What happened to popular music? - Page 4

What happened to popular music?

This is a discussion on What happened to popular music? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I see junk on all those charts. The 70's popular music sucked as much as the 90's. Today, we take it to a new level ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: What happened to popular music?

I see junk on all those charts. The 70's popular music sucked as much as the 90's. Today, we take it to a new level of suck. What is that Bieber girl singing about?

Ok, this is coming from a metal/punk guy, but you know IS sounding good lately? There is a revival of people in their 20's doing modern bluegrass and it sounds great! The averett bros, Sarah Jarosz. Maybe check that out.

That's too funny atctimmy, my girls go wild over old ZZtop as well. Good music is good music through the ages. Kids don't need Nickelodian and MTV to tell em that ZZtop and Skynyrd and Zeppelin all rocked out. I was flipping through my MP3 player in the car and my girls demanded that I crank up the Immigrant Song by Zep. 5 and 8. They seem to know what rocks!

Absolutely can't forgot Angus, Malcom and the boys. George ThoroughlyGood....nuff said.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Of those in the past who complained about the then present music, could have seen the future, they would have embraced it.
    l1a1 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    Here's one of my new favorite bands. Even has a 2nd Amendment theme too.

Preacher Stone
    Come On In by Preacher Stone - YouTube

Here's a barn burner from the 90s.
    Cry of Love
    Cry Of Love Highway Jones - YouTube

Here's me playing along with a smokin little band from Texas's recording (if anyone cares that is) :)
    Hero's of mine for sure. Dig Nigel's shirt!
    Built the LP from a kit.
    zz2.wmv - YouTube

Again if anyone's interested, here is a little basement acoustic project I did a while back. All of the posts from the music types kind of surprised me and I felt the need to contribute. :)

SoundClick artist: 76Custom - page with MP3 music downloads
    Those are all cool. Nice LP. Now cut your strings off.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Those are all cool. Nice LP. Now cut your strings off.
    You just made coffee come out my nose. Thanks. :)
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

I like popular music from the Victorian age through the 1970/80's. Then it all went to junk. No melody, no talent, and a coarse, vulgar lyric. What's to like?

Input from a drummer, singer and sometimes bassist and write the occasional song.

Popular Music is in the stages of evolution from one generation to the next. It happens. There is a studio drummer named Hal Blaine. Listen to any Beach Boys song, Carpenters, Mamas & Papas on a list of 3,000 songs and most likely you will hear him. He was part of a group of studio people in the 60's and 70's and he dubbed themselves "The Wrecking Crew" not because they tore things up, but the older generation of musicians they were competing with said "these kids are wrecking the biz!"

It meant that the "kids" were doing music that was changing the scene. The old guys hated Rock music, callled it dirty "black" music and refused to perfom or record it. Once it gained popularity however, they could not wait to be called to a studio, but by then, it was too late.

I find that I am basically lost in the music up to the mid 1990's and to me, that is where it changed into something I seldom recognize. My parents disliked my music, Eagles, Doobie Bros., Chicago, Seals & Crofts etc. Now that is much of the stuff they listen to.

I belong to a Harmonica Club, but there are other musicians that come and play. We do stuff of all kinds, and we don't use any electronic means to produce sound, with the exception of keyboards and amplified guitars and vocals. We are as comfortable wailing on a 12 bar Robert Johnson blues tune as we are with "Wreck of the Old '97."

I am fairly convinced that the changes in music are inevitible, hopefully they won't be horrible ones.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Anyone else notice it coincides with the decline of the actual "manly men" who had leading roles in popular movies, to the pansies we have today?

In "the day", there was Lynyrd Skynyrd, Hendrix, the Allman Brothers, Led Zepplin, ZZ Top, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash and many others. This coincides with actors in popular movies like Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Charles Bronson, and Steeve Mcqueen.

Now we have Justin Bieber, Boy Bands, Pop country, and all sorts of "touchy-feely" stuff, most of which requires very little musical talent. And leading men along the lines are all along the same lines, "touchy-feely", whiny, talentless hacks.

Just an observation of mine. Maybe it has to do with some sort of cultural shift during which it became cool for men to pluck their eyebrows, and get mani-pedis.
    Those of us who appreciated great rock also had to put up with a certain amount of crap masquerading as rock.
    Don't forget that mixed in with all of those great artists were the Cowsills, Jackson Five, Osmonds, Tommy Rowe, The Archies, Tommy James and the Shondells and many other posers.

Oh and when mentioning great artists how could you guys forget the Animals?

Michael

All in all, every generation or music genre has from great artists to lousy artists. Time filters them for us. The lousy artists disappear forever, the great artists claim their space in musical consciousness. Time fixes a lot of things. This has gone on for centuries, and will continue.

So it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    All in all, every generation or music genre has from great artists to lousy artists. Time filters them for us. The lousy artists disappear forever, the great artists claim their space in musical consciousness. Time fixes a lot of things. This has gone on for centuries, and will continue.

So it goes.
    Perfect explanation. I feel there are some great artist today but guess it depends on where you look. I saw Zach brown live and he was incredible. That man is a true artist IMHO.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Only late model band on the radio that's worth a dam is Theroy of a deadman. The boys have "old school" talent.

A lot of good points have been touched upon. For me, someone who is in his 20's, it has always seemed easy to look back. I grew up on classic rock (Zep, Stones, Hendrix), then got into Metallica and Iron Maiden, then got into the grunge stuff. The 90's had tons of good bands, e.g. Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Alice in Chains, The Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, etc. It was also the pinnacle of hip hop.

It seems like it was easier to get into the good old stuff because people already decided what was generally good. It had been filtered, to a certain extent. The internet changed a lot of things, and now, one must sift through the garbage to get to the good stuff.

I personally don't see a whole lot of difference between the lists in the OP. The 70's had tons of garbage. Music is out there, though. They just don't fill stadiums anymore, probably because of the internet.

Led Zeppelin is the greatest band ever.

I was listening to the "Breakfast with The Beatles" weekly Sunday show. In 1968, The Who appeared on the BBC pop music show, and Pete Townsend introduced their new song as the "most raucous rock and roll song ever". McCartney happened to be standing in the wings, took offense, and a week later, they recorded "Helter Skelter", which is truly the most raucous song of that era. Bands back then (Beach Boys, Beatles, Who, Stones) all listened to each other and fed off each new level each band achieved. I always liked that story.

On a totally separate subject, if you haven't seen this, you owe it to yourself......

Bohemian Rhapsody with Mnozil Brass - YouTube

What I can't believe is how long this has been around. If you pay attention to a lot of music even of today, you will find this song in there somewhere even if it's not with all of these chords. I think a LOT of songs have derrived from this. Johann Pachelbel Canon in D Major fantastic version, classical music - YouTube You may think I'm crazy but listen to some of the slower melodies and see if you can make a connection. I bet there's more than you thought.

For instance, Tattoo (Speer Version) - YouTube

or Blues Traveler - Hook - YouTube

Although performed with newer instruments, you can hear Pachelbel's "Canon" in there if you play the melody in your head while you're listening to the newer song. Especially Blues Traveler's "Hook." Let 'er rip!

Music does live on!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

So it goes.
    Completely true. Now is the first decade when I hate it all though and have stopped listening to the radio though.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links