Forgot Your ID? The Bar Knows How Old You Are

This is a discussion on Forgot Your ID? The Bar Knows How Old You Are within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Forgot Your ID? The Bar Knows How Old You Are If you have a smartphone, you may have heard about the new app that lets ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Spirit51
  • 7 Post By Okemo

Thread: Forgot Your ID? The Bar Knows How Old You Are

If you have a smartphone, you may have heard about the new app that lets bar patrons scan people's faces when they walk in the door.

SceneTap, which came out this month, can scan your face and then guess your age and gender. So far, only about 25 bars in the San Francisco area are using it. But if you download the app and walk into one of the 25 bars, you can check your phone for real-time updates on how many people are at the bar. The app will tell you how old they are and how many men and women are there.

How does it work?

SceneTap's creators say they rely on advanced biometrics. Bars that use the app have cameras at their doors that take your photos. The software gets your photo and "maps your face on a grid." The app then uses an algorithm to match the dimensions on your face to a database that lists the average ages and genders of everyone else at the bar.

It sounds like a cool idea, but some people say it invades their privacy. In fact, some think it's just plain creepy.

SceneTap disagrees, arguing that it doesn't invade privacy because it doesn't record anyone's names or personal information.

It's not a completely new concept. Facebook has been using facial recognition to try to name who is photos. Apple also uses it on their iPhones.

So why does it make people nervous?

If you know the software is advanced enough to take your picture and tell your age and gender, how do you know it can't figure out your name, who you are or where you live?

Facial recognition isn't going away tomorrow. Over time, it will only become more advanced or transition into something totally new.

Social media has made facial recognition easier, Electronic Fronteir Foundation staff attorney Lee Tien told the Associated Press.

"Ten years ago if I walked down the street and took a picture of someone I didn't know, there was little I could do to find out who that person was," Tien told the AP. "Today it's a very different story."

Tien said facial recognition is like the computerized version of fingerprints.

Sound scary?

As technology advances and privacy concerns increase, what will happen next? Will we eventually become more comfortable with this kind of technology? Will our need for privacy decrease as time goes on?

In a few years, we probably even flinch when we think about facial recognition. We'll just accept it for what it is and feel nervous about the newest trend.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

VIP Member
    I don't look the same after a few.

I'm much younger.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Creepy, and probably not very accurate. Around here the bar ownes can get into lots of trouble
    if they serve someone who is underage. Typically, they have to check ID and also check that
    it isn't either fraudulent, or a real ID being carried by a different but similar looking person.

I don't think the App will satisfy the requirement here that age be verified... ya never know though; laws and
    attitudes and practices are always changing.

My final verdict--- creepy.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

P95
    Doesn't sound like it could be very accurate to me.

I won't worry until they want us to wear a tattoo of our birth date on our foreheads (like a expiration date). Then I will fight.
    msgt/ret and Inspector71 like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I swear your Honor, my smart phone app thought she was 18.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    I don't have a smart phone, I don't want a smart phone, I don't need a smart phone. Unfortunately, the wireless carriers are forcing the things down our throats. When I got my last phone, I had a hard time finding just a plain clam shell phone with camera. When I need my next one, they probably won't be available.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The technology is there and it's getting better. Stores are using it to track shoplifters in their database. When you see yourself on the flat screen overhead as you enter the store, the camera has "seen" you also, and if you're on the list, it has notified security that you are on the premises. Look for somebody to come up with a program to track sex offenders also.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

It's still a guess, and in many cases it'll still be inaccurate. Unless instant-carbon-dating or some other similar procedure can get down to the day, no automated method will be worth a simple ID check, IMO. Though, damned if I'll stick my finger into some socket just so somebody behind a counter can avoid checking an ID.

And to think we're here on a lovely Sunday morning grousing about such things. Ah, what a world. Pass the mustard.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    This reminds me of an incident from a few years back. My wife and I went out to dinner. At the time I think I was about 38 and my wife was 37. The waiter came to get our drink order and I ordered a beer and my wife ordered some strawberry-lemonade daquiri thing. The waiter then asked for her ID (? didn't ask for mine), which she had left at home and changed her order to soda. The attitude of the waiter irritated me and I told him to change my order to water. To give the waiter some credit, he had the chones to start arguing with me, but his argument was that unless you can show ID you can't order alcohol. I told him that I was not disputing that fact, but that I had every right to change my order and that if he wasn't going to serve my wife, that I was going to change my order. I think we went around this 3 or 4 times with him simply stating the right to card (clueless imbecile). Finally the manager came over and asked what the problem was and I explained it to him. He looked at my wife for a second, turned to the waiter and said, "it's ok, I'll take care of it", turned to my wife and said, "what was it you wanted maam?" We also got a different waiter without anything be said.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    This reminds me of an incident from a few years back. My wife and I went out to dinner. At the time I think I was about 38 and my wife was 37. The waiter came to get our drink order and I ordered a beer and my wife ordered some strawberry-lemonade daquiri thing. The waiter then asked for her ID (? didn't ask for mine), which she had left at home and changed her order to soda. The attitude of the waiter irritated me and I told him to change my order to water. To give the waiter some credit, he had the chones to start arguing with me, but his argument was that unless you can show ID you can't order alcohol. I told him that I was not disputing that fact, but that I had every right to change my order and that if he wasn't going to serve my wife, that I was going to change my order. I think we went around this 3 or 4 times with him simply stating the right to card (clueless imbecile). Finally the manager came over and asked what the problem was and I explained it to him. He looked at my wife for a second, turned to the waiter and said, "it's ok, I'll take care of it", turned to my wife and said, "what was it you wanted maam?" We also got a different waiter without anything be said.
    Sounds like the manager handled the situation to your satisfaction. That's the reason he's a manager.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

pretty cool what a low order device can do on the edge's of the data mass...State DMV have been selling photo and other "bio-metric" data for years...the new federally approved state drivers licence have facial req features. as well as..TWIC cards..DOD cards etc...on the edges, back and in the bar-code of your DL is placed information about you..I dont let check-out clerks scan my government isssued ID's...In my state if you are a registered visiter of the prison system they place your family and work information on your DL with another barcode...Im pretty sure they cant tell what I smell like, but I know they can tell if Ive had any radio-isotops lately....."they" dont need a number....

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    My wife and I don't drink at all. However, a few years ago we went into a restaurant a few years ago, and my wife was carded for ordering a Pepsi. Being the fat ugly guy I am, she didn’t card me, but carded my wife for a PEPSI! My wife didn’t have her ID on her since she couldn’t drive due to recent surgery and associated pain meds, so she didn’t bother to take it. (She was also tired of my cooking during her recovery, so we went out for dinner).

My wife just looked at the stupid waitress and said “what? Why do you need that?” The response (in the waitress’s thick accent, unsure where she was from) was “is law I need see ID for when drink ordered!” After trying to explain that a coke was not a “drink” but soda. She insisted (in thick accent still) and started to argue with us. Finally I asked for the manager and she made a snide comment and left. After a LONG time I got up and asked the hostess for the manager who promptly showed up. I explained what happened, and he made the comment that it was her first week, and he was fed up trying to teach her the differences in basic things. He took our order, served us during the entire meal, and when we got the check, he had written on it “compliments of the house with sincerest apologies”. I think the manager wanted to send that girl back to wherever she came from! We have visited several times since, and that waitress hasn’t been seen since.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    I swear your Honor, my smart phone app thought she was 18.
    hahaha. that would go over well!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

Anyone up for a group buy of Guy Faux masks?

And LOL Okemo.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Sponsored Links