Racism in America - Page 6

Racism in America

This is a discussion on Racism in America within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In all honesty I was wondering if that term actually originated immediately after the Civil War and was actually used in the above story as ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Racism in America

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    In all honesty I was wondering if that term actually originated immediately after the Civil War and was actually used in the above story as posted. It was not in the history books I was taught, but then again that was many moons ago and historians may have changed some things since I was a school boy.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    In all honesty I was wondering if that term actually originated immediately after the Civil War and was actually used in the above story as posted. It was not in the history books I was taught, but then again that was many moons ago and historians may have changed some things since I was a school boy.
    No need to be sorry, you asked an honest question. Some people are PC when it comes to talking about racism, they let there emotions run amuck.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Using the term "African Americans" was started in the late 80s and picked up steam in the 90s. It is just another way to divide people. I refuse to use it unless the person was indeed FROM Africa before coming to America. Like I said....I knew a family of white African Americans who moved here. My daughter had a friend at work who came here from Kenya...she was black. THOSE are African Americans. Like my son in law is a Belgium American. He just got his Citizenship here after years of jumping through hoops and putting out loads of dough. He prefers to be called one thing.....AMERICAN. Which I do with pride.
    Last edited by Spirit51; June 21st, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Originally Posted by Sig35seven
    Why does the south hate Yankees? I've often wondered. I have heard some talk about the civil war as being the root cause. Is that really it?
    Cuzz they talk too damn fast and they have a funny accent.

Michael
    msgt/ret and walleye like this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    I believe that every human is a racist, that it's in our make-up. It's how we react or act on those racist feelings that sums us up as an individual.

Think about it...can you honestly say that you haven't associated at least one bad trait to a person based on their perceived race? Can you truthfully state that you've never, ever had a negative thought when seeing a person of a particular race?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. This is just as true of the man who puts "native" before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance. But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as any one else.

The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic. The men who do not become Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans; and there ought to be no room for them in this country. The man who calls himself an American citizen and who yet shows by his actions that he is primarily the citizen of a foreign land, plays a thoroughly mischievous part in the life of our body politic. He has no place here; and the sooner he returns to the land to which he feels his real heart-allegiance, the better it will be for every good American. There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

For an American citizen to vote as a German-American, an Irish-American, or an English-American, is to be a traitor to American institutions; and those hyphenated Americans who terrorize American politicians by threats of the foreign vote are engaged in treason to the American Republic.

- Theodore Roosevelt, 1915
    Spirit51, atctimmy, OD* and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    ...Eric Holder...
    Add also Louis Farrakhan of the Nation of Islam into the picture as well as the New Black Panther Party.

I have had a nice conversation with a black guy once who asked me what I thought about the term "African-American" to which he said quite proudly, he did not call himself. He said he was not born in Africa and did not feel any kinship towards it, and most likely his ancestors were brought from Africa to here, but that was about it. He said that he hoped I would not be offended by the question. I told him, I wasn't and the only thing that I could come up with was this.

True, your ancestors came from Africa, the same as mine came from Europe and the British Isles. I suggested that since black people have only had roughly 200+ year history in this country, they may be looking for something to identify with. I told him that he simply was an American. He smiled and said, "I like that, it makes sense." He shook my hand and told me that he really enjoyed the conversation and that we connected. I have felt very good about that ever since, we were able to talk about things like that, and not be offended at all. So It can be done.

The other was a comedian I saw in Nashville, TN named Tim Northern. He opened for Jeff Dunham, the puppet guy. Tim was so funny, never said one bad word but opened his act with this dry sarcastic joke.

"I got some bad news." "Yeah, found out I came from a mixed marriage!" "Yep, true. My Dad is African-American, my Mom is Black, my Grandfather is Negro and my Grandmother is Coloured!" Yeah, imagine that!"

The guy was a hoot. He made so much fun of this that I believe he hammered home the point that it was silly.
    Spirit51 and msgt/ret like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Cuzz they talk too damn fast and they have a funny accent.

Michael
    Don't be worried at not understanding what northern people are saying. They can't understand you either.

I guess it's as good a reason you need to hate someone.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Born in America
    Raised in America
    Served to defend America
    That makes me an American!!!!

I'm a black man and when I went to Nigeria, I felt out of place. I didn't feel any kinship until my feet were back on American soil. America is the land of my birth and the only land I will claim as home.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Thanks for posting, the thread did not derail. Probably because I did not respond.

Some good thoughts and insight, some pointing of fingers and some pretty disheartening thoughts.
    Frankly I think you're baiting, we had a conversation about this in another thread and I think it's a little too easy for you to make statements about racism and then claim the high road by saying "I didn't respond"
    Spirit51 likes this.

Administrator
    I was actually adopted out of an orphanage and I am of Unknown Earlier Ancestry.

I consider myself to be a 100% BastardAmerican.

So Yes, if any of you members ever find yourselves thinking that is what I am after I have deleted or edited one of your posts....you're right. I am...& PROUD of it.
    atctimmy, OD*, Spirit51 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    Born in America
    Raised in America
    Served to defend America
    That makes me an American!!!!

I'm a black man and when I went to Nigeria, I felt out of place. I didn't feel any kinship until my feet were back on American soil. America is the land of my birth and the only land I will claim as home.
    Are you feeling dejavu from a few months ago?

All ready discussed this with the op starting at post 84, I'm not retyping all that.
    Race Baiting

It has been said there are two kinds of people in the world, racists and liars.
    ArkhmAsylm likes this.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links