'CCW' Bugs Me!

This is a discussion on 'CCW' Bugs Me! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by sheepdog37 I'm confused, what exactly is the issue here? Are we now the grammar police? Grammar - the difference between knowing your ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: 'CCW' Bugs Me!

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog37 View Post
    I'm confused, what exactly is the issue here? Are we now the grammar police?
    Grammar - the difference between knowing your s#!t and knowing you're s#!t.
    AZJD1968, Xader, Hoganbeg and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Shouldn't be using the internet if lack of proper grammar annoys you. Will be nothing but a headache every time you log on :s
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Shouldn't be using the internet if lack of proper grammar annoys you. Will be nothing but a headache every time you log on :s
    totally.

we all have little things that bug us but getting worked up over something like that would be a full time endeavor. the pad of my thumb covers 8 letters on the keyboard at once on my iPhone. I screw up all the time.

I'm a newbie to guns, but the CCW thing makes me laugh - around here it is CPL.

Speaking of grammatical pet peeves: How about someone trying to say they don't care by saying "I could care less"? I think you mean you COULDN'T care less.
    Last edited by PTAaron; June 23rd, 2012 at 11:03 AM.

For months I haven't been able to figure out what "CCW" exactly stood for!! I mean, I knew what people were talking about online, but couldn't figure out the "W" I've heard concealed weapeon permit, license, etc. So I'm glad that the term bugging you finally cleared it up for me!!!!

(I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed sometimes....)

Quote Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

Speaking of grammatical pet peeves: How about someone trying to say they don't care by saying "I could care less"? I think you mean you COULDN'T care less.
    Awesome! There is somebody that has also noticed that agrees with me. I think the issue with most of these things is that people don't actually think about what they are saying because most people they converse with know what they mean. I'll continue to be annoyed by that which annoys me even if I normally let it slide and don't say anything about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    For months I haven't been able to figure out what "CCW" exactly stood for!! I mean, I knew what people were talking about online, but couldn't figure out the "W" I've heard concealed weapeon permit, license, etc. So I'm glad that the term bugging you finally cleared it up for me!!!!

(I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed sometimes....)
    to be clear though, people refer to their licenses differently because the issuing states call them different things. it would be incorrect of me to talk about my Kentucky concealed weapon permit because no such permit exists. KY issues a Concealed Deadly Weapons License. other states issue concealed handgun permits/license, concealed weapon permits, concealed carry permits etc. and they often have pretty big differences associated with them depending on the specific state's weapons laws.
    shockwave likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    CCW is a noun. Concealed Carry Weapon. Mine is a Glock 23.
    Not a verb. It is not something that I do.

CHL is also a noun, it is my Concealed Handgun License. Also not something that I do.

CC and OC are adverbs. They describe how I carry my Glock 23. They are something that I do.

Not useing them correctly does bother me a little also......but I do understand.
    Last edited by AZJD1968; June 23rd, 2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar corrections :-)
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

But, how am I supposed to refer to my Counter Clockwise rotating revolver? Compared to my Clockwise rotating one?

My Constant Carrier Wave, on the other hand, is always open carried?
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

so your CCW weapon is a G23? sorry, couldn't resist.

I bought a stackon cabinet to store ammunition a while ago and the FedEx truck that delivered it said FedEx Express on the side. funny
    bigmacque likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    My Constant Carrier Wave, on the other hand, is always open carried?
    Now that throws a monkey wrench into the thought process.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Grammar - the difference between knowing your s#!t and knowing you're s#!t.
    Now that just made my day.

I may shamelessly swipe that one for future use!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Not an acronym but I hate when people say irregardless instead of regardless.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Yes - yz9890 has a good observation above.

people refer to their licenses differently because the issuing states call them different things
    That's important. Also, when interest groups (like gun owners) form societies, it is normal and natural for them to use in-group jargon. These will be words and expressions that signify membership in the group, and they will likely be unintelligible or misunderstood by outsiders. Also, these terms being nonce-coinages, there will be dispute and variation in their use among said insiders.

So. What do we make of "CCW"? The consensus is that it's a noun, meaning the "weapon you conceal on your person." The verb would be "CC." Still, as a special-interest board, if the members here decide in the aggregate that "CCW" means "the act of carrying a weapon," then that's what it would mean. These things are useful because having to type out "concealed carry weapon" all the time would be tedious.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Here in Florida it is called a CWFL, Concealed Weapons Firearms License.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links