Dangers of a Fall

This is a discussion on Dangers of a Fall within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; More people die of accidental deaths each year from falls than from drowning, CO poisoning, fire & firearms combined; the older the individual, the greater ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pistology

Thread: Dangers of a Fall

Distinguished Member

Exclamation Dangers of a Fall

More people die of accidental deaths each year from falls than from drowning, CO poisoning, fire & firearms combined; the older the individual, the greater the risk.
    Learn to fall. Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, or other martial arts that use a mat in training are best. You may learn more than one life-saving skill. Recovery from attack and quicker access to counter the threat. Stay safe.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Excellent advice, although I'm afraid that there comes a point for older folks like myself where
    any unprotected fall not on a dojo mat is going to be pretty high risk.

So, in addition to learning how to fall, learn how to NOT fall. That means keeping up skills like
    agility, flexibility, balance. Wearing eyeglasses if you need them. Removing obstacles and throw rugs
    from your home. Installing shower bars so that they are actually held by the studs and not the wall board.

It means awareness and actually looking where you are going. My dad lost his life by fiddling with a cigar
    while he was walking, hence not paying attention to the fact that he was about to walk off the edge of a loading dock and fall
    onto the tarmac of a hospital parking lot; 100 feet from the ER door.
    Last edited by Hopyard; June 19th, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry for your loss. Was it a loading dock for helicopters? That would be a hard fall to break.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Oh great, now the government will try to ban hard floors...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

VIP Member
    Good reminder. Knowing how to push, tuck & roll has saved me more than once.

Hopy makes a good point as well. My 79 year-old dad is takes a blood-thinner (coumadin) for his heart. Now add old-age 'onion skin' to that, and he's a walking, bloody mess. Bumping a door jam is a serious injury for him. Now convincing this generation that made our nation great, that they can't do the things that they are used to doing is another story.

I've learned to carry band-aides in my wallet and patch him up on the fly.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    The key is to always keep your feet and knees together
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    The key is to always keep your feet and knees together
    We learn that at an early age.

...what great fun it was watching my son learn that.

VIP Member
    Surprisingly when I was going through rehab after my stroke that was one of the first things we were taught when were able to get back on our feet.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    I don't need to learn to fall, I do it quite well without training.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My instructors,(long ago) taught us on a mat,and tested us on a handball court hardwood floor. If you didn't learn to fall properly,you got hurt. Ah, the good ole days.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry for your loss. Was it a loading dock for helicopters? That would be a hard fall to break.
    No, he had just moved into an apartment building which was next to the hospital. He went for a walk to check out
    his new environment and just to look around while he smoked-- as mom didn't allow that in the apartment.

He opened a door marked exit, and stepped onto a concrete dock with no railing or painted marking on the
    edge. He kept walking while trying to light his cigar. Fell 3 feet or so and broke his hip.

This was 30 years back and he was in his mid 80s, but otherwise quite sturdy so it was an
    unpleasant surprise.

Mom always told him his cigars would kill him.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Took judo for 4 years, tried jujitsu for 1 (judo is more fun)

This is decent video of the roll I've done thousands of times until it became habit. We had to do it about 100 times at the beginning of every class and practiced on my own at home.

It's only worth learning if, like everything, you practice over and over.... and trust me, it's a lot more complicated than it might look.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Links