Traffic Stop: "License and Registration Please."

This is a discussion on Traffic Stop: "License and Registration Please." within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here's something I find curious that I'd love to have clarified: I've seen posts either here or on other forums where allegedly the driver is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Traffic Stop: "License and Registration Please."

Traffic Stop: "License and Registration Please."

Here's something I find curious that I'd love to have clarified: I've seen posts either here or on other forums where allegedly the driver is asked by the LEO to produce a driver's license and registration. You also see it a lot in movies and TV shows (as if that's a reflection of reality.) I've been driving for 36 years and have been stopped by the police in IL, WI, MN, ND and KS and never once had to show my "registration". I don't even know what that is. Is it like a title? Nobody carries their title around, it's as valuable as the car. Driver's license, of course. Proof of insurance, yes. Registration, never. So, my question is: Where does this come from? Are there some states that require you to carry a copy of your registration (whatever that is)? Is this a holdover from some bygone era? Or is it simply a common misconception?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Is this a holdover from some bygone era?
    There it is mainly. Anymore, I run the plate on your car and I see the electronic version of the registration. As long as everything matches up, the paper one is useless to me. I never ask for the registration, unless there is some BMV error or some other problem and I'm looking for more information. Some, if not most, states require the registration to be kept with the car. A lot of states its a sticker that must be displayed. You get that when you purchase your plates.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Here a registration verifies the license plate displayed on your vehicle. You get a new one each time you purchase your yearly license plate or decals. I have to produce it every time I get stopped, which isn't very often thankfully.
    Guest1 likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member
    The registration is the piece of paper you get with your plates showing they are valid and belong to the car. Some states have a sticker you put on the window.

Here is an example of a NY registration paper and window sticker:

"I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Thanks everyone. Perhaps I've been remiss all these years. I'll have to check and see what KS requires. When I get my plates I file the paperwork with my other automotive stuff, such as maintenance records.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atcs2152 View Post
    Here's something I find curious that I'd love to have clarified: I've seen posts either here or on other forums where allegedly the driver is asked by the LEO to produce a driver's license and registration. You also see it a lot in movies and TV shows (as if that's a reflection of reality.) I've been driving for 36 years and have been stopped by the police in IL, WI, MN, ND and KS and never once had to show my "registration". I don't even know what that is. Is it like a title? Nobody carries their title around, it's as valuable as the car. Driver's license, of course. Proof of insurance, yes. Registration, never. So, my question is: Where does this come from? Are there some states that require you to carry a copy of your registration (whatever that is)? Is this a holdover from some bygone era? Or is it simply a common misconception?
    I do not know about your state. Some states require you to show your registration. Some states don't and don't
    even issue one in a form that would be usable. I don't know if Iowa still requires, as it once did, that a registration
    card be attached to your visor or steering column. So, your experience might be a Kansas thing.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

My experience with traffic stops is limited to Florida and Virginia. I can't remember a time when I wasn't asked for both.

You'll be asked for a registration when stopped in Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

My husband gets pulled over frequently here in central FL. He has gotten a ticket for not having his registration paperwork on him. A least locally, it's required to be carried, although the sheriff's office does recommend you carry a copy, not the original. The sticker needs to be on the car, but you need the paperwork as well. I think ticket will get reduced (or eliminated, I forget now) as long as you go to a LEO before the due date and show the proof, I know that's how it worked if you don't have proof of insurance on you.

Ca. = have to show registration and also proof on insurance.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Here in SC you have the police ask for your license, registration, and proof on insurance when they stop you.

I was once riding in a car with a friend of mine who was pulled over by a state trooper. When the trooper asked for his registration and proof of insurance he pulled out the previous years registration and an expired proof of insurance. When my friend realized that both were expired and that he did not have the updated copy, he starts freaking out until he realizes that he left the current registration in a lockbox at his house as well as the updated insurance card. Knowing my friend and how he is (stupid) I just started laughing and couldn't stop throughout the entire traffic stop. The Trooper was nice enough to verify the registration and called the insurance company to double check if his insurance was up to date, and just reminded him that he needed to keep both in the car for incidents like that. He still got the 25 dollar ticket for not wearing his seat belt.

I had to show mine last week on a bogus seatbelt stop.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Amazing the number of people who get stopped by the police while driving their car. As a civilian I have never once been stopped by the police for anything whatsoever.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

As with many things, looks like a State-by-State issue.

TX Registration window sticker suffices here, registration paperwork gets filed with maintenance records. I've never been asked for registration paperwork in TX in 34 years.

TX asks for license & proof of insurance. Insurance status can now be verified electronically. My last stop in 11/11 (first time in 15 yrs.) I already had in hand my license, CHL, & insurance card when the officer approached.

His (state trooper) response was: "I don't need your insurance card, I already know your vehicle is covered", this from having run my plates before he approached my car.

CHL issue was cool, I told him where my firearm was located (left hip, must notify in TX) as I handed him the CHL, he simply said with a smile, "please just leave it there & we'll both be fine".

We then discussed highschool volleyball for 5 minutes when he found out we were headed to Abilene for the state regional playoffs, as his neice's school was playing there as well. We were stopped 30 miles outside Abilene, so the Abilene area was his "backyard".
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Most states in the Northeast require you to produce the vehicle registration along with DL and proof of insurance when stopped.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links