No More Natural Gene Pool Cleansing - Page 2

No More Natural Gene Pool Cleansing

This is a discussion on No More Natural Gene Pool Cleansing within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think a lot of automotive technology is designed as a substitute for actual driving skill. I, too, have had problems when some technological advancement ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think a lot of automotive technology is designed as a substitute for actual driving skill. I, too, have had problems when some technological advancement has gone wrong and prefer to control my vehicle all by myself. But, that's going away. Too bad that no new technology will keep someone from running right over the top of me on my Harley, nor is there technology like Doc mentioned, that will stop people from talking on cell phones while driving.

Could we invent something to zap all the idiots talking on cell phones while driving????? That would be useful and it would cut accident rates drastically.
    Thank you!!! Driving while talking on a phone is as distracting as, driving while intoxicated.

Myself I drive a underpowered little Moped. I have the advantage of maneuverability wich is huge, when driving in a state where 80% of the drivers turned off their brain before starting the ignition!

Politicians want to control firearms, when they should worry more about who holds a drivers license.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    deploy (sounds so much better than detonate)
    I prefer the term detonate, as that is a perfect description of what mine did. Then they put the stupid things under the horn button, which is exactly what you will try to push down on with your thumb when a collision is immenant. More than one person has lost a digit or three to an airbag.

Auto fan I can see we agree on this topic, but you stated your case much more eloquently than I managed to do. Give me reliablility and predictability, over the latest whizbang upteen thousand dollar add on any day.

abs and air bags i can do with out im still out on esc my one awd suv has it my second doesnt ill let ya know after winter

Subject of training

One thing to consider, 50% of highway fatalities are people who were doing nothing wrong. The other guy caused the accident and killed them.

We do nothing for training drivers. You get your license at 16 years of age and you drive. If you never forget to renew, you never have to take nothing more than an eye test again. I think this is one reason more people die on the highway than in any other place.

Many of us at this forum take training seriously. I have attended CCW and tactical classes to shoot better. I have taken a motorcycle safety course to learn to ride that hog I have. And others I know have taken car driving safety courses. All of this makes us better defensive drivers but the average joe-shmoe does not care. He will drive like NASCAR when going to and from work, regardless of the weather and folks will talk on the phone like their conversation was the most important in thier life.

These safety systems are for them, so they dont kill the rest of us. I think I can live it.

I pull over to talk though I do have bluetooth through the car and phone. My car also handles well and the ABS, Traction Control and Stability Control are seemless. I also do have NAV so I don't need to consult a map while drivibg and airbags all around including for the head and sides/rear along with fog lights and HID headlights.
    I drive pretty reasonably but will take all the whiz bang I can get if it protects myself and my family.
    If I can spend money on guns I can also spend it on safety devices for the cars. I also invest in only the highest quality tires and use special tires for summer and special tires for winter.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    We do nothing for training drivers. You get your license at 16 years of age and you drive. If you never forget to renew, you never have to take nothing more than an eye test again. I think this is one reason more people die on the highway than in any other place.
    Guys, coming from a high school teacher that has lost a few students due to driving accidents, sign your teenagers up for defensive driving classes. There are some out there that are very hands on that teach young drivers great techniques for avoiding accidents. I believe that these classes would benefit all adults as well. Perhaps you could take one together, even though odds are that your teenager hates your guts right now. Don't worry, they will grow out of once they begin to realize that you do know what you are talking about.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Doc's got a damned good point. If you can afford it, see if you could get your kid to head out for a track day. NASA (not the space agency) does events at almost every track in the country. Everyone starts in HPDE 1. HPDE actually stands for High-Performance Drivers Ed. Its a great way to get the kids out to an event and everyone can enjoy it. Some insurance companies even give discounts for completeing the course.

What needs to be considered, tho, is that some teens will take this to mean that they are "certified" racers and may take it to mean they can drive like that on the street.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I know I didn't take my son for his license untill he was almost 18, made him go through a few permits till I thought he was really ready. I do alot of driving in high traffic areas and wanted to be certain he could do the same safely.
    I'm certain he could have passed the test with his 1st permit after the obligatory time but I wanted him to have more experience.

I do like the whiz bang saftey features but I will admit that they are no substitute for skill and thought processes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Could we invent something to zap all the idiots talking on cell phones while driving????? That would be useful and it would cut accident rates drastically.
    Amen on that! I ride a motorcycle and see these idiots (who don't see me) all the time!

Let's stabilize the drivers and we wouldn't have to worry about stabilizing the cages...
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links