June 15, 1944

June 15, 1944

This is a discussion on June 15, 1944 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is some of our history we need to remember. Doctor Grumpy in the House: June 15, 1944...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Ally

Thread: June 15, 1944

Exclamation June 15, 1944

Here is some of our history we need to remember.
    Doctor Grumpy in the House: June 15, 1944
    "It's better to avoid than to run, better to run than to de-escalate, better to de-escalate than to fight, better to fight than to die." ~ Rory Miller in _Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected_
    By way of Cornered Cat

VIP Member
    Wow, I never knew about that bit of history. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    Here is some of our history we need to remember.
    Doctor Grumpy in the House: June 15, 1944

Thanks for posting, the same common courage as D-Day!

VIP Member
    I was a baby during WWII; and my wife was a baby during WWII. But, her house was taken over
    and used as a Japanese Army Headquarters while the family fled and lived in caves. She has no conscious
    recollection of any of it, but there are physical problems that remain from deprivation during infancy.

As a boy I read innumerable memoirs accounting the war in The Pacific. Most of it horrific fighting.

The Korean War and cold war in Europe coming so quickly after WWII forced us to too quickly forget and
    forgive both the Germans and The Japanese, and buy all manner of goods from the folks who killed
    our dads and uncles.

I'm afraid that as with much of our US History, and even more of World History, we simply do a lousy job of
    teaching about it. And more's the pity, because there are tremendous film archives of WWII and plenty
    of books on every battle.

My wife's former home (the one used as a Japanese Headquarters) is now a Bed and Breakfast at a
    tourist destination. Every time she books a Japanese guest I want to puke. Somehow it doesn't bother her,
    so I guess that is all that counts. Maybe I just hold my grudges longer.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Links