Wildfire Photos: Colorado Springs

This is a discussion on Wildfire Photos: Colorado Springs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Waldo Canyon Fire took a severe turn this afternoon when strong winds from the west made the fire explode. I am about 25 miles ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildfire Photos: Colorado Springs

Wildfire Photos: Colorado Springs

The Waldo Canyon Fire took a severe turn this afternoon when strong winds from the west made the fire explode. I am about 25 miles west of this, but my heart goes out to the effected folks. May the responders and residents stay safe.

The fire broke into residential areas late this afternoon too, and Colorado Springs now has structure fires too.

Apparently the Flying W Ranch has been destroyed. Evacuations now total over 32,000.

Woodland Park is also threatened to the west, as well as Chipta Park, Green Mountain Falls and Cascade.

That is the AFA Stadium at bottom, left of center:

Looking to the west from Dillards in CO Spgs:

Here's another:

From NE of Centennial and Garden of the Gods Road: The fire moves into residential areas:

Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Good luck. I fear that they will only get worse. Not only there, but everywhere.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    "The Springs" is one of my favorite cities. Love to visit there. Really like the zoo. Hope that beautiful place can survive this inferno. Our prayers are with you.

Any chance of rain? Prayers are with you all.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Knock on wood - we had no fires in my area today. Everyone's nerves are shot.

Thank's ya'll. We're OK - it's all the folks in CO Spgs and the other fires that need us.

Waldo Canon Fire

[QUOTE=Rock and Glock;2300059]The Waldo Canyon Fire took a severe turn this afternoon when strong winds from the west made the fire explode. I am about 25 miles west of this, but my heart goes out to the effected folks. May the responders and residents stay safe.

Amen to that. I am about 9 miles east and a bit north on the other side of I25 (only about 7700 feet here) - USAFA Doug and Pine Valley are mandatory evac as of about 5 minutes ago, friends and kids are packing up and leaving as we speak, and Rockrimmon, Woodman Valley, Pinon Valley, Pinon Cliff, and surrounding areas. One evacuee is here already, safely installed. The tv here is non-stop reporting on all local channels - Mountain Shadows has lost about 30 homes, Flying W is indeed gone, with the homes around it. Periodically there is a huge flare, which we are supposing is the propane tanks on BBQ grills. They are hoping to "maintain" 5% containment, but it has run up the ridge to Pinon Canyon and has broken south again. Scary stuff. There are some web cams on Pikes Peak maintained by Colorado Springs government - ordinarily you couldn't see much but the fire shows even better in the dark. Click here to look at those.

There is a fresh fire closing in on Boulder, as well, according to the news, but the one I can see from my horse pasture is enough for me. Just being outside long enough to feed and care for the horses tonight gave me a sore throat from the smoke and ash moving this way. I can't keep the horses in, the barn is wayyyyyy too hot! They seem to be scooting out to the ravine in the pasture, below the worst of it, so I am trusting them to take care of themselves tonight.

Your pictures are spectacular - may I share them with friends?

Thanks much - if I knew a Rain Dance I would sure be doing it!

Those pictures look like hell on earth Rock and Glock. I haven't talked to my son in Castle Rock but I'm sure he's breathing smoke there. Your position at 25 miles west of the Waldo Canyon fire must put you somewhere around Cripple Creek by my calculations. I'll do some praying for rain for you amigo. Here's hoping you're going to stay well out of harm's way.

Thanks all. Share the pics all you want - all public domain.

Boulder has a fire too, and Highpark still going.

Stay safe ya'll, and keep the evac checklists handy.

Rain dances are welcome - just remember, timing is critical.

I've got two good buddies going to school at the Air Force Academy (where your first photo was taken), they just issued an evac for some of the housing units, and I guess everyone is pretty on-edge. I'll be praying for all of you.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Devastating nightmare of a scenario. My thoughts are with all of the folks that are living through that.
    DefensiveCarry really brings some of this stuff home to me here in PA.
    Before "DC" this would have just been "a fire" in some part of the U.S. to me. I didn't really know anyone in Colorado.
    But, now a great fellow Moderator and other highly likable forum members are almost smack right in it and so I have been following it with a keen concern.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Dang, Mother Nature sure does have a nasty habit of destroying the old to bring in the new. <--------

Rain dances, prayers, whatever it takes to get the rain we need - we could surely use some precipitation here too, but don't dance too long or pray too hard. A front that could put out these fires could easily form a super cell complex that could drop a mile wide F5 tornado through our small town and wipe it off the map!

There is nothing like natural disaster to bring folks together!

I'm sure it won't be too long and we'll start getting the fires up here in the north part of Calif. Usually the end of Aug. and the lightning storms begin here. Sorry Rock and Glock, it doesn't look like we're sending any rain your way as of yet.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Been there--[2006 Derby fire, Stillwater county Montana, 200,000 acres]--done that--[evacuated from 3 different locations]--got the T shirt--DIDN"T LIKE IT Praying for you guys and gals.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

We got .06" rain today - beats a stick in the eye.

Administrator
    Wow, scary stuff
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links