Illegal seizure of a helmet cam? Police brutality? For you bikers out there,....

This is a discussion on Illegal seizure of a helmet cam? Police brutality? For you bikers out there,.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The LEO screwed up asking for the camera as evidence. Was the stop Ok ? Hard to say, as it was impossible to tell witch ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Illegal seizure of a helmet cam? Police brutality? For you bikers out there,....

The LEO screwed up asking for the camera as evidence. Was the stop Ok ? Hard to say, as it was impossible to tell witch bike was his from the cam, and he may have done something that nailed him for we didn't see.

Sent from my 300 baud modem

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'll bet you a coke he gets smacked.
    You're on! : )
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Three observations:
    1) If you get pulled over, just shut up and give him your license
    2) If you get arrested, remind yourself to adhere to number one, you're not going to say anything that will reverse the course of direction.
    3) I dunno why you guys keep wanting to discuss police abuse and misuse of power here when you know it gets the powers that be here in a twist. PM me and I'll refer you to a gun blog where you can speak your mind freely on any topic.
    When you know authority is wrong there is nothing wrong with questioning it and one should. All he asked was why did you stop me. The officers admits to him that he intends to violate his righst by seizing his helmet cam. So I say there is a time to be silent and a time not to. This time was to not be silent.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

The one that kept cutting him off is lucky. My sweaty feet coulda slipped off the brake.
    atctimmy, l1a1 and thephanatik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    When you know authority is wrong there is nothing wrong with questioning it and one should. All he asked was why did you stop me. The officers admits to him that he intends to violate his righst by seizing his helmet cam. So I say there is a time to be silent and a time not to. This time was to not be silent.
    I agree. Just because your a cop does not mean you can take my property wihtout proper legal process. If someone is doing something wrong should I shutup and take just because the person is a cop and has a position of authority. I have the right to remain silent and I also have the right to question the cop on why he is doing what he's doing.

OK I watched the Video again but this time with Audio.

WOW what a Blatant Abuse of Authority by what I couldn't even call a LEO. He was unprofessional unethical & IMO Criminal in his actions. He deserves to loose his Badge & immunity from prosecution for Abuse of power as well as Assault. Had no legitimate reason to pull the bike over & made illegal demands. When the biker didn't just bow down he trumped up a bogus charge to arrest him most likely to obtain the camera or simply to punish him for not complying with his demands.

As for the biker he said he wasn't even with them & none of the bikers that passed him really acted like he was. His attitude was justified IMO since the cop was 100% wrong & disrespectful as well. I'm so tired of the you must be respectful towards us but we can do anything we want to & it is OK.

The video speaks for itself & nothing proves he did anything wrong to be pulled over. Also looks like the tag was visible what a crock.

WOW my blood is boiling & I wish I could be on a Jury against this particular LEO which nothing will happen to that equals his actions.

Disclaimer: Seriously my comments are only meant towards this LEO in this Video.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Before anyone comments they should watch the video from the Police cruiser.

These bikers are a bunch of hooligan law breakers. The hi-way was apparently closed the year prior due to the rampage they caused. They show a complete disrespect for the law and give other bikers a bad name. I do wonder why this guy was singled out to get pulled over. Guilty by association? Maybe. Perhaps there's more to the other side of the story.

If you hang with criminals don't be surprised if you get treated like one.
    I watched the video from the cruiser and can you tell me where (time stamp) in the video it shows the biker with the helmet cam that was arrested showed up. You seem to find the biker in the original video guilty because he was a biker. It is clear the officer that pulled the helmet cam biker over only wanted the helmet cam in hopes of finding something to nail someone with.

In the original video it does not appear the bikers are doing anything wrong or speeding. Also noted that 2 squads pass the helmet cam biker and then 2:40 into the video the 3rd squads lights up and pulls over. The 2 squads that passed him were not in pursuit of anyone since no bikers were doing anything wrong. Most likely the 3rd officer saw that helmet cam and wanted it and decided he was damn well going to get it legally or not.

He did get the "fruit"(helmet cam) from the poisoned tree. Hope it does not go down too bitter for him.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    As for the biker he said he wasn't even with them & none of the bikers that passed him really acted like he was.
    I concur. It appeared to me that he wasn't with the group. We'll soon find out I hope. Hotguns is going to owe me a fizzy beverage.

ETA: I will add that I almost never win a bet. My betting a coke on this probably means that this kid commited a triple murder, mugged an old lady, burned a flag, clicked the like button on a Barry Obama FB post and clubbed a baby fur seal in the five minutes of video leading up to what we just watched.

My bet just signed this kids death warrant.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Administrator
    First I'll say its pretty wild to cuff and take to jail because of a obstructed license plate, but who knows, it might be a high enough tier in Texas to do so. The news article says they were out in effort to curb reckless riding for the weekend, so I'm going to assume the politicians made it a "zero tolerance" (I hate that) deal, which is dangerous slippery slope. Maybe Moore was from out of state? Some places require posting bond for out of state drivers on traffic violations, which cannot be done in the field.

Other than that, one punk brought out the punk of another. Happens everyday in all different venues and contexts.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Those riders all around Moore were riding like jerks - taking up all three lanes, buzzing in and out of lanes, cutting in front of each other, passing on the shoulder, failing to signal, riding 3 wide in a lane (but that wasn't Moore's fault), and there's probably more. While his plate was partially obstructed as it was tilted at a 30 deg angle, the officer did state upfront that his reason for stopping was to seize personal property with no warrant. The dashcam footage was from an incident in which that officer was not involved so it's not necessarily the same group and there were probably many groups out that day. The officer that pulled over the truck is to be commended for keeping his cool with that one jerk that kept obstructing him, I hope he got his plate number and visited him later. Would've been great to see him get sprayed down when he stopped next to the truck.
    Last edited by nedrgr21; June 27th, 2012 at 03:47 AM.
    mcgyver210 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    All I can say is that I would not ride with those guys.

If I was in that position, my phone call would be to my dad to see which of his lawyer friends wants to make some money off of the police.
    mcgyver210 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    In the original post is states that the dash cam video was not from the arresting officer, internal affairs said there was no video from the arresting officer. How convienent!
    mcgyver210 likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I showed this to a LEO that was at my shop this morn to coordinate traffic control for a watermain repair.He told us this dept has instructions to "accidental like break a camera,or 'lose' a memory chip or film."
    Is this practice the norm? Just asking.
    mcgyver210 likes this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

VIP Member
    At 4:56 in the OPs original video, there is a shadow cast by the arrested biker. It clearly shows the outline of his helmet and helmet cam. This thing sticks up a few inches. I did not see that rider in the dash cam vid posted here.

I agree the guys in the dash cam vid were idiots and they are what give riders a bad name. The one that kept cutting off the cop is lucky to be alive. If the cop had blinked, the guy would have gotten hit and I doubt anyone would have blamed the cop - including a jury. You cut someone off and slam on your brakes, you assume the risk you might get hit and on a bike, quite possibly killed.

There was plenty in the dash cam vid to make arrests on, but I did not see the helmet cam rider in that vid. To me, it looks like he got the shaft and will likely win his suit.

HG - up for another coke?
    atctimmy and mcgyver210 like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links