Fatality accident

This is a discussion on Fatality accident within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Had a local family OF 4 killed when they lost control of their SUV and it was hit by an 18 wheeler,not a lot of ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By Truckdriver
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By accessbob

Thread: Fatality accident

Fatality accident

Had a local family OF 4 killed when they lost control of their SUV and it was hit by an 18 wheeler,not a lot of info,but IMHO it sounds like wet conditions and possible hydroplaning.
    A LOT OF DRIVERS WILL DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH THEIR CRUISE CONTROL SET,IF YOUR VEHICLE HAPPENS TO HYDROPLANE "BREAK TRACTION" ESPECIALLY REAR WHEEL DRIVES BEFORE YOU CAN TAKE THE CRUISE CONTROL OFF YOUR VEHICLE YOU WILL VERY LIKELY LOSE CONTROL.AND COULD EITHER SPIN AND ROLLOVER,OR CROSS INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC.
    In South Tx they don't get much rain and almost never any ice or snow on the roads,so they don't have a clue about not only the cruise control,but the first thing they do is slam on the brakes.
    Hopefully somebody that doesn't know this will now be aware and during wet or icy conditions leave the cruise off.
    Spade115 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Unfortunately where I just relocated there is an overabundance of tractor trailers and out-of-towners that aren't familiar with the "lay of the land" and one of the highways I have to take regularly is rather unpredictable and crazy and as a result, I have also lost about all respect for semi drivers.

R.I.P. to the local family, thats a dang shame.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

In this case it looks like the families SUV crossed into the oncoming semi's lane of travel,head on collission
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Condolences to the family and friends of the lost.

Travel on a roadway isn't a game. It can get difficult or even downright dangerous when any one of a dozen factors change on you.

Learning to drive properly in hugely varied weather and traffic conditions has its benefits. I'm sure it stressed my folks while I was doing so much multi-condition driving, back in the day, but it sure taught me the appropriate deference to Mother Nature's proclivities and the luck of the draw. It also underscored the simple reality of speed limit statues: that ultimately one is limited by the maximum safe speed that exists for the conditions. Hard to know exactly what that is, particularly when the conditions get ugly.

Funny how small those four little patches of rubber are, which hold a car to the roadway. And those patches can get pretty dicey once stressed with cruddy road surface, heavy braking, steering or throttle, ice/sleet, rain, ugly weight imbalance in the car, an oncoming obstacle, an oncoming driver, a critter without its car-avoidance synapses working properly, temperature changes (in grip), or any combination of these factors.

500K+ miles, here, with only one unplanned off-road experience (striking a patch of ice in a blizzard while creeping along at 18mph in anticipation of having exactly such a problem). Thanks Ed (my driving instructor) for the defensive mindset. It's kept my panels unbent and my wheels on the road all these years.
    accessbob likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Tell me about it, I'll go anywhere on a Harley. I figure when it's my time to go, I'll be yesterday's news. Meanwhile, wherever I go, there I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Unfortunately where I just relocated there is an overabundance of tractor trailers and out-of-towners that aren't familiar with the "lay of the land" and one of the highways I have to take regularly is rather unpredictable and crazy and as a result, I have also lost about all respect for semi drivers.

R.I.P. to the local family, thats a dang shame.
    Don't be too quick to judge all truck drivers. I don't doubt that you've had bad experiences with some, but most of us are very professional and safety oriented. We have our hands full dealing with the general public cutting us off, racing to pass us just to slam on the brakes to take the exit that's right there, I could give endless examples of complete strangers risking their own lives as well as their family's just to get in front of me and knock a couple seconds off their travel time.
    grav and dukalmighty like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckdriver View Post
    Don't be too quick to judge all truck drivers. I don't doubt that you've had bad experiences with some, but most of us are very professional and safety oriented. We have our hands full dealing with the general public cutting us off, racing to pass us just to slam on the brakes to take the exit that's right there, I could give endless examples of complete strangers risking their own lives as well as their family's just to get in front of me and knock a couple seconds off their travel time.
    Former truck driver here also, with some of the antics I have seen four wheelers pull it amazes some have lived as long as they have, and my condolences to the family.
    mprp likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I'm sorry to hear that.

On my way home from physical therapy, about three blocks from home, I saw where a new-ish Grand Caravan hit the passenger rear quarter of a newer Suburban. The airbags had gone of in the Chevy, and the Dodge was missing all of the body paneling and some parts forward of the front doors. I don't think anyone died, but I'm sure everyone was at least hurt a bit.

I wish people knew how to drive...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Well from what I've seen, if Commercial Class A drivers drove like half of the four wheelers, there would be a lot more dead people. Seems like a lot of people think of other vehicles as obstacles rather than another person or family using the same road. An old buddy of mine that still drives truck told me once that his girlfriend at the time said that trucks should be able to stop faster than cars because their brakes are bigger.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

ive hydro'd on my lil bike and on an FXR, once in my jeep and in my pickup ive kept them on the strait just wiggled a bit while in my lane (not sure how I pulled it off) but in this area ive seen people go off the ramp sideways hydroplaining not as much fun as people think.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    hydroplaining not as much fun as people think.
    Except, perhaps, if you are in an actual hydroplane. The Miss Budweiser would be a fun one to try out.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Links