Hold On To Your Hat! Examples of MIddle-Class Rents in New York: (AND THE OTHER SIDE)

Hold On To Your Hat! Examples of MIddle-Class Rents in New York: (AND THE OTHER SIDE)

This is a discussion on Hold On To Your Hat! Examples of MIddle-Class Rents in New York: (AND THE OTHER SIDE) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I spend periods in Manhattan and have lived there in the past. Such a period of 2-3 years was around 2005-2007. Too pricey for most, ...

Thread: Hold On To Your Hat! Examples of MIddle-Class Rents in New York: (AND THE OTHER SIDE)

I spend periods in Manhattan and have lived there in the past. Such a period of 2-3 years was around 2005-2007. Too pricey for most, especially temporary residents, to rent a whole apartment, but I found a real nice guy in a nice neighborhood, the Upper West Side of Manhattan, who was renting a bedroom, small like everything in a NYC apt but for only 1/3 rd of the rent I had use of the whole place. It had - as far as bedrooms - his which was fairly large by Manhattan standards + another room as his office - and then usual kitchen, living room, main bathroom (I had a half-bathroom in my room: no shower, but toilet, sink etc) You would call it a "nice apt" but by NYC standards for me it was a real find since rents in that area had been skyrocketing - though it used be be a nice, funky cheap area for artists, actors etc.

I left after becoming very good friends over a 2yr period with this man and had to return to my home city. A year later the man moved to a 1 bedroom in the same building. You know why:

His rent where we were living had gone up to $4300 a month.

Shortly after he vacated that apartment, the people who lived next to us also moved, a couple + 1 child - bigger apt. than ours was but not huge, and again "nice" no more. You know what the next tenants had to pay in rent for that middle-class apt.?

$8000 per month.

That would be your starting expense living there - before you even bought toilet paper. Actually, the first payment is more than $8000. Because landlords want first month + last month + a month's security deposit. So, these new tenants, to rent, had to put down $24000 for the first month.

I saw during that period a small Realty Company Office on the street while I was walking with a "SPECIAL!" posted on the window for a place a few blocks away - to buy, not rent - again, this was in the same nice neighborhood, but not 5th Avenue or Central Park West by any means. The SPECIAL: a studio (which is a one room apartment, only separate room is a very small bathroom, little bigger than a typical closet - and that's it. Mini-Stove and Fridge in one corner, convertible sofa in the "big" room. This was to buy, a co-op, and the "SPECIAL":

"400 Sq. FOOT STUDIO [one 20' by 20' room]: ONLY $400,000 !!!"

A few days later I walked by then what was the new the Time Warner Building in Columbus Circle and this was the opening night ceremony. I was on my way to do some regular volunteer-work I did then feeding the homeless out of vans that would go all over the City to per-arranged gathering places the homeless would line up in for food. Long lines. An orange, some fatty soup (they needed it), a sandwich, and a drink of juice we would hand out to each one. I loved doing this work.

The opening night of the Time Warner Building was just beginning as I passed by to get to my subway, fabulously wealthy people dropped off in chauffeur-driven limousines, Mercedes, Rolls, Bentleys, the woman replete with full length fur coats.

Above all the stores and offices in the Time-Warner glass skyscraper is a few very exclusive penthouses - with one considered the chief penthouse, not yet sold at opening time.

After I passed the celebration, I stopped in an HSBC cash machine, in the now closed entrance to the bank, before I went to the homeless organization. As I walked in, I saw a homeless woman curled up in a fetal position and lost in the oblivion of sleep - the only peace available to her - she was on the floor in the corner. I let her sleep on and get away from the cold at least this one time as I took my cash and left.

I learned the next day that very luckily that chief penthouse in the Time-Warner building had been bought (again this was 2006) - for $45,000,000 dollars.

Sure, but these are Yankees, right? I mean, aren't they of superior intellect and therefore earning potential? I gather this because so many of them come down here and tell me how wonderful they were back home and how awful it is here. "If I was bick in Min-hitten I'd be making way moo-ah than this crummy dump pays me!", they whine in their awful Yankee accent to no one in particular since no one can stand the sight of them or the sound of their whiny, high-pitched shrill of a voice. So look much further to find someone who GAF!

But seriously, I think this thread shows why we get stuck with so many of them down here.

Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    Sure, but these are Yankees, right? I mean, aren't they of superior intellect and therefore earning potential? I gather this because so many of them come down here and tell me how wonderful they were back home and how awful it is here. "If I was bick in Min-hitten I'd be making way moo-ah than this crummy dump pays me!", they whine in their awful Yankee accent to no one in particular since no one can stand the sight of them or the sound of their whiny, high-pitched shrill of a voice. So look much further to find someone who GAF!

But seriously, I think this thread shows why we get stuck with so many of them down here.
    I'm a Yankee, the one who fed the homeless.

VIP Member
    I guess I am not middle class ( thats my total cost of living for six months or more)

Links