"if you have nothing to hide"

This is a discussion on "if you have nothing to hide" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When a right becomes a permit given at the whim of the government, you must accept all of the rules, regulations and stipulations that come ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: "if you have nothing to hide"

When a right becomes a permit given at the whim of the government, you must accept all of the rules, regulations and stipulations that come with that permit, which can include inspection of premises and safe storage. Just ask those in countries where this is the norm.

In Texas, try turning away the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission from your establishment when you have been given a permit for the sale of Alcohol and see how fast you regret that. They will come in, they will revoke your permit, and they will haul you outside of your own property and then lock the door behind you.

Thus my reliance on the Second Amendment being a right that cannot be infringed as opposed to a permit and my steadfast refusal to allow that to become a reality so I do not have to refuse to allow entry because their "permit" says they can come in.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

2. Remove Ads

Everyone on this thread is on a DHS list.

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There was a time when Guilty Until Proven Innocent, the Bill Of Rights (first 10 amendments) limitations on government actions, and Live Free Or Die had real, practical meaning.

If I have nothing to hide, then I should have no problems with your intrusion upon my life, Mister G man? Okay, then you should have no problems with my requiring you to prove what possible reasons justify your daring to sidestep the legal restrictions placed upon your actions by the People.

It all comes down to "proxies," I think. A person in a government position has become an 'authority' instead of merely the hired help. Liberties such as the 4A limitation on unreasonable search/seizure all too often masquerade as something quite different. And merely demanding that our governing hirelings live up to the standards we've set for ourselves often brings it right down around our ears, as a proxy for 'governance.' Is it real or Memorex, in a sense. Give me real.

To me, those things have meaning. Always did; always will. And they'll always be worth fighting for.
    I hope your were just being sarcastic on that one....?

Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    There was a time when Innocent Until Proven Guilty, the Bill Of Rights (first 10 amendments) limitations on government actions, and Live Free Or Die had real, practical meaning.
    I hope your were just being sarcastic on that one....?
    No, I had a finger slip ... a brainfade ... was doing two things at once. (Gawd, I can't believe I actually typed that.) Fixed it. Thanks for the poke in the ribs. Much appreciated.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I carry concealed for the same reason that I keep my trousers zipped. I don't have anything to hide in either case, but I also know that everyone doesn't want to see it.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    My view? This is just another thinly veiled us versus them thread.
    Who versus whom? I mean who is the "us" and who is the "them" in your comment?
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Everyone on this thread is on a DHS list.
    Man, I've been on one of those for a long time.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Can't really address this without being political.
    CIBMike likes this.

P95
    No, I had a finger slip ... a brainfade ... was doing two things at once. (Gawd, I can't believe I actually typed that.) Fixed it. Thanks for the poke in the ribs. Much appreciated.
    No Problem...I do understand.

I have the right to hide the fact that I have nothing to hide. I have the right to keep to myself that fact. Not guilty, not innocent, those things don't matter. I'm a free citizen who gives nothing away to authority. I yield to them what I am compelled by law to yield, but if they are out "Fishing" they can skip me as I'm going to hide the fact of "NOTHING" as much as "SOMETHING". I don't buy this pop culture "If you have nothing to hide...." philosophy. That is a fast way to sheepdom.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

Government,citizens rights,government officials,ah ha,another political word.Too many political words.This thread is too political and is there for not allowed.

P95
    While I understand and support every word of the Second and Fourth Amendments....I do see why at times the LEO's do what they do. We live in a "paranoid" world today. With innocent people being shot everyday by some whack job toting a gun. I OC and CC everyday. Never been ask for an ID by police...sure that day will come. I will simply show ID, and go my merry way. No harm....no foul...IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    While I understand and support every word of the Second and Fourth Amendments....I do see why at times the LEO's do what they do. We live in a "paranoid" world today. With innocent people being shot everyday by some whack job toting a gun. I OC and CC everyday. Never been ask for an ID by police...sure that day will come. I will simply show ID, and go my merry way. No harm....no foul...IMO.
    And no one here questions your right to do so.

Michael

Never talk to the Police ,,,,,, never, never,, "unless they give you immunity".
    You can never help yourself,,,, anything you say can only hurt,,,,, anything
    that would help ,,, WILL BE RULED AS HEARSAY. Watch the following video and see
    why.

open carry a gun don't talk to the cops - YouTube
    A few elitists shouldn't rule the many.
    Better to have a 380 in your pocket than a 45 at HOME.
    When seconds count, police are minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I often hear the argument that if a person has nothing to hide they should comply with any requests from government officials to be questioned or searched. Many of these same people complain that only bad guys have rights when they see someone exercising their rights in an attempt to avoid being convicted of a crime.

Would I be wrong to conclude that those expressing these views are against individual citizens having rights? In effect aren't they saying that since a honest citizen has nothing to hide that they have no need of any rights to protect them from a search or questioning?
    Then on the other side only criminals have a real need to hide anything and these rights assist them in getting away with their criminal activities?

This logic seems to say that we would be better off without these rights. After all a honest law abiding citizen has no need for these rights. Leaving criminals as the only ones to benefit from them.

Then we go to the question often asked of why, if you have done nothing wrong, are you making it hard on the Government by refusing their requests to search or question you. They never ask why the Government is interfering with my life when asking to do these things. Am I here to make life easier for the government or did we establish a government to make our lives better?

Michael
    Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself with twice as many words!
    Who's keeping secrets these days anyway?

Don't get me wrong. The intent of my post was not to question the Governments desire to search or question anyone they want to. That desire is completely reasonable from their view. It would make their job easier. It is a common sense approach from their view.

My question is with those private citizens who express the views I mentioned in my original post.
    I don't figure anyone here misunderstood your OP in any way.
    Simply put....what can we do now to change the way things are done?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links