What happened to popular music? - Page 2

What happened to popular music?

This is a discussion on What happened to popular music? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Pop music is the same as it ever was. You guys are just turning into your fathers and grandfathers....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: What happened to popular music?

Pop music is the same as it ever was. You guys are just turning into your fathers and grandfathers.

Rock and Glock, mlr1m and Xader like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Ooooof. My mint '78 Fender Jazz Bass is the holy grail of electric basses. Remember Nigel Tufnel--"Don't touch it! Nobody has ever touched it." That's me.
    Last year I took the family to Graceland, and behind the glass they had a beautiful wood grain Fender Jazz just like I had. Man, I would like to have another!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

These kids today with their long hair and their crappy music. GET OFF MY LAWN!
    Xader likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Sponsor
    The beat rig I had was a '68 fender jazz and a black face Fender Base Man amp with a directional 4-15 cabinet. I didn't actually own the guitar, it was the property of the shop I work for. But man, what dynamic combination!

Every generation has had memorable bands/songs/lyrics/riffs, butt the the op is right that things have changed for the worse. As technology has progressed, innovation has come to a stand still.

Les Paul was innovative on a musical and a technological level. Jimi Hendrix took his innovation and ran with it! Think what He and Randy Rhoads would be doing today had they survived! And that brings me back to Dime Bag Daryl. He could make a six string do things that should be impossible! Zakk Wylde has proven to be an extraordinary talent but he is one of few these days

Where has the art gone?
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Hey, I'm definitely "the younger crowd" and I can see what you mean. My CD case (yeah, I said CDs, 'cause MP3s suck) is filled with The Doors, Sabbath, Dire Straights (I like the trumpet playin' bands...) Van Halen, Def Leppard, oodles of Lynyrd Skynyrd, and a whole lotta other similar stuff.

At the same time, while musical talent is to be admired and respected; Music always was, and always will be about the way it makes you FEEL, and I think it speaks to the progression of society that the youth always choose to feel different than the generations before.
    mprp likes this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Pop music is the same as it ever was. You guys are just turning into your fathers and grandfathers.

You're probably right. Who are the great bands of today that make awesome music and will be remembered for the next 30-40 years?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

CDs? What's a CD? Mine all say stuff like, Sun, RCA, Decka, Capital and have funny numbers like 33 and 45 on it. I can't get the darn things to fit into the slot. :)
    msgt/ret and l1a1 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Same thing that happened to popular music from times before those...people grow older & the new generation sets the standards.

\ \ shudders / /

The horror...the horror.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

numbers like 33 1/3, 45, & 78,,,,,, wish I had kept all mine in good shape
    but regretfully ,,,, I did not and many have faded away,,,,, Music is leaving
    us ,,,, much like our freedoms. Oh well to the great days & sounds of the past
    and hopefully to better days a head.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    CDs? What's a CD? Mine all say stuff like, Sun, RCA, Decka, Capital and have funny numbers like 33 and 45 on it. I can't get the darn things to fit into the slot. :)
    Have a lot of vinyl myself and bought a CD recorder in order to transfer them to CDs and save the records. I go to a lot of garage sales and some flea markets and some times get lucky in finding good music. As far as the new stuff I listen to very little of it except Bluegrass like you said about the only original music left. On a side note the coast-to-coast motorcycle ride DO IT; back in 1980 I took 35 days leave and rode from California to Virginia down to Florida and back to California. Heading east it tried to stay on US 50 as much as I could since it parallels the Pony Express Trail, would love to do the ride again.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have a lot of vinyl as well (1K+). I finally bought a decent turntable with a USB interface and have gradually been digitizing the rare stuff. It's so time consuming, it's just been easier to buy most of the available stuff again. But it never sounds the same....

VIP Member
    There are still some great bands out there. You just need to dig a little deeper in the world of instant gratification.

Mumford and sons ( I will bet a coke you can't listen to this song twice in a row without it catching you.):

These guys are pretty popular:

I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Anyone else notice it coincides with the decline of the actual "manly men" who had leading roles in popular movies, to the pansies we have today?

In "the day", there was Lynyrd Skynyrd, Hendrix, the Allman Brothers, Led Zepplin, ZZ Top, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash and many others. This coincides with actors in popular movies like Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Charles Bronson, and Steeve Mcqueen.

Now we have Justin Bieber, Boy Bands, Pop country, and all sorts of "touchy-feely" stuff, most of which requires very little musical talent. And leading men along the lines are all along the same lines, "touchy-feely", whiny, talentless hacks.

Just an observation of mine. Maybe it has to do with some sort of cultural shift during which it became cool for men to pluck their eyebrows, and get mani-pedis.
    hogdaddy, HotGuns and goldmaster like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I said CDs, 'cause MP3s suck
    Vinyl compares to CD's the same way. Get a great turntable, clean vinyl's, a great receiver and speakers, and you'll hear music you never have heard before.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member

Another favorite band.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links