Racism in America - Page 4

Racism in America

This is a discussion on Racism in America within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; From what I've seen, the racism card only comes out when someone can't do something based on their own merit. At work, I passed an ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Racism in America

From what I've seen, the racism card only comes out when someone can't do something based on their own merit.

At work, I passed an employee (who just happened to be black) who had worked for the company longer than I did for a promotion. This made him the oldest regular employee. When he got passed over for this supervisory position, he got all pissy and started talking like he was going to sue for discrimination. Where I work, everything you do is documented in their computer system from the time you enter the building to the time you leave, so HR basically printed up everything he did for the past month, and showed how he was the last one in, first one out, and was just barely meeting productivity standards. On the other hand, in the same timeframe, every day I came early to make sure everything was in order for the shift to start right away, stayed late to help clean up, and exceeded productivity standards.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Thanks for posting, the thread did not derail. Probably because I did not respond.

Some good thoughts and insight, some pointing of fingers and some pretty disheartening thoughts.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Yes it is, racism in the forms of preferences for the dominate race in jobs, clubs, housing, some private education - and continuing in some parts of the country with the Law Enforcement and Judicial system. And then there is the assigning of a racial term as the descriptive label for negative phenomena simply because that contains a predominant race. So, a ghetto with much crime and much poverty or poor schools could be identified by any of those terms: "the poor area" that area of high crime" etc - but the identifier becomes the majority race living there "The Black Area":

And there are stereotypes of races. What was out and out discrimination is often now prejudice. And some of horrible violence of lynching, complete set-ups for court cases with Death the verdict are less common.

And, no, most racists do not believe they're racist.
    ericb327 and Hopyard like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    .... If he'd only known how much more I look like my dad than my mom. I had a brief desire to punch out both of his teeth, but then realized I pitied him more than I disliked him, and he had no idea how much he engendered all the stereotypes contained in the equally racist term of "white trash."
    Racism is the vestigal remnant of man's tribal fear... of other tribes... Born from times when survival was tenuous, and every other tribe/clan was a competitor for food, hunting ground, etc. What could designate one tribe from another more easily than appearance (skin color)?

Technology has made the world so much smaller now that you really don't have any autonomous tribes anymore. In the next 50-75 years, a person a child born in America that does NOT have some mix of White, Black, Native American, Asian, Hispanic, Arabic, or Hindu will be a rare occurence. At that point, the only way to remain racist will be to work really hard at staying uneducated, isolated, fearful, or just plain hateful... Unfortunately, what you'll be fearful or hateful of is really just yourself...
    ericb327, walleye and shockwave like this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    There's only one race: the human race. All else are just minor genetic differences in skin pigmentation, hair follicles, eye color, and other superficial characteristics which have no more bearing on a person than what shoes they wear.

I'm more concerned with culture, which has a greater influence on human behavior than what shade of brown someone's skin color is.
    WHEC724, Hopyard, walleye and 3 others like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Racism (against blacks) has changed in the last 100 years. Old time racism was a belief that a black man was mentally inferior to whites. Old time racism believed that a black man was actually a lower form of man. That misconception has been proven false.

Modern racism against blacks is more practical. Many (including some here on this board) fear/hate blacks because of the higher propensity of violence coming out of the black community. Also, many feel the intense hatred projected by the black culture against whites. They reflect that hatred right back, because it's easy to allow yourself to hate someone when they hate you. It's not right but it's easy to fall into an us VS them mentality.
    JoJoGunn and Spirit51 like this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Racism (against blacks) has changed in the last 100 years. Old time racism was a belief that a black man was mentally inferior to whites. Old time racism believed that a black man was actually a lower form of man. That misconception has been proven false.

Modern racism against blacks is more practical. Many (including some here on this board) fear/hate blacks because of the higher propensity of violence coming out of the black community. Also, many feel the intense hatred projected by the black culture against whites. They reflect that hatred right back, because it's easy to allow yourself to hate someone when they hate you. It's not right but it's easy to fall into an us VS them mentality.
    Timmy I hear what you are saying. The us VS them, is being shoved down our throats by the media and the folks like jackson and sharpton. The hate being projected is bigger than we realize, I fear it will cause some sort of crap storm....
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I know Bill has fallen in and out of favor with black, white, and other communities, but this is a great video on the topic from 40 years ago.

