Illegal seizure of a helmet cam? Police brutality? For you bikers out there,....

Illegal seizure of a helmet cam? Police brutality? For you bikers out there,....

This is a discussion on Illegal seizure of a helmet cam? Police brutality? For you bikers out there,.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; While not gun-related, definitely interesting and I'd like to hear folks on the board weigh in. It appears there was a "bike cruise" and this ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Illegal seizure of a helmet cam? Police brutality? For you bikers out there,....

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar

While not gun-related, definitely interesting and I'd like to hear folks on the board weigh in. It appears there was a "bike cruise" and this guy got singled out by a LEO because he had a visible helmet cam. When he first gets pulled, the LEO never mentions an actual traffic offense after being asked multiple times. It isn't until AFTER he gets back out of his cruiser he brings up the license plate issue (which you can see if you look closely in the video, doesn't look obstructed to me.)You can also see him slam the biker down on his cruiser, and violently push the biker into the back of his car without even asking him to get in first, its not like he was resisting.

Thoughts? Comments?

If the LEO did not see him commit an offense, and he didn't have a warrant come up under his plate he should haven't been pulled in the first place IMHO.

Here is the unedited version of the video from his helmet cam,...

DALLAS - The Dallas Sheriff’s Office has launched an internal affairs investigation into the conduct of a deputy who made a questionable arrest of a sport biker, following reports from News 8.

The arrest happened on Memorial Day weekend, as law enforcement was on heightened alert to crack down on reckless bikers.

But was that reason enough for Deputy James Westbrook to pull over biker Chris Moore in an effort to seize a camera mounted on his helmet?

Not according to Toby Shook, a former Dallas County Prosecutor.

"Well, I think in this particular case, you did need a warrant to get that piece of evidence,” Shook said.

And now, with an internal affairs investigation underway, Westbrook will have to explain his actions.

In response to this case, the sheriff’s office also released a dash cam video showing how stunt bikers taunted and antagonized officers by slamming on their brakes and blocking the squad car’s path.

Then, when a truck traveling with the pack of bikes gets pulled over by officers, a female passenger is seen handing something off to a rider. Moments later, that same woman hops on the back of a different bike and rides away, all while other bikers drive the wrong way on Stemmons Freeway.

How frustrating is that? Not enough to violate the constitution, Shook said.

"The Constitution wins out over frustration every time,” he said.

Though none of that happened to Deputy Westbrook, Shook said the deputy likely felt that afternoon's frustration when he pulled over Moore in order to seize Moore's helmet camera.

Here’s what Westbrook says as Moore helmet camera is rolling:

MOORE: "Was I doing something wrong? What am I being pulled over for?"

WESTBROOK: "The whole group of you guys."

MOORE: "No. I was not, individually. How can you pull me over?"

WESTBROOK: "The reason you're being pulled over is because I'm going to take your camera, and we're going to use it as evidence of in the crimes that have been committed by other bikers."

Westbrook later arrested Moore for a concealed license plate, a charge Moore alleges was trumped up to get his camera.
    From,...

Sheriff launches internal affairs investigation in response to biker arrest | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

I originally got the story from:

Frustrated Sheriff Arrests Motorcyclist For Wearing A Helmet Camera

News 8 asked to see Westbrook's dash cam video. We were told no video exists and therefore cannot be used in the internal affairs investigation that is now open.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Senior Moderator
    One observation....

that was the stupidest place for a bike to pull over I have ever seen.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    A serious question: To any of you LEOs out there, this officer took a biker to jail for license plate obstruction. Is that even remotely legal?

I understand that the officer was frustrated but what can happen to him now that he arrested this biker, verbally stating that the only reasoning was an obstructed license plate?
    mcgyver210 and beararms like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

In my opinion the guy should not be a cop any longer. If you can't learn to control yourself and are taking your frustrations out on citizens for no reason then your in the wrong profession.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I may or may not have arrested him. I damn sure would have put a piece of duct tape over his mouth.

You also have to factor in what transpired 15 minutes before hand.

VIP Member
    Going by what was shown on the video the deputy had no reason to pull the biker over and deserves a reprimand.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Ghettokracker71 likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    You also have to factor in what transpired 15 minutes before hand.
    Which was what?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    there is gonna be a law suite to follow
    mcgyver210 likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Three observations:
    1) If you get pulled over, just shut up and give him your license
    2) If you get arrested, remind yourself to adhere to number one, you're not going to say anything that will reverse the course of direction.
    3) I dunno why you guys keep wanting to discuss police abuse and misuse of power here when you know it gets the powers that be here in a twist. PM me and I'll refer you to a gun blog where you can speak your mind freely on any topic.

Before anyone comments they should watch the video from the Police cruiser.

These bikers are a bunch of hooligan law breakers. The hi-way was apparently closed the year prior due to the rampage they caused. They show a complete disrespect for the law and give other bikers a bad name. I do wonder why this guy was singled out to get pulled over. Guilty by association? Maybe. Perhaps there's more to the other side of the story.

If you hang with criminals don't be surprised if you get treated like one.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Before anyone comments they should watch the video from the Police cruiser.

These bikers are a bunch of hooligan law breakers. The hi-way was apparently closed the year prior due to the rampage they caused. They show a complete disrespect for the law and give other bikers a bad name. I do wonder why this guy was singled out to get pulled over. Guilty by association? Maybe. Perhaps there's more to the other side of the story.

If you hang with criminals don't be surprised if you get treated like one.
    Groups of cars fly past my on the highway speeding every day. Thank God I've never gotten pulled over for being associated by vehicle type with them.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Guilty by association wont stand up in a court of law.

It may have worked if all of the other bikers were arrested and found guilty of something, but arresting him for being a biker aint gonna cut it.
    mcgyver210 likes this.

The rider asked why he was pulled over, what did he do wrong. The first thing the officer said was, "The reason you were pulled over is I'm going to take your camera and it's going to be used as evidence of the crimes that have been committed."

Now, the rider was outraged at this and did not exercise very good self-control. HOWEVER, the officer was in the wrong for pulling him over for the reason stated. He knew this and had to go fishing for a better excuse. And the officer, due to his position of authority, is expected to act to a higher standard. Instead he gets visibly angry and abusive. IMO, the officer should be disciplined for this. I don't know what is appropriate discipline, but somewhere between a reprimand and dismissal from his job. The rider should get all charges dismissed, his property back and all legal fees reimbursed by the City for this illicit arrest. An LEO cannot be permitted to act this way. It is an injustice to the public and a disgrace to the police dept. and the city.

The motorcyclist has a lesson to learn as well: if you hang out with hoodlums and act disrespectfully to an LEO, it might ruin your day. He could have possibly avoided some of this trouble by being polite and respectful.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I'm a motorcycle rider, but other than two wheels and a helmet, there was very little similarity between what I do and what these hooligans were up to.
    beararms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    A serious question: To any of you LEOs out there, this officer took a biker to jail for license plate obstruction. Is that even remotely legal?

I understand that the officer was frustrated but what can happen to him now that he arrested this biker, verbally stating that the only reasoning was an obstructed license plate?
    No matter what he was taken to jail for "Contempt of Cop" because he didn't bow to this particular Cops demand. He was also assaulted IMO all for a plate obstruction.
    Last edited by mcgyver210; June 27th, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links