Racism in America

This is a discussion on Racism in America within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by NH_Esau There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Racism in America

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. This is just as true of the man who puts "native" before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance. But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as any one else.

The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic. The men who do not become Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans; and there ought to be no room for them in this country. The man who calls himself an American citizen and who yet shows by his actions that he is primarily the citizen of a foreign land, plays a thoroughly mischievous part in the life of our body politic. He has no place here; and the sooner he returns to the land to which he feels his real heart-allegiance, the better it will be for every good American. There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

For an American citizen to vote as a German-American, an Irish-American, or an English-American, is to be a traitor to American institutions; and those hyphenated Americans who terrorize American politicians by threats of the foreign vote are engaged in treason to the American Republic.

- Theodore Roosevelt, 1915
    Great post, the hyphenated American label is one of my biggest pet peeves and one of the most divisive ways to separate people. When it comes to XXXX-American are you either XXXX or American?
    Spirit51 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    It has been said there are two kinds of people in the world, racists and liars.
    Actually, there are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

It's also been said, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Monica Lewinsky," "I am not a crook," "the private sector is doing fine," and "I didn't do it."

There's a difference between a racist and someone who comes to grip with the racism in his worldview.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Hey walleye read the above, then read it again, then one more time so it sinks in.....

Nice post Spirit.....
    To the person that wrote this: Please don't kill a good thread by treating fellow members like idiots - it can be the worse thing you do.

the current way of talking about this group of people that I hear and that causes no feeling of being stereotyped and is used by those it describes at least some of the time is what I used. If you'd like to use none at all or something different then go ahead. One thought would be to ask whoever they may be what term they like being referred to - including nothing.

interesting this is the reaction to the story about Robert E Lee.

AND NOW: why not get back to the main topic - which was far beyond what one should or not use as a term: -

I will do just fine without racism. I still have them Longhorns, Jayhawkers and Miami heat folks to hate.

Michael
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Cuzz they talk too damn fast and they have a funny accent.
    Michael
    My family was lured from rural Tennessee to Michigan by Henry Ford's offer of $5/day. Eventually I showed up and although by that time everyone had pretty much lost their southern drawl, I have been told I pronounce some words funny. Perhaps my enuciation was reinforced by annual family vacations which were taken in the South. When I started working landscaping during high school I was assigned the task of tidying up the gravesites of a rich customer's parents. Since I had no clue where the gravesites were, the woman hopped into my pickup truck to serve as the navigator. On the drive over she started to warn me about the caretaker who was sure to stop by when he saw us. She explained that he was the nicest man she had ever known and she didn't want to hurt his feelings but he had a horrible speech impediment that made it virtually impossible to understand him. She said that over the years of interacting with him she had been able to develop the skill to decipher his communications and that I should let her do the talking. She went on to speculate that perhaps this is what relegated him to such a menial job. Her monolgue went on the entire 30 minutes of our trip and by the time we arrived I was expecting Quasimodo to emerge from behind one of the tombstones. Sure enough, before I could even get the tools unloaded, here came the caretaker. In a thick Georgia drawl he said: "Hi, how ya'all doing?" I couldn't help myself from laughing out loud (or from ridiculing the woman on the trip back). I never was asked to tidy up her parent's graves again.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    First, the comments about Southern Drawl reminded me of this: Junior - Rock 92 It is an archive from a radio program where they impersonate a phone call from Junior from Montgomery County, NC with junior being a stereotypical, ignorant southern hick. Today I find the skits to be absolutely hilarious, but 10 years ago when I first moved to NC they were a surprising indoctrination into Southern culture. Lets say I was nervous the first time I went to Montgomery County.

Also, if we can please excuse one more hyphenated name comment, as I believe that it highlights a unique aspect of racism and sheds some light on the "african-american" term. In my last job, I a middle aged white man, became good friends with a black female coworker, Lena. In fact, we and our spouses all became good friends. Her parents immigrated from Ethiopia as did her husband. She rejected the term African-American as insulting, referring to herself as American yet point out that she had more claim to the term than most that use the term. (Besides, what about blacks from the Caribbean or Australia, they certainly aren't African-American).

I too find find the term very distasteful and would consider its use one of my pet peeves. I think it exemplifies, personifies, characterizes, however you want to put it the attitude or (I hate to say it) culture that contributes to racism.

Back to my friend, Lena, once wound up in the near east side of Cleveland, Oh, outside of the university on E-105. There are a few forum members who will recognize the area and the region has been mention in the "good, bad, ugly" section a few times, usually in the ugly category. Well, Lena wound up in this area and was approached by some local residents and point blank told to "get out" because "her kind" wasn't welcome there. My point being that racism, especially that as exemplified by the "African American" culture is not entirely a skin color, as Lena was apparently not black enough.

Here is another funny transplant story: Lena grew up in Minnesota and moved to Richmond, VA, where I knew her. Shortly after moving she was at a Ukrops (a local grocery store that has since sold). One of the policies of Ukrops was to not use the 'belts' for groceries but instead to pull the "buggy" (cart to the Yankees) up to the register, talk to the customers, and not start on the next customer until the current one has removed all their bags. Well, as a new transplant Lena got impatient, stood there, crossed her arms, and started tapping her foot in obvious annoyance. The clerk stopped, looked at her, and slowly said, "Well, bless your heart". Lena, who thought she was being nice, not realizing that the clerk was telling her she was acting inappropriately, said "why thank you!"

