Call it the Gunshine State: Florida ladies are packin' heat

This is a discussion on Call it the Gunshine State: Florida ladies are packin' heat within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In fact, more than 70,000 women between the ages of 51 and 65 got their concealed weapons permits here in the Sunshine State in May ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Call it the Gunshine State: Florida ladies are packin' heat

In fact, more than 70,000 women between the ages of 51 and 65 got their concealed weapons permits here in the Sunshine State in May 2012 alone. That's right -- Grandma's packing!

Call it the Gunshine State: Florida ladies are packin' heat | Fox News

"Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Nice, In MI women make up 25% of our conceal carriers....I think they get it...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I had a fellow neighbor organize several women who wanted to get their cards (along with him). He knew I carried, and wanted me to come talk to them about the process. I spent a couple of hours meeting with them and talking to them, let them check out several (empty) pieces, wheelie vs. semi, see how they work, how to load, how to clear, etc. We discussed calibers, ammo, lethal force, SYG, imminent threat, AOJP, SA, etc. It was nice to help complete newbs down the proper path. I got them all signed up to take the CWP class, which they did. They've now all received their cards, and now they call me to come over and check out their new pieces. They've been going to the range together and have paid for additional training. It's been great because I've usually kept my gun-nut ways to myself in my neighborhood, but now, we almost have an impromptu militia on my block, as I only know of four houses out of 16 that don't have a CWPer. Now I gotta get them into rifles.

P95
    Good for them...I feel the majority of women should carry.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Good for them! I believe women are taken more seriously by politicians, especially in certain matters, like gun rights. The more women that carry, the more likely those who choose to carry will no longer be perceived as paranoid, cowboy wannabes.
    Spirit51 and atctimmy like this.

Let’s hope that all those new gun permit owners are anti-Obama voters
    MrBuckwheat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Let’s hope that all those new gun permit owners are anti-Obama voters
    You better believe it!

Geezers with guns...I like it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm proud to be one of FL's women packing! Got my permit in March and have carried daily since. I've been trying to get some women from a local mom's group together to go to the range with me but so far we haven't been able to coordinate it, none of them carry but several have handled guns before.

retsupt99: I ressemble that remark!
    Spirit51 likes this.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was younger

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    It's interesting also to watch the amount of news media that is being attached to all of this. We know that the media is liberal biased, and their efforts at "awareness" are always going to be aimed at trying to make a case, somewhere down the road, for more restrictive gun laws -- or, in the case of the Tampa Bay Times, a re-write of the Constitution that does not provide for gun ownership.

My grandmother, 50 and 60 years ago, always carried. She didn't need a permit. She lived in Northern Michigan with a very small radius of travel outside of the farm, and everywhere she went everyone knew her and knew she had her gun with her.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

It seems in these uncertain times many women have realized the importance of self defense. I don't really find this unusual as women have been the "protectors" of the family in so many levels. Health, feeding, kissing those little "boo boos". So as times change many realize that their roles have expanded. Besides, why put all the pressure on the men...we can't be with one all the time and isn't it easier and safer to be a "combined front" against those elements that threaten our loved ones. I believe the best working marriages are a matter of team work and this is just another element of it. I am proud that my fellow women have woken up to this. It not only makes them and theirs safer, but really adds to the safety of all of us. Check out both of my saying below....I believe they both apply here.
    Inspector71 and GeorgiaDawg like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I believe that with more women getting licenses it's catching on and little old ladies may not be the target thugs think they are
    Spirit51 and goldshellback like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    It's interesting also to watch the amount of news media that is being attached to all of this. We know that the media is liberal biased, and their efforts at "awareness" are always going to be aimed at trying to make a case, somewhere down the road, for more restrictive gun laws -- or, in the case of the Tampa Bay Times, a re-write of the Constitution that does not provide for gun ownership.

My grandmother, 50 and 60 years ago, always carried. She didn't need a permit. She lived in Northern Michigan with a very small radius of travel outside of the farm, and everywhere she went everyone knew her and knew she had her gun with her.
    You are right that the media is always looking to sensationalize any gun related event. We, as a group, need to be and act very responsibly and not give the media anything negative to spin. Bad behavior is unavoidable in any group and guns are no different. It appears to me that the more licenses are issued the more the chances of negative events. The media, both left and right, sit with baited breath waiting for it to occur.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I believe that with more women getting licenses it's catching on and little old ladies may not be the target thugs think they are
    Darn skippy!
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links