Dog owners beware

Dog owners beware

This is a discussion on Dog owners beware within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is waaaay off topic... but many of us here have dogs... If you have used Frontline to good effect... but find that your vet ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Dog owners beware

Dog owners beware

This is waaaay off topic... but many of us here have dogs...

If you have used Frontline to good effect... but find that your vet or someone else is now recommending certifect... don't switch... it's made by the same folks that make frontline... but is supposedly... ahem... "better" it isn't, at least not for my dog...

this is his second application... his first was fine... this time he has all the listed side effects, and other reported side effects by some owners.

Slobbering... some... no bowel movement for 2 days... still has appetite. Very lethargic... (he's older and has hip displasia anyway)... but this is much more pronounced.

A little of the "spinnies" (definition:back in the day when we drank more than we should, and the room would spin when you laid down on the bed, and you put your foot off the side of the bed to the floor to stop the world from spinning... that's the spinnies)... He can't seem to turn a corner well without adjusting for the "skew."

Will go out to urinate but then will lay down and wait for me and the other dog to come in and then have to coax him up into the house where it's air conditioned...

splays out on the floor like some dogs do to get cool... but this dog never does that...

eyes somewhat dilated...

I have called the vet and per instruction, have given him some milk (to "loosen him up"). And a benadryl, A good histamine/allergy blocker... (but will increase the lethargy, I know). And I have washed the stuff off as best I can... with dawn and basic H...

frontline=good frontline plus = good

Certifect... not so much...

My other dog is not having problems with it.. but she is much younger... and even she's a bit lazier....

If it works for you, great... I just won't use it again...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

The active ingredient in frontline is fipronil and plus also has methoprene. I looked online and it shows the same for certifect.

Some breeds or particular dogs are more sensitive, I probably would not try frontline with your dog that has these symptoms.

Good info. Thanks for posting. I never trusted Frontline, and it truly didn't seem to work very well anyway. And I never trusted all those shots that the vet gave to my Black Lab in his left shoulder, which is right where he ended up developing a fatal cancer (may he R.I.P.).

This forum could actually use a dog-related sub-forum. Virtually all of us have (or love) dogs. And let's face it - besides being great companions, dogs are also an integral part of a well-rounded home defensive plan.

-
    surefire7 likes this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I don't put ANY of those kind of flea/tick preventatives on my dog for just such reactions and worse. I'm just careful about keeping an eye on my dog, checking her and bathing her regularly. I've tried 3 different brands and all 3 resulted in BAD side effects.
    Effects I've witnessed include but not limited to:
    • unable to walk straight/running into doors/walls,
    • anger/rage/destructive dog behavior(ie hair raised, growling, and about to attack ME ...the OWNER),
    • bowel movement issues,
    • constantly trying to run her head,neck, back on anything solid in what seemed like some sort of attempt to get the chemicals off of her.

In every case, most of the symptoms went away within minutes after bathing the dog thoroughly in an attempt to remove said chemicals applied. In each case the dog welcomed the bath(as in she jumped right in the tub), and she doesn't like to get baths!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    We use advantage for our dog and cats
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Thanks for the info!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

We have used Comfortis on our Sheperds for about a year,at first they had dry skin scratchies,but then it cleared ,and that is all we use now+a regular bath.

I've got a new addition to the family. Got her last week. She's an 11 week old German Shepherd. (Gotta add a couple pictures...one playing, and the other doing her best impression of a Senator.

The amount of info out there regarding the shots, flea / tick preventatives etc is overwhelming. I'm glad you shared some real world experience. And a big plus one for the dog sub-forum!! That would be a great addition. Thanks again for the info!
    Guest1 and mano3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The active ingredient in frontline is fipronil and plus also has methoprene. I looked online and it shows the same for certifect.

Some breeds or particular dogs are more sensitive, I probably would not try frontline with your dog that has these symptoms.
    I think it's the addition of AMITRAZ to the active ingredient's in the Certifect that is causing the symptoms... Frontline and frontline plus do not have it....
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Thanks for the info Amitraz is used in the collars and in dip.

I use Advantex II on my Golden Retreiver, and have had no problems whatsoever.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Revolution is the only thing that works on our dogs here in Alabama. These redneck fleas are tough!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

VIP Member
    We use Frontline and have for over 10 years. It works and has caused no issues for our dog.

We also have used Deramaxx for years. Due to the issues in the Novartis plant, we had to switch to Novox. Less than 90 days later she is in the early stages of renal failure. I would urge anyone whose pet is on antinflamatory arthritis meds and has been switched to Novox to get a renal baseline blood test and monitor it closely. We can't say for sure that Novox caused the issue, but I believe it did.

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Revolution is the only thing that works on our dogs here in Alabama. These redneck fleas are tough!
    That's funny, I worked at a Vet clinic and revolution was not as good as frontline for us. But it was a close 2nd at least.

For the record we use comfortis, been working great for 2 years now.

Administrator
    I have posted this on DC before. Frontline does not kill fleas and ticks when they come in contact with it on your pets skin.

The frontline is absorbed into your pets bloodstream via the skin. The fleas and ticks are killed when they bite your pet and the frontline in your pets blood is what kills them.

I use the cedarcide (cedar oil) spray on my dog because she has some medical problems and the Frontline would do her in.

The cedar oil is a natural product. It works extremely well. Do not use pure concentrated cedar oil on your pet it would be too concentrated and irritating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links