Is CA Completely Nuts?

This is a discussion on Is CA Completely Nuts? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by atctimmy I guess I could retrain to be a rail traffic controller. : ) Probably won't have to. Here's where I will ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Is CA Completely Nuts?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I guess I could retrain to be a rail traffic controller. : )
    Probably won't have to. Here's where I will agree with those who are "agin."

At Yahoo News has the following comment in an AP story
    California high-speed rail gets green light - Yahoo! News
    "The final cost of the completed project from Los Angeles to San Francisco is projected to be $68 billion."

If that is what 130 miles cost, you can't build very many miles even with the entirety of the 1.3 trillion noted in the
    website linked to in post 21 on the war costs.

So if those cost projections are real, it can't be done on a large enough scale to help achieve our overall nationwide transportation needs.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

I have a sneaking suspicion that there's something just not quite right about California. I just can't put my finger on it.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    No they are not nuts! This is by design!

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Is CA Completely Nuts? .
    No. A significant number of them are fruits.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    No they are not nuts! This is by design!
    As of last week, Stockton is the largest city ever to declare bankruptcy. Mammoth Lakes is next.
    Governor Brown says that the state government of California has budget deficit of $16B this year. The entire budget for the government of California is $142B. With California's credit rating the lowest of all 50 states, and no hope of improvement, it may soon be cost-prohibitive for California to borrow money it needs to stay solvent.
    However, Californians receive only .78 from the federal government for each dollar that Californians pay in federal tax. Resources and real solutions exist. But the looters are in cahoots, and they have us by the short hairs.
    Instead of real solutions, we have apparent political meltdown like we did with the TARP bailout. Hand wringing about how to "save us from the crisis". Instead of finding appropriate solutions and spending within our means, politicians create chaos and conflict for limited resources until there is such a fog, voters believe that they are locked in to just settle for a loss of their freedom, opportunity, and wealth to maintain the status quo. That's nuts.
    Rock and Glock and mprp like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

We need high speed rail to add to the target rich opportunities for mass carnage. One more target will completely overwhelm the terrorists decision making abilities and ensure homeland security for decades to come.

Just reading the heading I say yes. After reading the post....I say HECK YES! After all it is the Granola state. If you don't know why I call it that....PM me and I will tell you.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    No. A significant number of them are fruits.
    Don't forget the nuts and flakes. That is Granola State.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    You and I have to live within our means. Why can't the government figure it out?

Who is going to ride the train? How much is the fare? Where does it go? How much does the government subsidize each fare?

I am glad Scott Walker killed our half fast train from Milwaukee to Madison. Funny thing about the train here... most of the jobs that it created were out of the country. They were going to use a company from Spain to make the train. Not a local Milwaukee company. Something smells really funny about this deal in CA.
    There are a lot of bums we got to vote out of office!
    mprp and Spirit51 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    You and I have to live within our means. Why can't the government figure it out?

Who is going to ride the train? How much is the fare? Where does it go? How much does the government subsidize each fare?

I am glad Scott Walker killed our half fast train from Milwaukee to Madison. Funny thing about the train here... most of the jobs that it created were out of the country. They were going to use a company from Spain to make the train. Not a local Milwaukee company. Something smells really funny about this deal in CA.
    There are a lot of bums we got to vote out of office!
    Yet, if you managed to construct a HS rail starting in Minneapolis, traversing Rochester, LaCrosse, Madison, Milwaukee,
    and dropping down into Chicago, where it might connect with HS rail to NY, DC, Dallas, Denver, it would be a sure
    winner.

What makes no sense is the amount of money that gets spoken of to construct these things.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    If it started in Duluth, MN, and allowed carry, I'd ride it just to the IL border.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Dan Richard, chairman of the California High-Speed Rail Authority, which is managing the project, said California would have lost billions of dollars in federal aid if the Senate fails to pass the bill before adjourning Friday for a monthlong recess.
    They always forget that “federal aid” is money taken from all taxpayers and not just CA.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That's why we plan to move as soon as my wife can retire from her job...

VIP Member
    What makes no sense is the amount of money that gets spoken of to construct these things.
    There is the real question. Why is it so expensive? Answer: Someone is getting filthy rich from this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Of course this thing may or may not have been a good idea when the economy was good. I'm sure the planning has been around for a while. However, since then and up until now you would think that the skids would have been put on it due to the economy. You should hear the commercials about this thing and the attempt to make us believe that its a good idea. LOL what a crock! No brains I tell ya. I just smile and shake my head.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links