is texas is neck and neck with FL in shootings?

This is a discussion on is texas is neck and neck with FL in shootings? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The stand your ground laws seem to be working but as the stats pile up the anti-gun crowd has more fuel for the fire. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: is texas is neck and neck with FL in shootings?

The stand your ground laws seem to be working but as the stats pile up the anti-gun crowd has more fuel for the fire. I see it as these people don't have to get drug through a knot hole to defend them selves

Since Texas in 2007 expanded its "Castle Doctrine" - in some states known as "Stand Your Ground" - justifiable killings have steadily increased, from 32 statewide in 2006 to 48 in the 2010, the Chronicle's review shows
    Texas justifiable homicides rise with 'Castle Doctrine' - Houston Chronicle

The controversial law which police have cited in their decision not to charge the man who shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin has been invoked at least 130 times statewide since 2005

PolitiFact Florida | Self-defense deaths in Florida have increased dramatically since 'stand your ground' became law in 2005, lawmaker claims

Having six million more people I would expect us to actually be ahead. Thinking about it, w ithall of the assorted things we can shoot someone for here I don't know how many they would classify add standing ones ground.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Couldn't we just compete towards a herd thinning record?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

texas as I know has 510,000 CHL holders (ccw holders) as to were FL has like 1.1 million but both states seem to be right at 48-49 last year

and its just not Texas

An Associated Press analysis of Georgia Bureau of Investigation data found that justifiable homicides involving private citizens averaged seven per year in the three years before the so-called stand your ground law took effect. It then jumped to an average of 13 per year in the five full years since then.
    Killings that involved police officers also saw a similar increase. Meanwhile, Georgia's overall murder rate has decreased between 2000 and 2010, from a rate of 6.1 per 100,000 people in 2000 to 5.4 per 100,000 in 2010. Georgia's population has increased 20 percent during that time.
    Justifiable homicides in Ga. increase after law | savannahnow.com

New Study: "Stand Your Ground" Laws Lead to Increased Deaths
    New Study: "Stand Your Ground" Laws Lead to Increased Deaths | Civil Liberties | AlterNet

so the question is are there more shooting because of crime or are less people getting charged with murder and being classified as justifiable?

How is a justifiable homicide fuel for the anti's? Do they offer an alternative solution ?

Michael
    darbo and beararms like this.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    The stand your ground laws seem to be working but as the stats pile up the anti-gun crowd has more fuel for the fire. I see it as these people don't have to get drug through a knot hole to defend them selves
    All Homicides are compiled into the stats justified or not. The overall number of homicides since "Stand Your Ground" ( Geez I hate that stupid name) are down. In the case of Houston nearly 50%. Compare that with DC and Chicago. IMO I see 2 things happening. Less violence by the bad guys and when violence is happening it is reflected by justified Homicide.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    How is a justifiable homicide fuel for the anti's? Do they offer an alternative solution ?

Michael
    They think that until you get kilt,raped,robbed,or beaten you shouldn't have the means to stop the threat,but that they will punish the criminal by locking him up if they can catch him and prove he did it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Michael
    Do they need too... gun violence is up justified or not, legal or illegal. To them it all goes in one box

I don't see the problem/issue.

Texas justifiable homicides rise with 'Castle Doctrine' - Houston Chronicle

PolitiFact Florida | Self-defense deaths in Florida have increased dramatically since 'stand your ground' became law in 2005, lawmaker claims
    They have articles going of all types in many states (even here) ... and all against the "stand your ground " laws..... which suggests a very concerted effort nationally by someone with an agenda. Or, a particular newspaper syndicate who's aligned with the Dem'. anti-gun cause.

What is it they would like to see instead .... more news reports on "dead victims" .... as that's the alternative.

We.. in particular should not be using the term " shootings" ..... to me, they are people who were able to avoid being "dead victims", and people who have defended themselves. They are "crime survivors".

So, all I can say is " good " ! ! ! ! Less victims, less families mourning their dead family members, and less court cases. Sounds like the ability of law-abiding citizens being able to defend themselves, is improving..... thank goodness.
    beararms likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sadly, the gun grabbers do not care if you shot and killed someone while standing your ground when that evil person was about to murder, rape, rob or burn you or someone else alive. They have an irrational and unsupportable fear of guns, have no clue as to what being responsible for one's own and their family's safety would actually look like, and they have a mindset that tells them that the mere act of owning of a gun will cause a normally sane person to run down the street killing people.

So, I openly tell them to their face, and all of the people I run into, that I will continue to ignore their childlike foolishness, wails and fears and try to ensure that every law abiding citizen has the right to own firearms and carry them for their own self defense, as well as our Second Amendment guarantee to protect our country from elected leaders that would become tyrants.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member

Michael
    Actually, they do. It was best summed up by a vice-mayor of DC in a link previously posted. To sum it up - Be a good victim, take one for the team and quit complaining about it. Heck of a strategy - huh?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    texas as I know has 510,000 CHL holders (ccw holders) as to were FL has like 1.1 million but both states seem to be right at 48-49 last year
    I wonder how many of those 1.1 million actually reside in FL. Remember, FL has made an industry out of printing those little plastic cards. (I am not complaining, mind you, and I have one, but IIRC, they are the industry leader in providing non-res permits).
    beararms and barstoolguru like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

FWIW, Politifact is the child of the Miami Herald/ St Pete Times. Both highly liberal, agenda driven, anti-gun rags. I take anything they say with a whole box of salt....
    beararms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Actually, they do. It was best summed up by a vice-mayor of DC in a link previously posted. To sum it up - Be a good victim, take one for the team and quit complaining about it. Heck of a strategy - huh?
    I think you're supposed to ask the BG politely not to kill you while you hand your stuff over. Also, since the minority BG (just guessing, here...going with the odds) chose you as the victim (the non-minority in this example), it's justified, and definitely not a hate crime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links