My old UK - still easing a criminal's life maybe!

This is a discussion on My old UK - still easing a criminal's life maybe! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by steve_db Police in the UK don't carry guns? Come on -that can't be true. No, they really don't. They do have 'Armed ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My old UK - still easing a criminal's life maybe!

It's true

Quote Originally Posted by steve_db View Post
    Police in the UK don't carry guns?
    Come on -that can't be true.
    No, they really don't. They do have 'Armed Response Units' as backup (think of SWAT) and there are also armed officers at places like airports, but the vast majority of police are armed with nothing more than a stick, maybe some spray and some harsh language.

A small number officers may not be a member of an Armed Response Unit, but may be firearms certified and can be issued firearms in response to a specific incident, but this would be for that incident only.

Here's a wikipedia article on London Polices version of their armed response unit, commonly known as SO19.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SO19
    Last edited by Fragman; September 17th, 2006 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added link

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    My wife has family still in England. Her cousin came over with his family to visit Texas about eight months ago. One of the nicest guys you will ever meet. However, we gett to talking about gun control and he starts talking about how no one should ever need a gun...blah blah blah. My 7 year old son looks at him and says "why would you ever live in a country where you couldn't protect your family?" (chip off the old block - no wait a minute he is smarter - lol)

Of course we then get into a great debate and next thing I know we are at the range the following week and my wife's cousin is like a kid in a candy store. He fired everything I handed to him and loved it. Don't know that I turned him, but definitely showed him how much fun it can be to shoot.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_db View Post
    Police in the UK don't carry guns?
    Come on -that can't be true.
    It also looks that they don't show up when called either....

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ult_delay.html

Police apology over assault delay

GREATER Manchester Police have apologised to a family who were attacked in their home and had to wait a week for officers to respond.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links