One of the other reasons NRA annoys me

This is a discussion on One of the other reasons NRA annoys me within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by suntzu Anyaway as if you care I am a libertarian. I actually laughed when I read that. A libertarian believes in "Live ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: One of the other reasons NRA annoys me

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Anyaway as if you care I am a libertarian.
    I actually laughed when I read that. A libertarian believes in "Live and Let Live." You seem to be hurt that we aren't all following your example. (Note: I think the main reason libertarians can't build a political following is the fact that an independent spirit and blind followership are mutually exclusive.)

And also someone that likes to use critical thinking and not have half the information shoved up my throat.
    If you are a libertarian, you get half-truths shoved at you from both sides. You get used to it. I find it laughable that you imply that the only possible conclusion a critical thinker would come to is the exact same one as you did. Two people can look at an ideological issue and come to different conclusions. It's part of what keeps life interesting--until you meet people that are unable to agree to disagree. You'll notice that most of us agree on the current conduct of the NRA (as you point out later). We just choose to handle it differently.

As far as not giving the NRA my money anymore it is my way of telling them I want change. I want real information, not skewed to one side. I don't like when I look something up that Mr. LaPierre is going crazy about and find out either it is not as worse as he says or is not even accurate. And just sometimes I do not agree with every stance the NRA has.
    Neither do most of us, as you point out next.

Funny thing is most folks so far seem to agree about the annoyance that the NRA does by the constant emails and mails and a lot do not like the way they peddle fear and doomsday scenarios. Instead of folks saying STOP IT and I will still be a member they throw up their hands and say whatever,,,,it is all we got.
    Why does this surprise you? You hear this argument (especially if you are a libertarian, as you claim) all the time about the Republican party. Do you stay and try to fix it, or is it beyond repair? I feel the NRA is worth fixing, so I'm staying for now. Besides, who are they more likely to listen to--someone who pays dues or one of the millions of gun owners who aren't paying for Wayne's makeup and wardrobe?

You have made your choice. Go in peace. I wish you well.
    Stubborn and phreddy like this.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    followership

Is that a real word?
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    You want perfection. Good luck.
    I didn't say i wanted perfection. I was responding to your post which would could have been written by the NRA or GOA
    Badey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    followership

Is that a real word?
    Webster thinks so, for whatever that's worth. Followership - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member
    Well learn something new everyday.

I like the Synonyms; Audience, Cult, Following. That will be the next thing in the news that the NRA has a cult following.

Ok back to me watching for the entertainment value, it's a slow day.
    suntzu and Herknav like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Here are four easy steps that will eventually separate you from your guns, and the US will become like those "other" countries:

1. Don't join the NRA or any other pro-gun group. Gripe about their efforts, rhetoric, fundraising attempts and their "bias". Stifle others from joining.

2. Don't vote at all and/or don't consider any politician's stance of guns.

3. Never write or phone your legislator about you being in favor of some pending pro-gun legislation; or against some pending anti-gun legislation.

4. Portray yourself as an unsafe irresponsible gun owner. Alarm the public, motivate them to vote anti-gun.

These aren't directed to anyone here in particular, they are just my version of the risk of "shooting ourselves in the foot".
    Stubborn likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Here are four easy steps that will eventually separate you from your guns, and the US will become like those "other" countries:

1. Don't join the NRA or any other pro-gun group. Gripe about their efforts, rhetoric, fundraising attempts and their "bias". Stifle others from joining.

2. Don't vote at all and/or don't consider any politician's stance of guns.

3. Never write or phone your legislator about you being in favor of some pending pro-gun legislation; or against some pending anti-gun legislation.

4. Portray yourself as an unsafe irresponsible gun owner. Alarm the public, motivate them to vote anti-gun.

These aren't directed to anyone here in particular, they are just my version of the risk of "shooting ourselves in the foot".
    Beleive it or not I agree with all of the above. Except parts of #1. No organization should present biased information to its members. Sorry, but that is just wrong. Discuss the issues and don't peddle fear. Ammo prices are an example. They are not going up becasue of Obama. They are going up becasue of supply and demand and folks are getting nervous about Obama getting reelected. There is still no direct prrof that he will do anything to undermine the 2 A.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Like it or not, all these groups (NRA, GOA, etc. to include Brady Bunch) are businesses. Even though the actual businesses are non-profit, there are expenses and the employees are not non-profit - they must have a revenue stream of some sort. Most people tend to forget about making donations and if these non-profit organizations don't remind people they lose their revenue. Renewals of "intangibles", like memberships to things other than organizations that are used often like clubs, are low so, again, people need to be reminded. I've found that the amount of mail has decreased, which is what members wanted. I've often heard emails are what members would prefer. It's very easy to set up a filter - don't see what the trouble is. Like someone else said - telemarketers exist b/c the business model works, these organizations use mass marketing b/c it works. When getting people to open their wallets, emotion always trumps logic - ask any salesperson.

