4 yr old shoots herself with Daddy's pistol

This is a discussion on 4 yr old shoots herself with Daddy's pistol within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man, you can fix or legislate stupid. Detroit girl, 4, shoots self with father's gun...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Hiram25
  • 4 Post By blitzburgh
  • 1 Post By Ionracas

Thread: 4 yr old shoots herself with Daddy's pistol

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

Man, you can fix or legislate stupid.

Detroit girl, 4, shoots self with father's gun
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Tragic and utterly avoidable. This is the type of stuff that Sarah Brady harps about.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

not very smart to leave a hand gun in a car much less an unlocked car

Tragic. Prayers to the family.

If he's going to leave it in the vehicle, he should get a safe. He should be arrested, for being stupid, I am happy that the little girl will get another chance at life.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

While 4yrs old is a bit young to really have the message "stick" in all cases, I'm betting that gunproofing training had not yet begun in that house. Unknown if the car was unlocked, glove box was unlocked, keys were accessible. The gun obviously was. Whatever else is true, it's a situation that should not have happened. Sad.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    not very smart to leave a hand gun in a car much less an unlocked car
    ... or your 4 year old. What the hell is a kid doing in the car around midnight anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    ... or your 4 year old. What the hell is a kid doing in the car around midnight anyways?
    My feelings exactly unless she was getting picked up by from a baby sitter,even then who leaves a 4 year old alone in a car.This is why I hate off person carry,unless the gun is on your person you normally don't have 100% control of that firearm,when people leave guns in glove boxes or center consoles they tend to forget they are there.IMHO CHARGES SHOULD BE FILED
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Kid and gun alone in car seems to be a common setting for tragedy. I don't even begin to understand those people. My 4 year old knows what a gun is and not to touch it but I'm not about to bet her life on the assumption that she wouldn't break that rule. I leave her alone in the car for brief periods in the driveway. Usually because I forgot something in the house. But a gun is never left in the car unless it's in the safe, kid or no kid. I have a goal to never have my guns played with by children or stolen and put in the hands of a thug.

so i was under the understanding that if your gun is out of your possession, even with a carry permit, it should be locked and stored in accordance with state (or federal) law. so...wasn't this guy breaking the law by leaving a loaded weapon in an unlocked container (glovebox, which isn't even considered a case by the courts)?
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    While 4yrs old is a bit young to really have the message "stick" in all cases, I'm betting that gunproofing training had not yet begun in that house. Unknown if the car was unlocked, glove box was unlocked, keys were accessible. The gun obviously was. Whatever else is true, it's a situation that should not have happened. Sad.
    I was started at 3. My Dad took me to a range and blew up watermelons with his .357. Didn't give me hearing protection or anything. REALLY made the point. I knew what a gun could do and never felt the need to mess with one without my Dad around. As I got older I got to shoot that very same .357 and it was left with me several times when my parent's went out of town and I stayed home alone. Teach them to respect guns, not fear them, and you'd be surprised at how sensible a small child could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    I was started at 3. My Dad took me to a range and blew up watermelons with his .357. Didn't give me hearing protection or anything. REALLY made the point. I knew what a gun could do and never felt the need to mess with one without my Dad around. As I got older I got to shoot that very same .357 and it was left with me several times when my parent's went out of town and I stayed home alone. Teach them to respect guns, not fear them, and you'd be surprised at how sensible a small child could be.
    Good parenting would have kept her safe. My grand daughters both got their youth rifles (Davy Cricket) at the age of 4, education, experience and supervision has kept them safe. They are now 8 and 11 with no accidents.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Angry

Im willing to overlook some levels of stupidity. 10 years in EMS and I feel I kind of have to in order to treat all of my patients equaly. But HOW, HOW can anyone be so irresponsible with firearms and children?

I used to work security and emergency services for a major drug company and the guy that once worked opposite of my shift had one of these incidents. He left his personal gun on the nightstand and took a nap. Thier little one fataly shot herself in the head. I think she was about 4 or 5. Anyways, what I thought was worse is the media and locals were playing it off like he and his wife were the victims; "I feel so terrible for the parents," "We're praying for the family," "They are such good, responsible people."

Correct me if Im wrong but responsible people dont leave loaded guns in reach of unattended children. Not to mention the guy was a major tool and we had investigated and fired him for stealing company property.

I have no pitty for anyone whose negligence leads to harming a child.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

sgb
    Glad the little girl is going to be OK. Dad needs his rear kicked.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Sponsored Links