Racism in America - Page 3

Racism in America

This is a discussion on Racism in America within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I believe as a nation, we have made all of the laws that will have any effect on racism (even a few that need to ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Racism in America

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I believe as a nation, we have made all of the laws that will have any effect on racism (even a few that need to be reversed). There are small pockets of racsim that will never go away just like we will always have idiots. I do not believe that our government can do any more good in that regard. Now it comes down to day to day living. The good thing is that people mostly have to whisper words that were largely acceptable 40 years ago. If we strive everyday to treat each other as fellow human beings, racism will continue to be marginalized as much as it can. I see people of all skin colors working, worshipping and playing next to each all of the time. It is not the institutionalized issue that it was.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    here's a song worth listening to and the lyrics that go with it. For some it will make the ears bleed but you can turn the volume down and just read it if you want to see the message.

2pac-Changes - YouTube
    Badey likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I wasn't going to touch this with someone else's 10 foot pole, but I have just one example to give.

I was one of only 6 females of a department of over 400 at a time when it "just wasn't done". I wore the label of Firefighter/Paramedic, but we were the stretcher jockys more than hose jockys. We had the same training and did work a hose line on occasions, but mainly Ambulance.

I worked with many different races of men....some respectful men....some total jerks. When a white guy hit on me...I gave them a polite "no thank you". End of subject, if they were smart. When a black guy hit on me I gave the same response and got back "It's because I am black". No, it is because I am married. They wouldn't let it rest.

Like I said....I worked with some wonderful, respectful man of all colors. One of best Chiefs was a black man....always respectful to everyone and very good at his job....and a true gentleman. One of the worse Chiefs was a white man....always harassing the women and bad at his job over all....a true jerk.

Color didn't make the man....character did. I have always followed the words of MLK "Don't judge a man by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character". I believe that he would be doing the "techicolor yawn" at the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and yes.....even Obama.

So is there racism in our country? Yes, on all sides, but not the problem some people paint.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I wasn't going to touch this with someone else's 10 foot pole, but I have just one example to give.

I was one of only 6 females of a department of over 400 at a time when it "just wasn't done". I wore the label of Firefighter/Paramedic, but we were the stretcher jockys more than hose jockys. We had the same training and did work a hose line on occasions, but mainly Ambulance.

I worked with many different races of men....some respectful men....some total jerks. When a white guy hit on me...I gave them a polite "no thank you". End of subject, if they were smart. When a black guy hit on me I gave the same response and got back "It's because I am black". No, it is because I am married. They wouldn't let it rest.

Like I said....I worked with some wonderful, respectful man of all colors. One of best Chiefs was a black man....always respectful to everyone and very good at his job....and a true gentleman. One of the worse Chiefs was a white man....always harassing the women and bad at his job over all....a true jerk.

Color didn't make the man....character did. I have always followed the words of MLK "Don't judge a man by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character". I believe that he would be doing the "techicolor yawn" at the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and yes.....even Obama.
    As a man I am particularly disgusted by some mens lack of respect for a committed relationship, particularly marriage. But thats a whole 'nother can of worms.

MLK was one heck of a man. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are racist hate-mongers and only make things worse.

I also firmly believe things like BET makes things worse. Shows and movies to purposefully separate folks based on color only stirs the pot and makes it worse. I used to work PT for blockbuster many years ago, and I covered a shift at a location in an "African-American community". They had an entire section of the store filled with "African-american only" movies. Basically: movies with only African-Americans. Constantly putting racial dividers and barriers in peoples faces doesn't do us a dang bit of good, IMHO. I'm not talking older movies either, they had new releases in that section.

Laws and society are NOT fair to all races, sad but true. Does anybody remember the Richmond,Va "youtube beating" ? There was a thread I posted here on the boards. It happened when I lived in Richmond, and I knew one of the victims. A group of African-Americans jumped two guys and beat them unconscious. They posted it online and bragged about "this is how we treat white people" .The group promoted local hip-hop artists and events, and had an "online presence" they used to promote the video. Clearly a racially motivated hate crime. It made national news, not a single broadcast mentioned the words "hate-crime" at any point. National media did a follow-up story a year later about how they could not find the attackers. They had posted their names online, their organization name, and their faces on the video and they police couldn't find them? Outrageous! The victims woke up in the hospital with no recollection, both had concussions and received stitches/staples in their heads, arms, and legs. Both still have memory issues as a result of the attack.

