GOTTA SEE!: Wallenda's HIGH-WIRE WALK OVER NIAGARA FALLS !!!

This is a discussion on GOTTA SEE!: Wallenda's HIGH-WIRE WALK OVER NIAGARA FALLS !!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I watched on TV in rapt attention with others the Walk Over Niagara Falls - which I live about 40 min from. Watched by thousands ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: GOTTA SEE!: Wallenda's HIGH-WIRE WALK OVER NIAGARA FALLS !!!

GOTTA SEE!: Wallenda's HIGH-WIRE WALK OVER NIAGARA FALLS !!!

I watched on TV in rapt attention with others the Walk Over Niagara Falls - which I live about 40 min from. Watched by thousands along the Falls in both the US and Canada and millions home as broadcast live on ABC it was magnificent. ABC had insisted Nic Wallenda wear a safety device but I and everyone instinctively knew that, never having been used at any time before, it was at best a "?" if it would ever work if he fell. He hated the idea: and you could hear him on a mike saying at one point while on the wire: "I feel like a horse's ass with this thing on. O well." Luckily we did not have to find out if it would work.

Upholding the tradition of his great High-Wire family before him he was attempting a feat many said was impossible. And seeing the Falls as shown by ABC you would agree. They showed him praying and reassuring his family that he would be fine and would not be doing this if he didn't know that. He is in superb shape, a great athlete in his own right, and an engineer of the wire, helped by a NASA engineer and by his coach-father on headset. He had a mike, and we could hear him speaking calmly to his father - describing the always-present mist and winds of the Falls distorting his vision and making it difficult at times to see the wire - which is crucial. He could also be heard praying "Thank you God", "Thank you Jesus" when he had gotten thru a difficult moment. He was completely soaked by the mist, as was the cable, dripping - and getting exhausted by the end. He was, by then, walking uphill on the wire, you could hear him saying he could no longer feel his hands on the 40' cross-poll. Just before the end: to acknowledge the cheering-him-on crowds, he knelt to them and raised his arm in triumph, then RAN across the last few yards to the platform.

A MAGNIFICENT 26 MINUTES! (he walked a third of a mile!) Here's some pics, there are hundreds on the net + video, ABC has a lot, but it really is worth seeing:

Good Video: Put it in Full Screen if you can (that little icon in right, lower corner) - whatever, well-worth seeing:
    Daredevil Nik Wallenda Walks Tightrope Across Niagara Falls To Canada ~ Current Affairs- VIDEO PAGE

Attached Images
    Last edited by walleye; June 17th, 2012 at 01:29 PM.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Well...I'd have to say that's near the top of the list of jobs I don't want.

VIP Member
    Superb job but I can think of easier ways to cross the border.
    discoboxer likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Superb job but I can think of easier ways to cross the border.
    What was funny and done as kind of joke: they had two Immigration Officers who asked for his passport soon as he got off the platform - which he gave them wrapped in soaking wet plastic. One then asked him "And what is the purpose of your trip to Canada sir?" - with a straight face.

But his answer was great:

"To bring wonder to the world".

Well, he did that! For a little bit, all the woe of the world, the horrible economy, the idiocy of today's politics, all one's personal problems - well, for a brief evening all were gone and we all felt like kids at a magic-show again. I think he meant what he said - and accomplished it. For that, a great thanks to him! - and "The Flying Wallendas", his family before him
    Last edited by walleye; June 17th, 2012 at 04:17 AM.
    stancehold likes this.

I grew up just south of Buffalo and have been to the Falls many time. I had my entire family with me watching this
    because like they said, "It is a once in a lifetime event". I took the family to Niagara Falls about 6 years ago (from Texas),
    and they loved it. They still talk about it.
    If you've never been, please try to make it at least once. Put it on your list. I can guarantee, you will not be dissapointed.

