Awkard moments or negative responses while using your EDC.

This is a discussion on Awkard moments or negative responses while using your EDC. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Every true EDC'er has had a moment in which he or she deployed a multitool, knife to handle a cutting task or perhaps had their ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Awkard moments or negative responses while using your EDC.

Awkard moments or negative responses while using your EDC.

Every true EDC'er has had a moment in which he or she deployed a multitool, knife to handle a cutting task or perhaps had their Maxpedition pack on and some one made a comment about it or freaked out.

So what's your story.

1. Back when I was working Merchandise pick up at a Sears in my city, I was loading I believe a elliptical or something like that into this customers truck. Well it wouldn't fit unless I took it out of the box, so I pull out my EDC folder at the time which was a Byrd Cara Cara and cut off the straps to open up the box.

The customer sees this and says "Wow that's like a Deer skinning knife, you can hurt someone with that"

I wanted to say something smart back but I didn't.

2. Same knife

This one was inside the Sears break room and one of my coworkers sees my knife and says
    "have you stabbed anyone with that?"

Lol wow.

3. My current EDC knife SOG Trident.

I was over a friends house and I showed her my knife and said here as in to give it to her to look at. She replies "I'm not putting my finger prints on that, you could have killed someone with it"

Lol right.

How about you all?
    beararms likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I carry an SOG Trident but it stays in my pocket. I have a small buck pocket knife that I use for cutting things and cleaning my fingernails
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    I carry an SOG Trident but it stays in my pocket. I have a small buck pocket knife that I use for cutting things and cleaning my fingernails
    I use my mini AK-47 for the cutting task most of the time.

Even small knives can get you questioned.

I had a chick call me a weirdo back in 2007 because I had a flashlight on me, I always carry a flashlight and at the time I believe my EDC light was a Fenix L2T.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Around here you're subject to lose your citizenship if you don't carry a pocket knife.
    l1a1 and ppkheat like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Not mine, but a good friend works a white collar job in the executive world. He carries a buck assisted open knife (not sure the exact model). At a work retreat, they needed to cut some plastic packaging open (you know, that annoying, impossible to open stuff that electronics come in).

They said, "does anybody have a knife?" He pulled his knife out, opened it, and handed it to the person opening the package. He got some strange looks, and his coworker said, "do you always carry that knife?" To which he responded, "Only when I'm angry..."

He thought that was funny, but he wasn't too sure whether anyone else did or not.
    beararms and sgb like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Around here you're subject to lose your citizenship if you don't carry a pocket knife.
    lol I'm in California so its not the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Not mine, but a good friend works a white collar job in the executive world. He carries a buck assisted open knife (not sure the exact model). At a work retreat, they needed to cut some plastic packaging open (you know, that annoying, impossible to open stuff that electronics come in).

They said, "does anybody have a knife?" He pulled his knife out, opened it, and handed it to the person opening the package. He got some strange looks, and his coworker said, "do you always carry that knife?" To which he responded, "Only when I'm angry..."

He thought that was funny, but he wasn't too sure whether anyone else did or not.
    I hate when some one ask a question like that and when you provide the proper tool to do the job, a comment is made against you like you're in the wrong for carrying said tool.

He probably had them on edge with that comment, I bet he was the talk of the night in private.

"Omg did you see that thing!, only a psycho would carry that we have to watch him"

I deployed my Kershaw Leek to scrape wax off of a floor tile & had a woman go all "Lordy he gots a switchblade!" on me. I had to explain it was not a switchblade & that it was purchased at the local cabellas. I also explained it conforms with all local laws regarding blade length & legality of type of knife. Since then I have manually opened the knife in the presence of others.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I cut the foil off of a bottle of wine (a really nice Rothschild Cadet) with my CRKT Ken Crawford Falcon, closed it, and laid it on the table to my left. Later in the evening in a HEATED political argument with two idiots, one accused me of "threatening her" with the knife because it was still on my left side, immediately adjacent to her (right) (on the table, CLOSED).

I about blew my mouth full of wine across the table, burst out laughing, totally lost my decorum, kept drinking, left our neighbors later, and ended the evening vowing to never break bread with their idiot guests again. I have been true to myself since.

Their two guest are still idiots, and I don't care. The beauty of my age.
    beararms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    I hate when some one ask a question like that and when you provide the proper tool to do the job, a comment is made against you like you're in the wrong for carrying said tool.

He probably had them on edge with that comment, I bet he was the talk of the night in private.

"Omg did you see that thing!, only a psycho would carry that we have to watch him"
    I agree! why even ask if you're going to freak out if someone has what you asked for...
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I cut the foil off of a bottle of wine (a really nice Rothschild Cadet) with my CRKT Ken Crawford Falcon, closed it, and laid it on the table to my left. Later in the evening in a HEATED political argument with two idiots, one accused me of "threatening her" with the knife because it was still on my left side, immediately adjacent to her (right) (CLOSED).

I about blew my wine across the table, burst out laughing, totally lost my decorum, kept drinking, left our neighbors later, and ended the evening vowing to never break bread with their idiot guests again. I have been true to myself since.

Their two guest are still idiots, and I don't care. The beauty of my age.
    Did she think it was going to open itself and proceed to embed itself into her?? people never cease to amaze me...

I don't see where the thread is limited to knife...just EDC..so here's a pistol one. Had a gal come in to my Store (optical) one day. As i was finishing up dispensing her new glasses, a guy about 55 years old came in and sat down in the other dispensing chair. As he reached back pocket to pull out his wallet, He lifted his polo shirt enough to show his 1911 in an IWB carry. He quickly adjusted his shirt..picked up his glasses..and left . No harm..no foul. She said to me "did you see that gun?!" I said yep.. and told her that he was a real nice guy, and probably had a CCW tag. She said. "proly..just makes me nervous" I told he "I was actually glad that a few folks carried. Made me feel safer" She said.."Yeah guess thats true". I've known this lady for 20 years.. She has no idea that I had my SR40C, and my LCP on me while she was there with me.. Kinda had to smile..
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Quote Originally Posted by framedcraig1 View Post
    I don't see where the thread is limited to knife...just EDC..so here's a pistol one. Had a gal come in to my Store (optical) one day. As i was finishing up dispensing her new glasses, a guy about 55 years old came in and sat down in the other dispensing chair. As he reached back pocket to pull out his wallet, He lifted his polo shirt enough to show his 1911 in an IWB carry. He quickly adjusted his shirt..picked up his glasses..and left . No harm..no foul. She said to me "did you see that gun?!" I said yep.. and told her that he was a real nice guy, and probably had a CCW tag. She said. "proly..just makes me nervous" I told he "I was actually glad that a few folks carried. Made me feel safer" She said.."Yeah guess thats true". I've known this lady for 20 years.. She has no idea that I had my SR40C, and my LCP on me while she was there with me.. Kinda had to smile..
    LOL you should have raised up your shirt and showed, well maybe not she probably would have had a heart attack lol.

VIP Member
    I have a three bladed Case knife I have carried over thirty years; the longest blade is about two inches long. A while back I had a court appearance in Raleigh, prior to going through the metal detector I dropped it along with the stuff in my pockets into the cup. You would have thought I pulled an eight-foot cobra out of my pocket and dropped it onto the table by the way the guard squealed and backed up.
    Bigdawgderek, beararms and joker1 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links