Hurricane Debby

This is a discussion on Hurricane Debby within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just curious how some of our members are fairing with the storm. I remember not long ago BugDude moved to Pasco County. On the news ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By NC Bullseye

Thread: Hurricane Debby

VIP Member

Hurricane Debby

Just curious how some of our members are fairing with the storm. I remember not long ago BugDude moved to Pasco County. On the news tonight they were showing extensive flooding in that area.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

We got between 4 and 6 inches of rain in Tampa today, although I'm in NC right now. Our streets were flooded out. Bayshore and Memorial Hwy closed. No biggie, used to it. I wish this thing would turn right already. Every time tropical storms pass through here in western NC, I get mud slides, trees through the roof, and more damage than I ever got in FL. I'm going to be spending my day tomorrow clearing limbs, gutters, etc for a deluge. I have one big widow-maker limb about 100 feet up in a pine tree that concerns me. If I can get a line over it, I may tie it out the other way from the house. I'm not climbing. Isn't there a 12 ga load that shoots a monkeyfist and line?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    We got between 4 and 6 inches of rain in Tampa today, although I'm in NC right now. Our streets were flooded out. Bayshore and Memorial Hwy closed. No biggie, used to it. I wish this thing would turn right already. Every time tropical storms pass through here in western NC, I get mud slides, trees through the roof, and more damage than I ever got in FL. I'm going to be spending my day tomorrow clearing limbs, gutters, etc for a deluge. I have one big widow-maker limb about 100 feet up in a pine tree that concerns me. If I can get a line over it, I may tie it out the other way from the house. I'm not climbing. Isn't there a 12 ga load that shoots a monkeyfist and line?
    Tried Googleing breeches buoy but did not find anything useful a fishing bow could be shot over the offending limb and then used to pull a stronger line over to secure it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Slingshot, 1/4" nut and kite string to pull heaver line over like 550 cord. Go bigger as needed. That worked when I lived down in hurricane alley. Also can be deployed without bringing the neighborhood to defcon 1.
    msgt/ret and Rock and Glock like this.

I was thinking about those in Tampa/St Pete with all the flooding! It finally stopped raining here (for now) we have a lot of flooding in the middle to the back of the property but away from the house. My van is stuck in the mud and likely will be for days - it's way to soggy to even consider trying to get it out. I'm just thrilled it was husband driving this time!!

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Slingshot, 1/4" nut and kite string to pull heaver line over like 550 cord. Go bigger as needed. That worked when I lived down in hurricane alley. Also can be deployed without bringing the neighborhood to defcon 1.
    What neighborhood? Why do you think I'm here! LOL

What neighborhood? Why do you think I'm here! LOL
    You and me BOTH! At least here things like hurricanes tend to be less of an issue on the west side.

I'm a born and mostly raised Floridian but I can't think of a thing I left behind that warrants a return.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    You and me BOTH! At least here things like hurricanes tend to be less of an issue on the west side.

I'm a born and mostly raised Floridian but I can't think of a thing I left behind that warrants a return.
    I will have to go back to work sometime. If I could find any decent employment here in the mountains, I'd be here (although my wife is a native, and they don't leave usually). I'm in Swain Co/Bryson City (pop 800).

Foothills? The piedmont triangle? I just got back here yesterday from 5 days on the Neuse River from Wake Forest down to Kinston. It was OK, a little tough, a lot of river obstructions.

Ya'll be safe.

I will have to go back to work sometime. If I could find any decent employment here in the mountains, I'd be here (although my wife is a native, and they don't leave usually). I'm in Swain Co/Bryson City (pop 800).

Foothills? The piedmont triangle? I just got back here yesterday from 5 days on the Neuse River from Wake Forest down to Kinston. It was OK, a little tough, a lot of river obstructions.
    I'm over here by the Hickory / Lenoir area. Just high enough to be cool but low enough to not get snowed in too often. Keep the faith, those true Florida crackers eventually figure out that when you have roaches that can carry off pets it's time to look for higher ground. I know it took me 40+ years to figure it out.

The day when hurricanes get named Hope and Prudence is when I'll really start to get worried.

Stay safe, all.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My wife tells me rain has been the only 'event' from Ms. Debby so far........ but any more and the white pearch and bluegills will start eating up her flower beds.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quite soggy here in Riverview. The tornadoes have caused at least one death in Polk County.
    We're fairing well, thankfull not to see any lightning.

dan

Links