Lifeguard fired after beach rescue

This is a discussion on Lifeguard fired after beach rescue within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Note-to-self : We're on our own........ Lifeguard fired for helping in beach rescue in Hallandale Beach - Sun Sentinel Something about this just ticks me ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Lifeguard fired after beach rescue

Lifeguard fired after beach rescue

Note-to-self : We're on our own........

Lifeguard fired for helping in beach rescue in Hallandale Beach - Sun Sentinel

Something about this just ticks me off.............
    Ya'll be careful out there, swimming or otherwise.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

So...he left his post?
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    So...he left his post?
    Well, sort of. His post was still covered by other lifeguards. He was at his post when he was approached by a bystander who reported that a man was drowning. This story has hit CNN, and the company is enjoying nationwide publicity on this - and 99% of the commentary on the various sites is extremely negative towards the company.

They're probably going to be losing some contracts as this gets out. Rightly so, IMHO.
    goldshellback and mprp like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Lead Moderator
    According to the news I saw last night almost all of the lifeguards working for the company have now quit. None of them are going to stand buy and watch someone die because they are on the wrong side of a sign! Nice to see some people willing to give up their jobs to do what is right, I sure hope someone watching that has jobs make sure they are employed again soon.
    goldshellback and hogdaddy like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Market forces should force this company out of business, however, because their customers are government agencies, who knows. At least if they lose their staff, they will be in breach of contract and could lose their business over that. Governments hate having to close beaches and lose tax revenue that comes from the spending in the area. This company will likely end up in the trash heap where it belongs either way.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    That wouldn't happen on "Bay Watch."

"Rules are rules" is nanny-speak, like "I was only following orders."
    goldshellback likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    So...he left his post?
    Yeah, the seems to be the bottom line. But he saved somebody's life in the process.

Seems to me termination was an extreme response. He could have been suspended for a few days and the company could have fulfilled its employee discipline policy.
    gunthorp likes this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

He didn't loose his job because he left his post. He lost his job because he saved someone's life that was on the other side of a boundary marker that technically was not in his or the company he worked for's "jurisdiction".

The company responded saying they have those rules for liability reasons...good thing the lifeguard threw those out the window and used basic human common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Not sure I understand the connection between a lifeguard being fired by the private company he worked for, for leaving his post by 5 football fields of distance, and Orwell's government monitoring every aspect of citizens lives book 1984.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

He left his post to save a life and got fired, I wonder what would have happened if he looked at the bystander and said "Sorry, no can do, its outside of the patrolled area, and my assigned area". Can you smell the lawsuits on that one? He was damned either way, and I am glad he choose the moral and correct side, of the issue.
    CIBMike likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Yeah, the seems to be the bottom line. But he saved somebody's life in the process.

Seems to me termination was an extreme response. He could have been suspended for a few days and the company could have fulfilled its employee discipline policy.
    Supposedly, company supervisors are reviewing the matter and say that if he was terminated in haste they will make it right up to and including offering him his job back. The job only paid $8.25 an hour according to news reports. I'd say all the publicity will probably get him a better job offer than that.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    He left his post to save a life and got fired, I wonder what would have happened if he looked at the bystander and said "Sorry, no can do, its outside of the patrolled area, and my assigned area". Can you smell the lawsuits on that one? He was damned either way, and I am glad he choose the moral and correct side, of the issue.
    Sometimes that's the choice you get. Deal with the actual happening right now, or the theoretical that isn't actually happening.

I understand the company's legitimate concerns. But I think, in this situation, suspension for 3 days would have been a better overall response.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Not sure I understand the connection between a lifeguard being fired by the private company he worked for, for leaving his post by 5 football fields of distance, and Orwell's government monitoring every aspect of citizens lives book 1984.
    Dystopia becoming real. Orwellian 1984 wasn't simply about control.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This sort of reminds me of the fire department that didn't put a guy's house fire out. No pay, no spray: Firefighters let home burn - US news - Life - msnbc.com Because they're out of the fire department's normal jurisdiction they were supposed to pay a $75 yearly fee. They forgot/didn't and the fire department watched their house burn down. They did, however, take care of the fire the sparked at the neighbors' house, as they had paid the fee.

Personally, I applaud the other lifeguards who have quit in protest. In this economy, it takes guts to quit any job, even to move to another one that may or may not work out. But to just up and quit in support of a friend and colleague, that shows major league class to me. If the company wanted to discipline the guy, I could understand a suspension, written reprimand, remedial training or something along those lines, but firing him was way over the line in my opinion. I work for an IT company. It's not ever my responsibility to save someone's life in the line of duty, however if I ever happened across a situation while out for work that presented a need for that, I'd step up in any way I could regardless of the consequences. It's just a matter of decency and compassion. I wouldn't want to work for any company who would fire someone over having a heart.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links