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    To the person that wrote this: Please don't kill a good thread by treating fellow members like idiots - it can be the worse thing you do.

the current way of talking about this group of people that I hear and that causes no feeling of being stereotyped and is used by those it describes at least some of the time is what I used. If you'd like to use none at all or something different then go ahead. One thought would be to ask whoever they may be what term they like being referred to - including nothing.

interesting this is the reaction to the story about Robert E Lee.

AND NOW: why not get back to the main topic - which was far beyond what one should or not use as a term: -
    I wrote it. Please take your own advise. In bold....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I wrote it. Please take your own advise. In bold....
    And I haven't. I use the term I just posted in a story about Robert R Lee that factually is used extensively including in many situations by many people: at offices that deal in the investigation of racism, by African-Americans themselves at times, as well as many others - I know that from my work that has been involved heavily at times with issues of discrimination. This story was not addressed to you to begin with, you have some internal reaction to a term used that tolerates nothing, makes the use of the term mean something nefarious about those who use it, which is the same process of labeling as in racism - and allowed you to post an insulting note to me.

This is your thing, and you were and are being given the strong suggestion to to keep it that way. Your strong anger at the "us vs them" mentality with regard to my story and your note is but an example of "us vs them" - while missing the actual story which is about healing, not separation.

Please return to your former fine relationship with me when we didn't know each other.

At the least, I wouldn't run about impugning people as idiotic - even on a forum. First rule of good health, my grandmother always told me, "Avoid insulting people you don't know".

Now I'm going back to the tread, and I invite you too as well.

And so, Back to the Thread:

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    And I haven't. I use the term I just posted in a story about Robert R Lee that factually is used extensively including in many situations by many people: at offices that deal in the investigation of racism, by African-Americans themselves at times, as well as many others - I know that from my work that has been involved heavily at times with issues of discrimination. This story was not addressed to you to begin with, you have some internal reaction to a term used that tolerates nothing, makes the use of the term mean something nefarious about those who use it, which is the same process of labeling as in racism - and allowed you to post an insulting note to me.

This is your thing, and you were and are being given the strong suggestion to to keep it that way. Your strong anger at the "us vs them" mentality with regard to my story and your note is but an example of "us vs them" - while missing the actual story which is about healing, not separation.

Please return to your former fine relationship with me when we didn't know each other.

At the least, I wouldn't run about impugning people as idiotic - even on a forum. First rule of good health, my grandmother always told me, "Avoid insulting people you don't know".

Now I'm going back to the tread, and I invite you too as well.

And so, Back to the Thread:
    Once again trying to put words into peoples mouths. You have know Idea what my thing is. Im not angry, Im not even the least bit interested to be honest. I have never had an issue with the black community. I think your bleeding heart has gotten to your head on this one. You are right about one thing. Time to get back to the thread.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

In Before closed ; )
    H/D
    atctimmy likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    In Before closed ; )
    H/D
    And the 100th post!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I didn't think the thread would have survived this long.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

If Mr. Obama is really president "Zero" in some people's eyes on this forum that probably would make some of us here as citzen negative 25 or negative 30. Maybe give that a little thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    If Mr. Obama is really president "Zero" in some people's eyes on this forum that probably would make some of us here as citzen negative 25 or negative 30. Maybe give that a little thought.
    I'm not following you.

If I may here fellas. Racism will never go away as long as we have things like this....

"WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER! But by the way, are you white not of hispanic origin, black, hispanic, aisian...?"

What exactly is meant by equal? If it was, wouldn't you think that they wouldn't have to know what race the applicants are? As soon as governments get rid of affirmative action and people can hire others based on merit rather than color or plumbing count, I would say that's only a start. By definition, affirmative action IS racist. To me, equal would be, whoever can do the job the best and is the most qualified gets it. Period! I don't care what race, religeon, gender, sexual preference you are / have. For example: I wouldn't want Urkel OR PeeWee Herman pulling my butt out of harms way during combat, would you? On the other hand, I'm sure that Colin Powell in his prime was plenty qualified.

Anyone in this whole country can make something of themselves if they stay in school, work hard and all else in the path to success and it's sad to see that we even have to lower test scores based on race. So let's start with getting rid of this attitude in our government first, then we can start to try and convince people that we are all equal and that it's what WE make of ourselves that will put us above another, not our color.

Go ahead and just type in "lowering test scores" That's all you have to put in and you'll see what I mean.

I watched a documentary one time about the life of Colin Powell and one thing that stuck in my mind is what his attitude was as his mother explained. She said that he was the type that no matter what job he had, he was going to be the best at it. If his job was to mop the floor, then he was going to do a better job than anyone ever has. And I have used this example when talking to my kids about work ethic. Was it because he was white? No. Black? No. It's because it's a damn good attitude to have and it's too bad people want the standards to be lowered to them, rather than working themselves up to the standards.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links