Racism in America - Page 5

Racism in America

This is a discussion on Racism in America within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by noway2 A few years ago, I and a few others went out for lunch. As we were leaving the restaurant, I saw ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Racism in America

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    A few years ago, I and a few others went out for lunch. As we were leaving the restaurant, I saw this small group of girls walking in. One of the girls, who had nice attributes, was wearing a strapless shirt that covered the bottom 80% of her torso and while looking at her, I said "yank". My friend turns to me and said, "what?", to which I repeated, "yank". He starts looking around, saying, "where?, where?" and I pointed out the girl with the shirt saying that someone needs to give it a good tug. My friend sees her and says, "Oh, I thought you meant that you saw some Yankees!" .
    Why does the south hate Yankees? I've often wondered. I have heard some talk about the civil war as being the root cause. Is that really it?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Why does the south hate Yankees? I've often wondered. I have heard some talk about the civil war as being the root cause. Is that really it?
    At one time, no doubt. What I find puzzling is the lingering cultural and political differences notwithstanding
    the fact that we are: 1_ A highly mobile society where a native Yankee as myself may live 40 years in the South;
    and the other way around; and this is very common; 2_ Nearly all of our shopping is accomplished in big box
    stores which have effectively wiped out regional differences in marketing. I often see Winter clothes for sale
    around here starting in late August; because that is how it is done in Boston or NY or Minneapolis. 3_National
    television and news media, to say nothing of the very inexpensive communications we have nowadays.

The wonder is that regional differences persist.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson...
    Indeed

Never see white or black..........................always shades of Gray.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I live in the South and I don't hate Yankees. To me, Yankees are like hemroids: They come down when you least expect it, and never want to go back up
    Harryball and msgt/ret like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    We don't hate yankees, but we do hate when they move down here and say "Back up North we do it like this." (implying it is better up there).
    msgt/ret likes this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The "yankee" bit reminds me of another odd occurrence. Around the same time frame, perhaps a bit earlier, than the last one, a friend of mine, my wife, and I took two vehicles (with some equipment) from central NC to Toccoa, GA. I drove a Uhaul with hand written cardboard temp tags from AZ across 3 states and back without getting stopped, but that is for another day.

We stopped at a gas station. I pumped fuel while my friend got coffee, then I went in the store. I thought my store visit quite routine. I came out and my friend said to me, "you shouldn't have gone in there!". I asked why and he said, "didn't they say anything to you?". I said no, and he said, "they told me that my kind wasn't wanted here. They didn't tell you that?". I said no, they were fine with me. My friend is from CT originally, maybe that was showing?

What I figure is that when he walked in that the clerk said "good morning" and he ignored her, pegging him as a Yankee.

I've discussed this subject before (why the hatred of Yankees) and been told that most of it is in how you act, that gets you pegged. Some would say speech, but I've known native borns to have zero accent.

Being a transplant from the midwest, I noticed a change occur several years back. When we would go someplace, we used to be asked "where y'all from originally?". This eventually became "Y'alls originally from here right?". This happened right about the time when people started saying, "you know, THEM Yankees ...".

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

No, no! had nothing to do with it. Hatred of hockey imported over the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    At one time, no doubt. What I find puzzling is the lingering cultural and political differences notwithstanding
    the fact that we are: 1_ A highly mobile society where a native Yankee as myself may live 40 years in the South;
    and the other way around; and this is very common; 2_ Nearly all of our shopping is accomplished in big box
    stores which have effectively wiped out regional differences in marketing. I often see Winter clothes for sale
    around here starting in late August; because that is how it is done in Boston or NY or Minneapolis. 3_National
    television and news media, to say nothing of the very inexpensive communications we have nowadays.

The wonder is that regional differences persist.
    I think animosity of North/South is much less from these things you mention - though it's still around. If Lincoln had lived, the Peace would have generated peace. But, he didn't live... And this wasn't true of just him.

There's a great story I read or heard once:

At Richmond's most famous church, whose parishioners were the upper crust of Richmond Southern society, right after the South lost the War and surrendered, the church saw one Sunday a return of their service for the first time in years to a new time when the guns were silent.

