Is CA Completely Nuts?

This is a discussion on Is CA Completely Nuts? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; HS will have to be elevated if used in the South. Otherwise some idiot in a logging truck would pull in front of it and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Is CA Completely Nuts?

mkh
    HS will have to be elevated if used in the South. Otherwise some idiot in a logging truck would pull in front of it and cause the mother of all derailments.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Legislature approves high-speed rail spending

The state is almost bankrupt and they want to spent 7-8 billion on 130 miles of track?
    How soon until the rest of the states will be required to help bail them out?

Legislature approves high-speed rail spending - SFGate

Sacramento --

A divided state Senate approved billions of dollars in funding to start construction on California's ambitious high-speed rail line Friday, handing the controversial project $7.9 billion in state and federal money for the first 130 miles of track and a series of local transit upgrades...
    You do know we here in Central Florida are doing pretty much the same thing with the commuter rail in progress and other high speed rails on the drawing board. They will end up having to be subsidized forever like the one in Miami.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Maybe they'll pass a leaving the state tax to fund the project. Any business or individual who wants to leave the state must pay a tax of 50% of gross value of all holdings to the state before they are allowed to leave.
    CA isn't alone. In fact wealth is starting to leave the US, too. I expect the feds will respond with draconian measures to keep us and our money on the plantation where they have access and control.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Time for a sing along folks!

Sometimes you feel like a nut, some times you don't, Kalifornia got nuts, Tennessee don't.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

This was a rhetorical question, right?

This is nuts? Want to see spending that's really nuts? Crazy insane spending that does NOTHING for Americas homeland. Take a look at the cost of the wars we've been involved in and then come back and tell me a rail system is expensive.

Cost of War to the United States | COSTOFWAR.COM
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

ah ... Californiya ... land of mud slides, forest fires, earthquakes and liberals. GOOD PLACE TO BE from.

sent from my sending device

Quote Originally Posted by tnlc9 View Post
    ah ... Californiya ... land of mud slides, forest fires, earthquakes and liberals. GOOD PLACE TO BE from.

sent from my sending device
    There's all of that plus a few squirrels and an occasional porcupine.

BTW...Governor Scott had funding for a high speed rail from Tampa to Orlando to then eventually continue to Miami. He refused the money. I guess the money is better spent in Afghanistan.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

It would make a lot more sense if the rail line ran straight out into the ocean. One way high speed gene pool reduction - reserved only for politicians, liberals, Nancy and Barbara.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Do we need a high speed rail from Tampa to Orlando? No! Whats the point? Unless you came to Florida by way of the Gulf of Mexico, you passed Orlando on your way to Tampa.

I understand the need for high-speed rail, but I question both the timing of the expenditure (you can't borrow your way out of debt, no matter what Keynes argued), and the location of the first 130-mile section. Why put it in an area of low ridership, and where established (and generally self-sufficient) agricultural enterprise will be disrupted?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    BTW...Governor Scott had funding for a high speed rail from Tampa to Orlando to then eventually continue to Miami. He refused the money. I guess the money is better spent in Afghanistan.
    Don't see the connection.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Come back and discuss it when they are talking about rail-guns, not high speed rail.

I don't know if they are completely nuts or not. I used the railroads when I was young, and would use them today
    over the plane--anytime--if they were high speed. The NE corridor needs huge improvements to its HS rail-- but the Acela
    is great. Downtown NYC to Philadelphia with no muss or fuss in about an hour.

The entire East Coast needs better HS from Boston to Miami. We could certainly use HS from San Antonio to the East Coast and to Chicago and even to Denver, Phoenix, and points west in CA and Washington.

What I find astounding is not the concept of HS rail but the estimated costs. OTOH, the airline industry is
    very heavily subsidized. Airlines don't build airports or maintain them; local governments do with lots and lots
    of Federal tax dollars to make it possible. Throw in all the bucks spent on ATC and air-transport is
    extremely subsidized by us all.

We had all the same complaints about cost when the Interstate was being considered, but hey, it was fine
    because it was for defense. OK. HS is for defense. Problem solved. Now its not crazy.
    I guess I could retrain to be a rail traffic controller. : )
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    "Is CA Completely Nuts"?

Yeah, pretty much.
    Ditto.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links