Fires in Colorado

This is a discussion on Fires in Colorado within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My nerves are a bit frayed, my faith in mankind is a bit frayed, and my patience is frayed. If I have appeared to be ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By wmhawth
  • 1 Post By Dadsnugun
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By marcclarke

Thread: Fires in Colorado

Thumbs down Fires in Colorado

My nerves are a bit frayed, my faith in mankind is a bit frayed, and my patience is frayed. If I have appeared to be short on understanding and long on attitude around here, my apologies.

The fire danger in Colorado is high. Very high. Extraordinarily high. We have major and minor fires all over the state, with thousands of responders putting their lives on the line every day in unbelievably dangerous and difficult conditions. So, pray tell, what is my problem?

I have been in a Fire Pre-Evacuation Notice area since Sunday. Yep, I refined my BO checklist too. Good practice. I am still in a lousy mood. Sleeping at night and smelling a forest fire makes it hard to sleep. I am just like a toddler. No sleep equals cranky baby. So....let us review some recent causes:

• Campfires inadequately extinguished by campers;
    • Campfires not extinguished by campers,
    • Cigarette smokers flipping cigarettes out of car windows,
    • Shooters shooting at propane bottles (the cause of the Springer fire), and, this one beats the band.........
    • Fires intentionally started by arsonist(s)!!!

Are we doomed as a society? I am cynical beyond belief right now. We have friends that lost almost everything in the Highpark Fire (started by a lightening strike), so I shouldn't pout. Sorry for venting.............

I conclude we are doomed, but for a few of us normal folks that hoard guns, ammo and food
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

2. Remove Ads

I really hope it stays as just an alert for ya man. I'm practically encircled by them. But none are close. I smell it 24/7. R&G be safe. My heart goes out to you and your family. Colorado folks stay safe.

..I heard one of the fires was a stranded hiker's signal fire gone bad? Was this just some dummy trying to excuse away his own idiocy?

.. I saw a scout troop leader boo-hooing that his upcoming camping trip couldn't do their camp fire training.... and hear a bunch of people crying about the fireworks bans... Get a grip people. Record house burnings, huge tracts of land burnt to the ground... Priorities.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Prayers and best wishes to all you guys. It looks horrendous on TV.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Hang in there R&G. Hopefully the monsoons will come early. Sure is hot. Sure is dry.
    Dadsnugun likes this.

Good luck, and prayers to you, your neighbors and everyone fighting these things. Cranky is acceptable, just get through 'em safe.
    joker1 likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Best of luck to you and everyone else suffering as a result of other's stupidity. Praying for rain!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Just venting helps I hope. Hang in there and be safe, you obviously have your act together. I agree on the 'human factor', I was reading recently that the Forest Service might finally be looking at changing their management policies so we don't get these catastrophic fires later. Of course it would take a while to get better even if the government wasn't involved.

Things look better now, the Springer fire appears tamped down well, and the LEO's have a suspect in the slammer for arson.

Sorry for the rant above.

Suspect released.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; June 22nd, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Senior Moderator
    Did you know that the use of lethal force is legal here in Arkansas to prevent the act of arson?

Meaning that you can shoot some sorry excuse of a human being if he is trying to torch something.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Since SIXTO isn't around can we blame these fires on Hotguns? His guns are hot right? Hot guns caused these fires! Let's get him!!!!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

The big fire west of Fort Collins, Colorado was started by lightning. No, society is not crashing. Look at the huge community efforts to aid the displaced.
    Last edited by marcclarke; June 23rd, 2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Added omitted comma after "No".
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Links