Tim

I wish that I would've realized it was on. I watched nothing but junk last night. They just don't do this kind of thing anymore, and the world's a poorer place for its loss.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    I wish that I would've realized it was on. I watched nothing but junk last night. They just don't do this kind of thing anymore, and the world's a poorer place for its loss.
    You can sometimes get a whole replay of TV show for Hulu and other places + just video around. You're right, this is a lost art - and it is an art and uplifts people.

DANG,things people do to shop at Walmart LOL.
    I got a feeling if it was a stunt across the "Southern Border" there would have been a line of people behind him telling him to "hurry up"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I watched it on TV - granted I don't have the skill as this family, but I still found it to be incredibly boring. The pictures you posted are awesome however. I was suprised at how wide the cable was.
    Last edited by DMan; June 17th, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member
    I watched it live, it was pretty impressive to see.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    You can watch a lot of the ABC broadcast of the walk here: Daredevil Nik Wallenda the first person to walk across Niagara Falls on a high wire (Live HD) - YouTube

It was taped I think from a TV so put in "full screen" - can see it much better. There is little box lower at right hand corner of film box and you click it to get full screen. When it's done and you shrink screen back to normal just click the "esc" key on the top row of the keyboard all the way to the left.

Distinguished Member
    We watched it, the two and a half hour build up was a bit excessive but we talked throught most of that. It was REALLY cool actually, very impressive! Just being able to walk that line with that kind of back drop, - all that rushing water, that had to be tough. A LOT different than just walking between two buildings or whatever. Both me and my girlfriend have never been to niagra falls, we decided while watching that a trip has to be in our somewhat near future. But ya it was cool, can't wait to watch if he gets to walk the grand canyon.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Wow! I don't even like getting up on my roof, and it's a single story.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

OK, I'm gonna get in deep do-do for this, but isn't it kinda cheating being rigged to the cable in case he fell? Kinda like Evel Kinevel jumping a span with a parachute and training wheels on his bike?

Don't get me wrong, you wouldn't catch me up there at all, (I'm a gutless wonder) but just seems to detract from the derring-do with a harness. Like a trapeeze artist using a net.

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    OK, I'm gonna get in deep do-do for this, but isn't it kinda cheating being rigged to the cable in case he fell? Kinda like Evel Kinevel jumping a span with a parachute and training wheels on his bike?

Don't get me wrong, you wouldn't catch me up there at all, (I'm a gutless wonder) but just seems to detract from the derring-do with a harness. Like a trapeeze artist using a net.
    HE didn't choose what really was only a theoretical safety device - he hated the idea and fought against it but ABC insisted. He was in great danger of death all the time up there, that device had never had been used before in a real situation; I'd day 50-50 chances; this was all new too, just a week or two before had ABC flat out insisted. - and had it worked some other idea for rescue that was more dicey and had never been used would have been next: some capsule on another cable with one guy in it would run out to the middle of Niagara Falls and somehow, from dangling upside down over the Falls, Wallenda was supposed to be transferred in the midst of those crazy winds and water from mist in mid-air over the brink of Niagara Falls.

Plus, he had never had to deal with this device before, when on the practice wire it had hung up over the poles hanging with weights they had at certain places on the cable to stabilize it because no guide wires were used which is usual. He considered it an added danger. If it had hung up over the Falls then he would have tried to release it off his body and hoped he could do it without it itself making him fall. Had the device worked he could have been left hanging feet up and unconscious from the 40lb pole hitting his head as it dropped or if the shoulder straps for that pole had held he would have had a 40 lb weight pulling downward from near his neck and head.

I think saving him was would have been as dangerous as his walking the wire with no device - more so.

Still ABC was likely right to have a go at it - with families and children watching they would have had a 5 second delay but still it would have been an obvious tragedy after all the magic build up and very bad for kids and adults alike - and it would have looked like an event planned and shown all over with full knowledge a man might die on camera. Lotsa anger at everyone.

My view from watching and from seeing others with their hearts in their mouth - a good measure of danger from human instinct - was that saving him wouldn't have worked - but it gave ABC the excuse to say "we tried".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links