Any Navy folks here?

This is a discussion on Any Navy folks here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Plain and simple my Army recruiter has been lazy and has failed at being committed to get me into something I like. Although I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Navy folks here?

Any Navy folks here?

Plain and simple my Army recruiter has been lazy and has failed at being committed to get me into something I like. Although I was qualified for the jobs I wanted he would not stop pushing other jobs .

I called up the Navy and so far really really like what i've heard. The guys were not one bit push about the jobs I was interested in plus they gave me a much broader and honest sales pitch if you want to call it that. After looking around online I do not see how I did not call them first (maybe its the reputation of navy folks and all the rumors you hear)

So I'm just curious how people here who have or are serving like/liked it.

My Navy recruiter told me that every sailor is different and he's does not want me enlisting because someone else enjoy it. He told me something along the lines of " It's a different journey for every single person". I appreciated the honesty.

I'm still curious how the quality of your life was overall. But I am pretty sure my decision is made (once they verify my diploma is good to enlist with em).

2. Remove Ads

The Recruiters...

are a very honest bunch...
    I have a great car I would like to sell you...
    You should meet my sister; she's got a great personality...
    Would you consider loaning me $200; I will pay you back next Tuesday...

The sooner you realize that they are NOT serving your best interest, the wiser you will be...

Stay safe...and think twice...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

To keep it short my 11 years were Hard Work, harder play, lots of travel, invaluable learning experience and wouldn't trade it for anything. I've been out 20+ years though so someone that served more recent could give you a better picure of todays Navy.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    are a very honest bunch...
    I have a great car I would like to sell you...
    You should meet my sister; she's got a great personality...
    Would you consider loaning me $200; I will pay you back next Tuesday...

The sooner you realize that they are NOT serving your best interest, the wiser you will be...

Stay safe...and think twice...

ret
    Yes I know recruiters are like a used car salesman.

I take what they say with a grain of salt and always double check what they say to make sure they are bull crapping me. Thanks for the warning though but ill do ok. I think more then twice before I make decisions. Hahaha. I can understand your concerns though. Especially since the Navy is just as lax as the army for enlistment at the moment it appears.

They respected what I wanted to do and they guarantee jobs on your contracts now. Will just see what happens since they need to verify my high school diploma is good for em since I was home schooled (said more likely is). Just researching in advance before I move onto the next step.

I served in the Navy from 78-82, my son from 98-02. I enjoyed it, but my son not as much. Like the squid said; you work hard and you play harder. As for myself I got the job I wanted, my son kinda got screwed he wanted to be a firefighter and they put him in fuels saying they are firefighters too, but everyone on a ship is a firefighter first, their job second, and he didn't like his job at all, because he wanted to be a firefighter for his job. Don't let them pressure you into taking a job you don't want, at the last minute. If the job is not for you, then walk out , there will be other opportunities, or they will let you do the job you want. You have 5 different services "work it".
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forscythe87 View Post
    They respected what I wanted to do and they guarantee jobs on your contracts now.
    I didn't serve in the Navy, and it has been a few decades, but I'd bet their paperwork is pretty much the same as it used to be in the USMC. Check the fine print and you'll probably see a statement similar to "and/or as deemed best for the service". Which means that, even if they guarantee a job, they can assign you to a different job. I'd go so far as to bet that clause is in all the services' contracts.

And they were guaranteeing jobs back then too. I went to school for my guaranteed job but never did work in that MOS.

But, what the hey, if you stay in a while, you just might get to enjoy a few different jobs & learn that much more.

My father & brother-in-law were/are in the Navy. According to their stories, Saltysquid said it well: "Hard Work, harder play, lots of travel, invaluable learning experience and wouldn't trade it for anything".

Unless you're a screw-up, (don't see any reason to believe you might be), don't take anything in boot camp personal. The DI's are just doing their job in the most efficient manner possible.

Enjoy the ports you call on & stay safe.

Thanks for the heads up cliff. Didn't stop to think about the fine print but I will check it out. From what ive read on the Military.com forums though I should be safe.

I guess if worst came to worst there no choice really. As long as i'm serving im happy.

I'll always cherish my navy years. I was stationed in Pensacola (this was long before it becoming a school command), USS J.F.K., Sigonella, Sicily, and China Lake, California .
    If I could do it again I would....better yet...today...you better be more specialized and not stuck in a rut. I would high tail it over to the Coast Guard recruiters. Scream...cry on the phone to get them to come get you. The coasties are run by the Department of Transportation (in war time its run by the Department of Defense).
    They may be a smaller group but you will be given a chance to stand on your own two legs quickly , to prove your abilitiy to take charge and work closely with others, especially when it comes to law enforcement and such. Good luck on your choice...

I was in the Navy for 11.5 years, and I was also one of those "Recruiters". I am now in the Air Force (Long story, but it had nothing to do with the Navy). I'd be happy to give you the scoop on either service and about recruiters and the recruiting process. Let me know what I can do to help.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    In my twilight years the Navy wanted me to do a tour as a recruiter.

I went to recruiter school for two weeks before I quit.(walked out)

Let me just say that what they promise you, ask for it in writing. Compare the branches of service for the jobs that you are interested in. Don't let any recruiter tell you that you will not go overseas and/or to a combat zone.

Talk to military people to get their "take" on the branch that they are in.

Above all......if the recruiter tells you something that seems to good to be true >>>it probably is. ---------
    Last edited by RSSZ; September 15th, 2006 at 07:45 AM.

I served twenty years in the Navy.

Anything anybody tells you doesn't count or isn't binding unless it's in WRITING!

The Navy was good to me; however, remember to get everything in writing.
    Mark
    SC CWP Instructor
    NC CCH Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

Senior Moderator
    The coasties are run by the Department of Transportation (in war time its run by the Department of Defense).
    Not anymore.

Now its Dept. of Homeland Security.

compliments of the "Patriot Act".
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I am in the Navy, have been since I was 18.
    I have enjoyed my "Adventure" everyday.
    I suppose it depends on what kind of job you want, as to which branch is best.
    If you want to be a cop, I'd go with the Air Force.
    If you want to be a helo pilot, probably the Marines.
    If you want special forces, definately the Navy.
    I am an aviation rescue swimmer and helo crewchief, and I'm lovin every minute of it.
    The Coast Guard has a great rescue swimmer program too, possibly better than the Navy.
    Anyhow, choose what you want to do first and that should guide you.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

I was in the NAVY from 1973-1977 and loved most of it. I started as a dumb ***** 19 yr old and got out as the LPO on the ships missle system. I've been to Africa, Asia, Mid-east and Europe.
    There were times I wanted to be any place but there and other times I couldn't think of anyplace better to be.

It IS something differant to each and I would do it over again.
    Be Safe and Careful,
    Corbett

Mountaineers Are Always Free

As I said earlier I had a good time in the Navy, then I switched to the Air Force. All the time I was jumping threw their hoops, they said I'd keep my current rank, until it came to signing the paperwork, I noticed my rank was one lower, they said there wasn't any openings at my current rank. What a line of BS, I should have walked then, but didn't and it took me forever to make it back, because the AF is real slow in making rank. If I had to do it over I would have stayed in the Navy.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links