Less then ONE WEEK later, in the same place,..Richmond,Va. A local high school two white 17yo males tried to put a noose around an african-american students neck. Again, clearly a racially motivated hate-crime. They were both charged with FELONIES and sentenced to serve time behind bars. I know a couple of the faculty at the particular school this happened. Now I'm not saying the two white males do not deserve punishment, but this again made national media coverage. Only this time it was full of "RACISM IN AMERICA", and what a "HORRIBLE HATE CRIME" it was. Now I'm sure the victim was upset and hurt, I can't blame him for being upset. But he was also not nearly beaten to death either.

I know people who personally witnessed/were involved in both instances, so I am NOT basing my opinions on media. See the hypocrisy? Two white victims with african-american attackers? Not a hate-crime. One african-american victim with white attackers? Hate crime.

I mention those two instances because they give fuel to the fire of racism and show perfect examples of racism, and things like that irritate people who pay attention or folks who watch the news and keep making racism an issue.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Ah Crap! Took a break from the morning chores to relax for awhile and read DC and THIS is the hot topic of the day? Guess it's back to the barn for awhile. Jebus!!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    ...Eric Holder...
    I believe you misspelled his name... it's Eric With-Holder.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I post this only as an FYI to the lot of you that somehow find the time to complain about this topic:

You don't have to click on it.

Keep calm and carry on.
    Crowman, mlr1m and ericb327 like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

any group will start talking about any other group when they are alone it's our nature.Leave it alone only time will fix this let's move on.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "Death Overcomes All"
    "All it takes for Evil to triumph is for Good men to stand by and do nothing"

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The good thing is that people mostly have to whisper words that were largely acceptable 40 years ago.
    Unfortunately, some have learned to use cries of racism as a weapon, for which there is little to no defense, and use it falsely for this purpose. The quoted sentence is one potential reason why. Everybody has their biases. Some can't see past them, while others can. This thread makes me think of a situation / scenario thread I posted a while back in which I mentioned being approached by a white girl wearing a hoodie. It sure didn't take long before accusations of racism and prejudice against blacks started flying, all sparked by the word hoodie. Gee, now, who was being racist there?
    Spirit51 likes this.

Have you ever seen blacks, whites, hispanics, Bohemians, Eskimos and American Indians play together as young kids? It's a wonderful thing. Parents ruin everything, just like in youth sports.
    Ghettokracker71 likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    later in the day ---it dawns on me why one ( feminimism ) succeeded while another fails ( racism) to achieve--

cause the former wanted to succeed while the later exists to ferment strife.
    there is more power/profit/political gain by fueling the battle than in it resolution.

so the pawns, the 'repressed' peoples get raped by their own leaders
    and fight for scraps among themselves.

i'll say it again--one was an ideal and the other is follow the money.
    mlk had a dream--an ideal; and he was taken out of the game by those who had (still have) an agenda
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Racism is an agenda driven emotion controlled by labial democrats and the media for the most part.
    Exactly. It's virtually non-existent in these days, and 99% of the people claiming it are just looking for a reason to stir the pot. In fact, with all the tax credits, job preferences, and whatnot, I'd argue it's flipped and there's more of an issue with discrimination of non-minorities.

In this country, you can succeed no matter what you are or where you came from. You just have to be willing to actually work.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Are race car drivers racist???
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post

Anyone who gets their programming from Huffington post or ABC news is a jackass of the highest order.
    I am sure someone can say the same for the other sources where one would not be a jackass of the highest order. Just saying......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Administrator
    You'all are free to discuss the topic of racism - just keep politics...and Dems and Cans out of it.
    Not sure if that's possible but, you'll need to try hard in order for this thread to remain open.

So far only some members seem to be able to do that.

Be mindful of what you are about to post & if it's political - Don't post it. How simple is that?

Pretty doggone simple.
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links