At that sacred time in the service when Holy Communion was given out, there was a slight pause as always when people are going to get up to go the front. No one wants to be first. In the pause, an African American women slowly walked down the aisle and then kneeled at the altar rail. Alone she remained.

No one in the church, all white and the vestiges of the highest Southern aristocracy, knew how to react - even the Minister froze half-way to the railing where he was going to give out the Hosts. It wasn't animosity. It was like seeing a Martian walk in - there was no cultural foundation for who they only knew as slaves walking even into that church, let alone going up first to the altar rail for Communion. Everyone just stared in bewilderment, no one moved. There was an agonized paralysis. An absolute confusion of expectation.

Then an old grey-haired man, sitting in the front row, slowly stood and made his way to the rail - and as slowly lowered himself to his knees - right next to the African-American woman.

The man was Robert E Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    I think animosity of North/South is much less from these things you mention - though it's still around. If Lincoln had lived, the Peace would have generated peace. But, he didn't live... And this wasn't true of just him.

There's a great story I read or heard once:

At Richmond's most famous church, whose parishioners were the upper crust of Richmond Southern society, right after the South lost the War and surrendered, the church saw one Sunday a return of their service for the first time in years to a new time when the guns were silent.

At that sacred time in the service when Holy Communion was given out, there was a slight pause as always when people are going to get up to go the front. No one wants to be first. In the pause, an African American women slowly walked down the aisle and then kneeled at the altar railing waiting for the Communion Host.

No one in the church, all white and the vestiges of high Southern society knew how to react - even the Minister froze half-way to the railing as he was going to give out the Hosts. It wasn't animosity. It was like seeing a Martian walk in - there was no cultural foundation for who they only knew as slaves walking even into that church, let alone going up first for Communion. Everyone just stared in bewilderment, no one moved. There was an agonized paralysis. An absolute confusion of expectation.

Then an old grey-haired man, sitting in the front row, slowly stood and made his way to the rail - and as slowly lowered himself to his knees right next to the African-American woman.

The man was Robert E Lee.

They called them African-Americans back then? I didn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    They called them African-Americans back then? I didn't know that.
    I wasn't back then. Now they call "them" African-American - just as they call you Non African-American.

And that's what you got from the story.
    Sorry, I'm not the sentimental type. My apology.

I wasn't back then. Now they call "them" African-American. Just as they call you Non African-American.
    I'm just an American, pure and simple, and that works for me. On the multitudes of forms I have filled out I have never seen a box for Non African-American, but you can call me whatever you want. I wasn't back then either, but I did study history in school and thought your story in bold was verbatim and I was just asking a question. Sorry again if I offended you or your story, but I did apologize.

I don't think unless you were actually from Africa and now a American you should be called African American. I knew some people who moved here who came from South Africa....real African Americans...who were white.

Unless you have duel countries.....you were born in America....that makes you a American.

The black people (when necessary to give a description) I know called us of paler skin "white"....they refereed to themselves as "black". That is what I use now. I didn't take any disrespect from being called "white" and meant none when I used "black".

Life is hard enough without referring to others by the Linage of their ancestors. That would make me Welsh, English, Scottish, Native American, Irish American. Add German to my daughter's and add Belgium to my grand daughter. We are all three one thing....AMERICANS and damn happy to be so.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I don't think unless you were actually from Africa and now a American you should be called African American. I knew some people who moved here who came from South Africa....real African Americans...who were white.

Unless you have duel countries.....you were born in America....that makes you a American.

The black people (when necessary to give a description) I know called us of paler skin "white"....they refereed to themselves as "black". That is what I use now. I didn't take any disrespect from being called "white" and meant none when I used "black".

Life is hard enough without referring to others by the Linage of their ancestors. That would make me Welsh, English, Scottish, Native American, Irish American. Add German to my daughter's and add Belgium to my grand daughter. We are all three one thing....AMERICANS and damn happy to be so.
    Hey walleye read the above, then read it again, then one more time so it sinks in.....

Nice post Spirit.....
    Spirit51 and msgt/ret like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Sponsored Links