What happened to popular music?

This is a discussion on What happened to popular music? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A music trivia question came up in my house today. In an effort to find the answer I began searching Billboard Top 100's in the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: What happened to popular music?

A music trivia question came up in my house today. In an effort to find the answer I began searching Billboard Top 100's in the 70's. For example:
    Top 100 Hits of 1976/Top 100 Songs of 1976
    Top 100 Hits of 1977/Top 100 Songs of 1977
    etc, etc....
    Just change the year in the addy to see more. My point?

Every single one of these songs is very well known, most are quite good and memorable, most still get airplay on one format or another. There's melody, there's meaning, and there's musical and songwriting talent on display.

Now move to the 90's:
    Top 100 Hits of 1993/Top 100 Songs of 1993

I hardly recognize or have heard of half of them. The ones I recognize, it's because they suck so bad you wouldn't be caught dead humming them. If you look at the 2000's, it's even worse. I have no idea what any of these songs are sans U2, etc. None will stand the test of time.

Disclaimer: I am a professional musician and have some firm opinions, but I'm curious from you all:
    What happened to music?

You'd be surprised how many of those oldies are reworked and replayed in some of the movies these days. I watched Wanted yesterday (for the fourth time) and the Pina Colada song got me this time around. Pop music is still alive, it's just wearing a different mask these days or it's been jazzed up a bit.
    I like U2 matter of fact.
    What happened to music?
    What happened to this country?
    LOL! You can find just about anything on YouTube now. If you want a digital copy or download, I suggest 7digital since that's what I use to get the oldies that come to mind. If it's in your head, it's long from gone. Even if it happens to be a sucky tune. LOL!

I used to be a studio musician, bassist. Now days, music is complete crap. Synthesized music and no vocal talent. 5 piece bands and Marshall stacks have been replaced by prerecorded canned music.

I use to dislike Bluegrass, but now because it's the only real pure music left, I love it. Because I appreciate the talent.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I believe MTV had a detrimental effect on the quality of music. Talent took a back seat to looks and production costs.

Aside: Glockman10mm, is there anything you haven't done?
    ericb327 likes this.

It started really sucking in the last 10 years. That's what.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I believe MTV had a detrimental effect on the quality of music. Talent took a back seat to looks and production costs.

Aside: Glockman10mm, is there anything you haven't done?
    Quite a bit. Am still looking forward to that cross country motorcycle trip, go back to Kruger Nat Forest to hunt a lion quota, finish my first book, live in Alaska, hike the Applachian trail, hold my first grandchild, quit copenhagen, have time to grow and keep a beard, swim among Great White sharks, but those are some of the easier things on my bucket list.

I would really, really like to face a great bear armed with only a 44 mag and my own handloads, or bow hunt a mature rogue male lion.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    hike the Applachian trail,
    Do the AT! ....."Vice" Georgia to Maine AT'99

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Studio production changed. Drum machine keyboards ETC. It's all electronic.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Two words: Clear Channel And the studios.............

Contemporary popular music now is trash. Unadulterated trash created by studios to maximize profits with the least amount of risk.

I do remember my parents bemoaning the death of music when that crazy British band did the Ed Sullivan Show too..........

And The Day The Music Died................

I am going to miss the CS&N tour this summer too. Argghhhhhhhhh............

There is some quality music out there, small venues, clubs, releases, just need to find it.
    HotGuns and wmhawth like this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    What happened was computer-based digital recording, the Sampler, and Pitch Correction allowing the lowest-common-denominator type of music to be produced by anyone with the ability to buy the gear. This approach was facilitated by recording engineers and producers who embraced the "fix it in the mix" philosophy of music creation, telling the artist, "Don't try to finesse it--we'll do that in here" (meaning the control room). This enhanced the prestige and importance of the engineer while at the same time saving the producers money on recording time. Engineering and mix-down time (and money) was saved through the proliferation of computerized filtering and mixing techniques. These allowed the engineer to do in mere seconds or minutes what was before impossible or required time-consuming re-recording or splicing techniques.

The dropping prices of computers and the rise of the internet put this new music technology within reach of the average wanna-be musician while at the same time lowering the standard of what is available to listen to. Yes, I know that higher levels of music are still out there for those of us who seek them out, but the industry has always been driven by the younger demographic who tend to spend indiscriminately.

Now, everyone is a "star" compliments of Youtube and the lowered standards.

As a "Working musician" quite a few years ago, I used the slogan, We make music the old fashioned way--we play it!

Sponsor
    Grunge(sp) was the the downfall! Even the '80s "Hair Bands" had memorable riffs and some of them had meaningful lyrics. I know that Kurt Cobain's music was from the heart but it had no musicality.

My Father-in-law was a teacher at one of Kurt's "progressive schools" in WA. He told me that he once told a recalcitrant Cobain that the state could make him teach but no one could "make" a child learn.

Then we have to look at Dave Grohl, Nirvana's drummer who went on to head the Foo Fighters. There is some talent!

Things have been looking up for a few years now. I realize that my tastes are probably a bit more rough than most(Pantera is[was] what Metallica wanted to be) but bands like Shine Down, Disturbed and Drowning Pool have taken up the mantel of innovation and prove that music has not stagnated.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Someone crappy made it big and all the other record companies thought they needed to have similar crappy bands on their label to get a piece of the profit pie. It perpetuated from there. Now we have a lot of crappy bands to listen to. I haven't listened to the radio for a few years now.
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Grunge(sp) was the the downfall! Even the '80s "Hair Bands" had memorable riffs and some of them had meaningful lyrics. I know that Kurt Cobain's music was from the heart but it had no musicality.

My Father-in-law was a teacher at one of Kurt's "progressive schools" in WA. He told me that he once told a recalcitrant Cobain that the state could make him teach but no one could "make" a child learn.

Then we have to look at Dave Grohl, Nirvana's drummer who went on to head the Foo Fighters. There is some talent!

Things have been looking up for a few years now. I realize that my tastes are probably a bit more rough than most(Pantera is[was] what Metallica wanted to be) but bands like Shine Down, Disturbed and Drowning Pool have taken up the mantel of innovation and prove that music has not stagnated.
    Many Grunge bands were awesome. The 90s had many great bands. They 00s can't claim that.
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

I sure wish I had kept that VOX and Fender Jazz bass I used to have. Got back into playing a few years back helping the church out, and the Fenders now have spindly light bodys, and shorter necks.
    Now 5 strings seem to be in vogue.

Nothing to me will ever replace the sound of a hot 5 piece band.
    Rock and Glock and Hoganbeg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I sure wish I had kept that VOX and Fender Jazz bass I used to have.
    Ooooof. My mint '78 Fender Jazz Bass is the holy grail of electric basses. Remember Nigel Tufnel--"Don't touch it! Nobody has ever touched it." That's me.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links