Sending 'Bullets' through the mail.

This is a discussion on Sending 'Bullets' through the mail. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; An article about sending shipping guns reminded me of something that happened a few years back to me. I had cast up some bullets and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sending 'Bullets' through the mail.

Sending 'Bullets' through the mail.

An article about sending shipping guns reminded me of something that happened a few years back to me. I had cast up some bullets and was going to send a box of them to a friend to try out in his reloads. I was using an old Styrofoam cartridge box so that the bullets would be in perfect shape when they arrived. These were 550 gr cast rifle bullets so they fit perfect in the old 45 acp box.

When I go to the desk to purchase the postage the Postmaster lady asked me if they were bullets. When I replied yes she schooled me on how it was illegal to ship bullets through the Post Office. I told her that her carriers had delivered many thousands of bullets to my home over the years with no problem. I then told her that the restrictions only apply to loaded ammunition and not the components such as the bullet. She could not understand the difference between a bullet and loaded ammunition.

Next time I shipped bullets I packaged them differently and was ready to lie if need be. Sometimes they need to illustrate the manuals these folks read. Maybe a picture of a bullet and a picture of loaded ammunition.

Michael

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    An article about sending shipping guns reminded me of something that happened a few years back to me. I had cast up some bullets and was going to send a box of them to a friend to try out in his reloads. I was using an old Styrofoam cartridge box so that the bullets would be in perfect shape when they arrived. These were 550 gr cast rifle bullets so they fit perfect in the old 45 acp box.

When I go to the desk to purchase the postage the Postmaster lady asked me if they were bullets. When I replied yes she schooled me on how it was illegal to ship bullets through the Post Office. I told her that her carriers had delivered many thousands of bullets to my home over the years with no problem. I then told her that the restrictions only apply to loaded ammunition and not the components such as the bullet. She could not understand the difference between a bullet and loaded ammunition.

Next time I shipped bullets I packaged them differently and was ready to lie if need be. Sometimes they need to illustrate the manuals these folks read. Maybe a picture of a bullet and a picture of loaded ammunition.

Michael
    Frustrating at best. I have never had that happen, but thanks for posting, good food for thought and a way to avoid an irritable situation.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    Lead pellets Michael. That's what you shipped. Lead pellets; they are going to a friend who works with
    stained glass.
    mlr1m likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I don't know that I would tell them lead pellets. Someone will get the boxers in a twist because you are shipping toxic materials.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Uhh .. I order ammo offline and get it shipped to me. I've also sent it in the mail as well.

Shipping ammunition via the USPS is not allowed. If they happen to x-ray your package somewhere down the line I am sure you will have the postal inspectors knocking on your door.

See section 601.8.5d
    http://pe.usps.com/archive/pdf/dmmar...080512/601.pdf
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    I don't know that I would tell them lead pellets. Someone will get the boxers in a twist because you are shipping toxic materials.
    Base metal for manufacturing costume jewelry.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Ammunition is different than bullets. Magazines are different than clips. US Postal service is different from UPS, FEDEX, etc..

Welcome to the forum BMNBMN, your first post please introduce yourself in the new member area.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    projectiles not bullets as they are inert.

Distinguished Member
    Metal slugs.

VIP Member
    Crimestopper safety inserts

You cannot bring guns, ammo, explosives, or dangerous weapons onto/into USPS property.

UPS or Fedex can ship these items, but you must declare them. Ammo needs an ORMD sticker; primers and powder need a hasmat label.

When UPS and Fedex merge, we'll call it FEDUP.
    mprp likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Crimestopper safety inserts

You cannot bring guns, ammo, explosives, or dangerous weapons onto/into USPS property.

UPS or Fedex can ship these items, but you must declare them. Ammo needs an ORMD sticker; primers and powder need a hasmat label.

When UPS and Fedex merge, we'll call it FEDUP.

I used to work for the USPS. One day a box split open and a bunch of Cartridges spilled out on the floor.

I took about 5 minutes for the Postal Inspection Service to quarentine the area and start looking at who shipped them and who was receiving them.

I'll bet a months pension both partys were in jail before the day ended.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    projectiles not bullets as they are inert.
    They are bullets. Bullets are used as projectiles. Not all projectiles are bullets though.

Michael

VIP Member
    You could have always told her it was depleted uranium, that would explain the weight!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links