Hopyard likes this.

Race is TEMPORARY:

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    There's only one race: the human race. All else are just minor genetic differences in skin pigmentation, hair follicles, eye color, and other superficial characteristics which have no more bearing on a person than what shoes they wear.

I'm more concerned with culture, which has a greater influence on human behavior than what shade of brown someone's skin color is.
    That is exactly right. Moreover they are temporary - (that is over decades of thousands of years) - adaptations to an environment and produce pigment, height, body-build and other characteristics we call "race". But over tens of thousands of years, both thru inter-mating and migration, one group with these slight variations in DNA will end up in a different climate and have therefore different "racial" characteristics.

So, I'm from a genetic group, Northern European. Specifically Irish in terms of locale, which is usually thought of as Celtic. And true - for a long time it has been derived from the Celtic "tribe" - BUT, Celts originated in Eastern Europe, so ancestors of mine thousands upon thousands of year ago, looked different than present day Nothern Euopeans/Irish - me - because they weren't located there.

An interesting experiment was run by a High School teacher who had many different "races" and "nationalities" in his class. With the help of an advanced scientist friend, he did long-term DNA/gentic testing on each member of the class, to uncover original tribal groups (tribal meaning common genetic similarities) to see if any students were from the same remote ancestors.

7 were. Only some I remember: Among them were: an African American, a half-African American (forgot what the other half was), a half-Oriental girl, a blonde-haired, fair skinned student of Norwegian decent and also I think another African American, something like this were "the group". Their common "mother-ancestor" was thousands of thousands of year before: an Asian-derived woman. This all really threw the students off, they were so used to identifying as an "always - African American", or always-white Northern European, that the news their races were different far, far, far back, in time shook their identities. It was all "temporary".

Whatever our "race' is, it's a minute environmental adaptation that will change, and has changed. Be careful if you hate a race - it may be the race of your descendants - or maybe the race of your of your great, great (to the nth degree) grandparents. Surprise!
    Last edited by walleye; June 20th, 2012 at 05:33 AM.
    GunTrooper and Hopyard like this.

And the beat goes on.........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Race is just a handy way to pick up sides. We are very resourceful. we would find other reasons to pick sides if race went away. A persons religion has worked very well in the past for a reason to kill or discriminate. Its harder to spot a Catholic at one hundred yard than it is to spot a person of a different race but we will find ways to work around that.

Michael
    walleye and atctimmy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Race is just a handy way to pick up sides. We are very resourceful. we would find other reasons to pick sides if race went away. A persons religion has worked very well in the past for a reason to kill or discriminate. Its harder to spot a Catholic at one hundred yard than it is to spot a person of a different race but we will find ways to work around that.

Michael
    That's an excellent observation; instead of hating "Blacks" or "Mexican" it would be: "People with Runny Noses"
    Last edited by walleye; June 21st, 2012 at 04:31 AM.

Congatulations!

When I first read a thread on Racism, I though, Holy Moly, is THAT going to be filled with irrational invective. But the great majority of posters have a very refreshing view(s) and ideas about this and a true discussion. It really is an intelligent discussion. Congratulations to all for their maturity and wisdom! - and not taking the easy low-road.
    GunTrooper, ericb327 and msgt/ret like this.

Walter Williams weighs in on the subject of racism from the pages of this mornings Investor Business Daily:

Holding Blacks To A Different, Lower, Standard Than Whites Is Racist - Investors.com

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Its harder to spot a Catholic at one hundred yard than it is to spot a person of a different race but we will find ways to work around that.
    A few years ago, I and a few others went out for lunch. As we were leaving the restaurant, I saw this small group of girls walking in. One of the girls, who had nice attributes, was wearing a strapless shirt that covered the bottom 80% of her torso and while looking at her, I said "yank". My friend turns to me and said, "what?", to which I repeated, "yank". He starts looking around, saying, "where?, where?" and I pointed out the girl with the shirt saying that someone needs to give it a good tug. My friend sees her and says, "Oh, I thought you meant that you saw some Yankees!" .
    msgt/ret, atctimmy and walleye like this.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links