The Glock survived some serious mud Sunday

This is a discussion on The Glock survived some serious mud Sunday within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Now that I have a new career going pretty well, one that comes with a company supplied vehicle, my beloved old '94 Jeep Cherokee isn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The Glock survived some serious mud Sunday

Now that I have a new career going pretty well, one that comes with a company supplied vehicle, my beloved old '94 Jeep Cherokee isn't the daily driver anymore. I still drive it as much as I can because to be honest, I just love the damn thing that I love to drive it. But, since it isn't the car I drive to work anymore, I have had time to do a few things to it that I always wanted to but wasn't able because I needed it drivable and not in the garage with various parts removed. So I have improved its off road capabilities and added a few little things here and there.

This last week we had a good bit of rain here in West Tennessee. Me and 2 other friends who also have Cherokees and one friend who has a Wrangler (poor guy) went wheeling Sunday afternoon. We found plenty of mud and a good bit of standing water to have fun in. It's going to be a few days before Pathkiller (my Cherokee's name, named after a Cherokee Chief) is dry inside.

The buddy with the Wrangler got stuck, of course, and we pulled him out. I waded into the muck to hook a tow cable to his Wrangler so we could pull him out with Matt's wench. At the time, I was carrying the Glock 23 in an OWB Kydex holster as I usually am when I'm wheeling. When I say I got muddy, I am not saying I just got a little mud on me. I was covered friends. Didn't even worry about the Glock. When Matt pointed out that the G23 was pretty well caked with mud, I did find an area of "clear" water and dunked it and washed as much mud off/out of it as possible. Function checked it and all was well.

Got home and took off everything in the garage, threw some coveralls on and took the muddy clothes and the Glock out to the back yard and hosed everything off. Clothes went into the washer and the Glock got detail stripped and cleaned real well. Good as new.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hey now, I've hit some pretty thick muck with my Wrangler and never gotten stuck. Good to hear the Glock is still running nicely though.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Matt's lady friend must be strong!

Bazinga!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member
    What is "function check"? I prob should know but don't. It would of been cool to dunk it and pop off a few rounds, I thought you were going that way in the story. I have wanted to put a few of mine through that test just to see how they do. Dunk em in a puddle, pull em out and shoot - sounds like a good fun test to me.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I used to have a CJ-7, wish I would have never let it go. Going where cars don't go is fun. I have a friend who turned a Cherokee into a rock crawler, looks like hell but it works.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I had a bad experience with a Cherokee. I might have got a lemon, but I'm soured on them. I MIGHT consider a Wrangler at some point down the road, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I'll stick with my Chevy Silverado 2500 for my muddin'. Trucks are better than Jeeps anyway.

Oh, and of course the Glock was fine! You could have dropped it into the bottom of the mud pit and drove over it a few times, and it still wouldn't malfunction. It's a Glock.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

VIP Member
    Not nearly as cool but I sunk my 4 wheeler in a mud hole today. I'll bet I looked a little like you did in the "covered in mud" department.

I had to go get the tractor to pull it out, it was really in there. Normally I would have just ripped it out by hand but my back aint what it should be right now.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I had a 1988 Dodge Ramcharger and I went Mudding one day that I went thru a mud puddle so deep that I had mud water running out the air conditioner ducts. I had to park the truck on a hill and open the rear door and I stood there watching the water run thru the truck.
    atctimmy likes this.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    It'll take a lot more that some mud to stop your Glock. ;)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Cleaned it?!?!?!?! You should have shot a few mags through it THEN cleaned it!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Hell, that just a little mud, they are expected to withstand that and more.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

'Sounds like a good Lee Ermey story for Glock.

"He just shook that sucker off and shot it"

I love your story Mike I"m a Glock fan and It made me smile.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    What is "function check"? I prob should know but don't. It would of been cool to dunk it and pop off a few rounds, I thought you were going that way in the story. I have wanted to put a few of mine through that test just to see how they do. Dunk em in a puddle, pull em out and shoot - sounds like a good fun test to me.
    To me, function check was, I basic stripped it, made sure the barrel wasn't clogged, the innards weren't caked with mud. Put it back together and hand cycled the slid several times. Inserted mag and sling shot the first round into the chamber. I would have fired it a couple of times but didn't want to alarm the folks who own the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    I had a bad experience with a Cherokee. I might have got a lemon, but I'm soured on them. I MIGHT consider a Wrangler at some point down the road, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I'll stick with my Chevy Silverado 2500 for my muddin'. Trucks are better than Jeeps anyway.

Oh, and of course the Glock was fine! You could have dropped it into the bottom of the mud pit and drove over it a few times, and it still wouldn't malfunction. It's a Glock.
    You definitely got a lemon. The Cherokee is the single best off road platform that has ever been mass produced. Period.
    atctimmy likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I've never been muddin on purpose, but I've been around plenty of stuff stuck in the mud, pond, ditch, stump, rising flood water, etc. I haven't ever abandoned anything, but it has been close.

I'm glad the glock worked, and one would sort of expect it to.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links