...then your pic would have been in all the tabloids!

Oh...and Dave...shoot me a PM if Harley-Davidson has an extra one of those sitting around gathering dust.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Well even though I didn't agree with her politics, she was funny and energetic. May God rest her soul. Nice pic by the way.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Pretty cool story. We have a celeb on our forum!
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Nice Pic...Well Done!

Hopefully, the H-D did not move? Did she ever ride that thing out on the road?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Cool Story!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links