Indy Trading Post, part two

This is a discussion on Indy Trading Post, part two within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After the initial blow up of what happened on a visit to this gun shop, I posted what happened and my reaction. Brief summary, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Indy Trading Post, part two

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

After the initial blow up of what happened on a visit to this gun shop, I posted what happened and my reaction. Brief summary, I went in, asked a question about blanks for my grandma, and got laughed out of the shop. I have been apologized too several times by two of the employees who were involved, they explained that they misread the tone of my voice when I came in and that they were very sorry. As part of the apology, I was allowed some free range time. They didn't have to do that, the apology was enough. Long story short, things were set right and I was a happy customer again. However, last week, things changed. I am no longer a happy customer, I am a happy employee. I am now officially a gun dealer as of my first day today and I completed my first transaction today as a dealer and not just a seller. Got the 4473 out, had the customer fill it out, got em approved and listened to the reaction he got when he fired it for the first time on our range. Not a better feeling in the world than having someone tell me that they now feel safer that they have a gun to protect themselves with that I sold them. Now I'm hooked. Any advice to give a new gun store employee?
    darbo and Badey like this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Yes - per Clint Smith's experience, watch those muzzles when the customers handle guns!
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Had a guy just whip out his loaded Glock on me today too, swept me and everything as he unloaded it in the store.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Good luck with new job.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

VIP Member
    My advice is to not make your hobby into your profession.

I'd keep job hunting.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    My advice is to not make your hobby into your profession. I'd keep job hunting.
    The old saying goes “Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work a day in your life”
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

Not exactly a profession, I give my time, he gives me guns/ammo that are bought on store credit. I earn the store credit by selling guns. In exchange for the work done for him, he gives free range time, free gun rental, 25 percent discount on everything but guns, dealer pricing on guns, and 5 bucks store credit per gun sold. So I'm doing it to help finance my addiction. In exchange, they do not set up a schedule, they do not tell you when to come and go, and they do not tell you what to do with your time while you are there. So I don't deal with the register, I don't deal with the range payment and set ups, I don't deal with the ATF. I help people pick em out, help em with the paperwork and hand em over to the guy at the register.

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like a great gig to me.

When dealing with people that arent aware of the rules, be polite, be firm and be safe.
    You dont have to be a jerk about it, just make them understand that there is no tolerance when it comes to safety.
    Good communication skills is the key here.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Not exactly a profession, I give my time, he gives me guns/ammo that are bought on store credit. I earn the store credit by selling guns. In exchange for the work done for him, he gives free range time, free gun rental, 25 percent discount on everything but guns, dealer pricing on guns, and 5 bucks store credit per gun sold. So I'm doing it to help finance my addiction. In exchange, they do not set up a schedule, they do not tell you when to come and go, and they do not tell you what to do with your time while you are there. So I don't deal with the register, I don't deal with the range payment and set ups, I don't deal with the ATF. I help people pick em out, help em with the paperwork and hand em over to the guy at the register.
    I hope it works out for you.

I played paintball for years as a teen/young adult. I was good enough to move up higher and higher in competition until one day I was at the top end of the game. It wasn't too long after I started getting sponsors and paychecks that paintball stopped being fun for me. When you HAVE to be there it stops being a hobby.

Just remember to enjoy it and if you stop enjoying it then it's time to get out.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    After the initial blow up of what happened on a visit to this gun shop, I posted what happened and my reaction. Brief summary, I went in, asked a question about blanks for my grandma, and got laughed out of the shop. I have been apologized too several times by two of the employees who were involved, they explained that they misread the tone of my voice when I came in and that they were very sorry. As part of the apology, I was allowed some free range time. They didn't have to do that, the apology was enough. Long story short, things were set right and I was a happy customer again. However, last week, things changed. I am no longer a happy customer, I am a happy employee. I am now officially a gun dealer as of my first day today and I completed my first transaction today as a dealer and not just a seller. Got the 4473 out, had the customer fill it out, got em approved and listened to the reaction he got when he fired it for the first time on our range. Not a better feeling in the world than having someone tell me that they now feel safer that they have a gun to protect themselves with that I sold them. Now I'm hooked. Any advice to give a new gun store employee?
    Never lose sight of how you want to be treated, and remember to treat each and every customer that way. I know it is difficult. I worked retail sales and many times customers need slapped up along side the head.
    phreddy likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Make sure your paycheck makes it to the bank:)

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Never lose sight of how you want to be treated, and remember to treat each and every customer that way. I know it is difficult. I worked retail sales and many times customers need slapped up along side the head.
    I worked retail before selling furniture. I'll never forget the time I had a big deal working, but the customers (husband and wife) were being very difficult with lots of strange requests/changes/options/issues. The owner summoned me over and said "Go fire those customers". I was stunned with such a big deal working. He said, "they're going to be nothing but trouble for you, me, the delivery guys, everyone. They're never going to be happy and will just badmouth our store to everyone they know. Go over there and tell them everything comes "as is", no discounts, no substitutions. Give them your card and then go help someone else". I did, and they got a hold of the floor manager who quietly listened to them complain for 15 minutes. Then he politely said "Thank you", gave them his card, and walked away. In today's retail world where 99.9% of customers are always right, I really liked working for a store that could fire a customer.

When somebody comes in looking for blanks for their Grandma....don't laugh
    mprp, JoeK and daveb413 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Indy Trading Post? Is this that place on Madison Ave? If so I went in there once or twice when we lived there. I didn't like the hand cranked target pulley system. I think they said something about a new range at some point. Did that ever happen?

All in all, you could surely do worse in Indianapolis. You could be working at Don's Guns! I liked Pop Guns over on the East side, on Washington I think.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Never lose sight of how you want to be treated, and remember to treat each and every customer that way.
    I've come across a quite a few LEOs in my area that could really take a lesson from you.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links