Just b/c you don't see attacks on the 2nd Amend locally, doesn't mean it isn't happening. I know someone who recently wanted to open a 1000 yd shooting range. His first obstacle was to find an appropriate piece of land. He had to purchase it first, then apply for the permits for building it - including addressing a committee with a public hearing. At the hearing, he had to listen to numerous parties "testify" as to why they thought his application was unsuitable for the area - most were people that wouldn't be affected in the least bit by the range. All were incorrect as to their "facts", using the bull spread by anti-gun organizations. So after incurring huge expenses for research and purchasing the land w/o knowing for sure he would be allowed to use it the way he wanted, he was out of luck. Fortunately, he had a 2nd choice that is viable for the use of the land.

No one likes every aspect of every business they support, at least not if they knew everything about the business. The NRA does far more good, than bad. I find having to set a filter and throwing away some junk mail far less inconvenient than giving any ground on 2nd Amend issues.

The NRA isn't just for sportsmen and hunters, they were key in recently convincing the state of KS to recognize non-resident CCW permits. One of the first sections in every magazine is called the Armed Citizen, annotating stories of citizens using firearms for self defense. NRA Basic Handgun course is recognized as "approved" training for may CCW permits.
    If you have to remind someone to pay you for your services you're not doing a good enough job.
    oakchas likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    If you have to remind someone to pay you for your services you're not doing a good enough job.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That is the real answer, right there.

And part of the reason that the NRA isn't doing a "good enough job" is that they are wasting member's money with repeated mailing of pamphlets, brochures, phone calls, etc. to people who do not want them. In this case, to a person who has told them if they would quit doing that to him, he would rejoin.

They aren't paying attention to the individual... And I think that's pretty hard to do in an organization as large as the NRA...

I believe in the causes of the NRA, GOA, and all the other 2nd Amendment supporting groups nationally and locally. I contribute to them, but I do NOT join...

When I write my Congressman, Senator, State representative, Governor, Mayor, or POTUS... I make clear that I do NOT BELONG to any of those groups... That I am concerned enough to write them as a concerned citizen, without the affiliation to the mega PACS with the mega bucks that line their pockets...

After all, I am the man they work for: the citizen(though my tax money doesn't pay as well as his clientele's "tips" {the clientele being the super pacs that line his pockets}).

I don't use the mail forwarding services, I don't use the email bombs... I write a personal note or send an individual email or both. It's been a long time since I've written a hand written letter or card to these guys... but, I may go back to that once I'm retired. See, those get noticed.... as long as you're not threatening.... it's the right kind of notice. But if it's threatening, hand written letters will get you visited...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

You know what, if they didn't raise money from those mailings then they'd stop doing them.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Yeah, either that or they're a cheap skate and wants something for nothing.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

MJK

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    ...Ammo prices are an example. They are not going up becasue of Obama. They are going up becasue of supply and demand and folks are getting nervous about Obama getting reelected. There is still no direct prrof that he will do anything to undermine the 2 A.
    And who do you believe is influencing supply?

If you believe OB is not and wil not try to disrupt the firearm/ammunition supply chain then please do some research on the subject. Or if you are thinking of voting for him in November consider staying home and not voting as a protest.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    You know what, if they didn't raise money from those mailings then they'd stop doing them.
    Sure... and if you run a classified ad that says "send one dollar to:" somebody will send you a dollar... Statistics say about 1-2% of the people who read the ad...

But fear mongering in your advertisement may increase the percentage... "Send a dollar or turn in your guns" might get more responses... even if not wholly true.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    And who do you believe is influencing supply?

If you believe OB is not and wil not try to disrupt the firearm/ammunition supply chain then please do some research on the subject. Or if you are thinking of voting for him in November consider staying home and not voting as a protest.
    I have done research on it. How about you tell me how Obama is going to trash the 2A. I mean specifics. Not your gut, not the UN Small Arms Treaty. Something substantial.

As far as telling another citizen to not vote. That is about the dumbest thing I have heard so far. Where do you get off telling someone to not vote?

As far as not liking the NRA and blindly going along with them does not mean you are a liberal or someone that like the current administration.

Let's not get this political, or it will be locked.

Both sides use statistics that are questionable... both sides cite statements that are out of context... I try to get ALL the information I can... and make my own decisions... and If it's warranted, I will take the time to write an individual letter to the politician who represents MY interests in the matter....
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links