Is it just me or are guns getting uglier?

This is a discussion on Is it just me or are guns getting uglier? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What ever happened to style? I like function and reliability as much as the next shooter, but some designs are bordering on hideous! Sig P6.jpg ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Is it just me or are guns getting uglier?

Is it just me or are guns getting uglier?

What ever happened to style? I like function and reliability as much as the next shooter, but some designs are bordering on hideous!

Sig P6.jpg

Samuel Colt made a firearm that was an extension of your hand. It was a weapon and a tool and it was a work of art. I dont think there's a reason to sacrifice good design by saying it will preform better.
    Last edited by shooterready; July 4th, 2012 at 06:48 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I think it's just you getting uglier. Ba dum dump! Thank you, I'll be here all week! Remember to tip your waitress and bartender.

But seriously... I will respond with not one, but TWO cliches:

1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know people that think Glocks are beautiful.
    2. Form follows function. A gun is a tool... it shouldn't matter what it looks like so long as it does what it's supposed to do (although we all know it still does to some degree).
    claude clay likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

It's just you.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Some are better than others. Sig p-238 in rainbow. In your hand it isn't as bright as the photo but there is just an irredesant quality to it.

P238 Rainbow
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I want my guns black and ugly. I want them to look like the tools they are.
    Harryball and Armey like this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

OD*
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

I don't want mine too pretty. It rides around with me all day everyday and it wouldn't stay that way long.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Yes, guns are uglier. They used to be hand crafted pieces of art that cost as much as a years salary.

Now they are available to the common man at affordable prices so beauty isn't high on the list of "needs". There are always tradeoffs.

There are still well made, finely crafted beautiful guns out there to be had. They just cost more than most of us can afford.

Here's an example:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=293681501
    marcclarke likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    The ugly ones need love too!
    alafan and BigJon10125 like this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Rose Colored Glasses
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro - Gave it to my Daughter to carry.
    Carry Pistol. Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro Duotone 13+1.
    Carry Pistol. Bersa Thunder 9 HC Pro Duotone 17+1.
    Politicians should be limited to 2 terms - One in office and one in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I want my guns black and ugly. I want them to look like the tools they are.
    This sir we agree on....
    Guest1 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

There is a place for "pretty" or "purrty" guns. We see them form time to time here. As many have stated, our carry weapons get a lot of use and natural wear and tear as opposed to our opulent safe queen that only sees daylight when we return our carry piece to the safe. They are out there, but here the "tool' side is more often seen. Get some beauties and post some pics!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I have a Ruger SP101 revolver and a Ruger (raspberry/black) LCP and they are both pretty to me. Pretty important that is.

We have a antique "pepper box", a vintage Continental Winchester Rifle and a little vintage handgun that were from my father's collection. They are attractive, but I don't think our other weapons are ugly. I guess beauty IS in the eye of the beholder.
    lordofwyr likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Like woman, I prefer beauty. It doesn't take anymore to feed a pretty woman than it does an ugly one.

For me a gun is more than a tool. It is a work of mechanical art, and looks don't take away from the functioning. Nothing to me is more beautiful than a classic revolver, 1911 in it's Goverment Model configuration, or blue steel and nice wood.

Decorative grips are also desirable for me.

My wife has agreed to purchase for me a revolver with full scroll work, gold inlay, and engraving, plus custom exotic grips as a retirement gift. It will most definitely be the most expensive handgun I own, and I will carry it as any edc.

I love my Glocks, but there is something special about a gun that you take great pride in, that's beautiful to look at, and use.
    Give me nickel plating, ivory or mother of pearl grips and exotic leather anyday.
    Im the type of guy who will buy a special edition or commemorative and shoot the hell out of it.

It's not for everybody. But for me, it's a gotta have.
    RKflorida likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Other than super premium long guns most of the pretty stuff today its perfume on a pig. You don't see aesthetically designed pistols anymore. The Walther P38 and PPK were the last. But even they fall short of the Luger.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links