What happened to popular music? - Page 3

What happened to popular music?

This is a discussion on What happened to popular music? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I worked the technical side of the recording biz in the early 70's... multichannel mixing consoles and such. It took some discipline and forethought to ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: What happened to popular music?

I worked the technical side of the recording biz in the early 70's... multichannel mixing consoles and such. It took some discipline and forethought to "lay down some tracks" in an organized fashion that resulted in musical sense back then. Nowadays, anyone with a laptop and some cheap software can combine multiple inputs, alter their sound, and "produce music." Recently I was listening to a "popular" song on the radio - happened to be rap/hip-hop - and I realized it was essentially a mish-mosh of so many tracks, that other than the rhythm and the vocal tracks, the rest was so many disharmonious tracks in the background it was just noise, and distracting noise at that. Art? Hardly. That tune would make your door panels and trunk lid thump, but it wasn't music.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

Another favorite band.
    Country?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

VIP Member
    Contemporary Christian.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

hbc
    Lemme see... Justin Bieber, Lady Ga Ga, some Hip Hop "artist" or Yes, Allman Brothers, Neil Young, Steely Dan, Outlaws... Boy, I don't know....
    darbo likes this.

Here's one of my new favorite bands. Even has a 2nd Amendment theme too.

Preacher Stone
    Come On In by Preacher Stone - YouTube

Here's a barn burner from the 90s.
    Cry of Love
    Cry Of Love Highway Jones - YouTube

Here's me playing along with a smokin little band from Texas's recording (if anyone cares that is) :)
    Hero's of mine for sure. Dig Nigel's shirt!
    Built the LP from a kit.
    zz2.wmv - YouTube

Again if anyone's interested, here is a little basement acoustic project I did a while back. All of the posts from the music types kind of surprised me and I felt the need to contribute. :)

SoundClick artist: 76Custom - page with MP3 music downloads
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    Here's one of my new favorite bands. Even has a 2nd Amendment theme too.

Preacher Stone
    Come On In by Preacher Stone - YouTube

Here's a barn burner from the 90s.
    Cry of Love
    Cry Of Love Highway Jones - YouTube

Here's me playing along with a smokin little band from Texas's recording (if anyone cares that is) :)
    Hero's of mine for sure. Dig Nigel's shirt!
    Built the LP from a kit.
    zz2.wmv - YouTube

Again if anyone's interested, here is a little basement acoustic project I did a while back. All of the posts from the music types kind of surprised me and I felt the need to contribute. :)

SoundClick artist: 76Custom - page with MP3 music downloads
    I enjoy the videos. Good guitar with ZZ top.

The sound of the other videos reminded me very much of the sound of Kenny Wayne Shepard. (seen him many times)

"Blue on Black" great song...

Kenny Wayne Shepherd "Blue on Black" Live At Guitar Center's King of the Blues - YouTube
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Noise. Beat. Rhythm. Use of tools to alter noise, beat, rhythm. Music is an entirely different animal, IMO. Many are called "artists" for a reason.

Imagine a caveman jam session. "Grongk, we need a bit more antler on the downbeat. Hey, Krugg, easy on the stump, there, bud."

l1a1 and JoJoGunn like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Nothing happened to it. Popular music is endless....

The music that was played in the '50's was popular then......

The music that was played in the '60's was popular then......

Etc., etc., etc.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Popular music is a reflection of the times in which it was created. Enough said, now what's this mp3 nonsense?

victrola.jpg

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I think it is a combination of all of the above:
    1 - as you get older, you still appreciate that which you grew up with and tend to dislike the current stuff
    2 - technology has changed, rapidly, and long with it so has music and even the entire infrastructure around it.
    3 - competition for entertainment. Just as we no longer have everyone in the nation watching the same hit show at the same time, music is more eclectic
    4 - music tends to reflect "the times" in which it is created. Perhaps music today is a reflection of today?
    5 - The RIAA and a dying industry. The business models changed in the 90s. Music stores started to fade when music became something that Best Buy and Walmart used as a loss leader. Big Box retail took over and sold mass produced hardware and the mom-pop audio-video stores went away. The industry began to sue their customers and engage in price fixing.
    6 - Clear Channel as someone else said. Gone is local radio. Radio is national and your local station is a hard drive and a repeated satelite feed from somewhere else.
    7 - The producer - it all sounds the same and is all over produced. It is as if a small collection of (RIAA) executives have decided what everyone wants to hear and they produce that. No risk, minimal rewards.

Music also took a turn for the worse in the late 80's early 90s with rap. It became a force unto itself to be as offensive as possible. Current music was always offensive to older people, but to deliberately model it around every obscenity you can think of, to denigrate women, and deify crime. To me, this um, "music" is indicative of the negative aspects of a certain, "culture". And it is really sad. Even if the desire is to have a unique culture or even represent African heritage (which has a rich and unique culture), this isn't the way to do it.

Plenty of great music and talented artists out there.

Thing is, the delivery and packaging models have changed. You need to use Pandora, or Last.fm, or Spotify, or similar. The old model of bands and agents and top-10 lists and albums doesn't apply to newer artists much.

We're starting to see this reflected in the firearms industry, too. S&W's launch of the Shield was textbook. A classic new product rollout. In the future, though, there will probably be more engagement online and less physical stuff.
    Xader likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Kenny Wayne Shepard is pretty awesome. Seen him a couple of times as well. Dude can play.

Another ill of newer music is the "volume wars". Mix everything as hot as it will absolutely go. We can't have the last song on the radio be percieved as louder than the one we just played. No dynamics anymore. Just kind of sounds like mush to me. I can still break out the old Steely Dan, Zep, Rush, Supertramp, etc.

I've got a fever. And the only cure is more antler on the downbeat. Listen to me and you'll be wearing gold plated diapers. :)
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

I am fine with music today. Maybe it is because I am young? I remember the days. Womens jeans, long hair, braclets, and who knows what else. ATC posted the black keys. Saw them three times after they released attack and release. They play instruments.

Started exploring the electronic stuff recently, as well as some modern dub. Both are good stuff. May have some looping and sampling, but I am fine with it. Someone still has to sit back, come up with the idea, and arrange it. An old roommate was messing with all that. It was by no means an instant process. The computer is not automating it for him. He still needs to compose the work. Perhaps think of it as writing sheet music. I doubt classical composers could play every instrument but the understood how to piece it all together.

Rap is a mixed bag for me. Seemed to split between hip hop and gangster rap. The latter I do not like.

For me at least, it seems any big innovation is over. It just leaves people the ability to explore within it, or go off in a new direction. Is someone going to figure out a new way to do a guitar solo or something. It's all been done.

VIP Member
    After watching l1A1 play a little guitar to ZZ top I had to play the whole song for my kids. I loaded up La Grange and let it rip. My kids were jumping around like a bunch of crazy monkeys. What a great song.
    l1a1 likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    Kenny Wayne Shepard is pretty awesome. Seen him a couple of times as well. Dude can play.

Another ill of newer music is the "volume wars". Mix everything as hot as it will absolutely go. We can't have the last song on the radio be percieved as louder than the one we just played. No dynamics anymore. Just kind of sounds like mush to me. I can still break out the old Steely Dan, Zep, Rush, Supertramp, etc.

I've got a fever. And the only cure is more antler on the downbeat. Listen to me and you'll be wearing gold plated diapers. :)
    Please, don't leave out AC/DC or George Thorogood.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links