Voted today and look what I saw on the door

This is a discussion on Voted today and look what I saw on the door within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Our state legislature passed a voter ID law but the governor vetoed it and it was one of the few the legislature did not override. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Voted today and look what I saw on the door

VIP Member
    Our state legislature passed a voter ID law but the governor vetoed it and it was one of the few the legislature did not override. Very sad turnout today went to vote at 3:30 pm and was only number 24 to vote. It’s no wonder we have the government we have with such voter apathy.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Could it be that illegals(Whatever ethnicity) could have a College I.D.,but not a D.L.,B.C.,we have enough outside influence on our elections as it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Not allowing a college photo ID is designed to not allow college students the right to vote and is unconstitutional.
    TN_Mike likes this.

I work election polls here in West Virginia and Voters MUST be registered and show up in our Poll Books. If there is ANY question a voter is illegal, we have the right to ask for proper identification and they must provide it. They are shown a list of ID forms.

If they refuse, they can still vote, but it will be a "Provisional Ballot" that will be assessed at the "Board of Canvas" after the Polls have closed for the election. We do not or cannot turn down anyone to vote unless the Polls have officially closed, and someone wanders in and want to vote. It happend in the last Primary election that I worked, guy shows up 15 minutes after the polls closed and we were packing stuff up. We had to turn him away, and he laughed and said "well, see you at the next one on time hopefully."

Having to show ID when voting is not to deter that person from voting, or to stop and or prevent them from voting, it is meant to stop the fraud when voting. We want legitimate voters only. Fraudulent ones hurt the voting process and we do our best to narrow it down.

I am glad to see that TN has made it a requirement, wish other states would do the same.
    kb2wji, Ransom, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I can't tell if you're serious or not.

College IDs are too easy to fake. Mine is nothing more than my picture, my name, and some artwork of our oldest building with "West Virginia University" over it and STUDENT on the side. Anyone with Photoshop and a card printer could make one.

One citizen, one vote.
    There is a serious issue here. College students are supposed to be able to vote where they go to school, not where their parents live. By insisting that they have a DL (which most likely is where they came from) the students are disenfranchised as it is
    actually not legal for them to vote where their former home was.

About 10 years back we had quite a problem here with one county DA who was systematically excluding students who attended
    Prairie View A&M from voting; he lost.

All of you who are so favorably inclined toward ID laws, be careful what you wish for. These are a disaster coming our way.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    There is a serious issue here. College students are supposed to be able to vote where they go to school, not where their parents live. By insisting that they have a DL (which most likely is where they came from) the students are disenfranchised as it is
    actually not legal for them to vote where their former home was.

About 10 years back we had quite a problem here with one county DA who was systematically excluding students who attended
    Prairie View A&M from voting; he lost.

All of you who are so favorably inclined toward ID laws, be careful what you wish for. These are a disaster coming our way.
    Hop, think you missed the point.

Many voters who are registered to vote in a state and may be elsewhere during an election can request,recieve and submit an "Absentee Ballot." That would apply to students in a University as well. My state (West Virginia) allows it and I would be fairly certain other states as well. So to say "they are disenfranchised"when trying to vote out of the area they are registered is quite frankly a large load of BS. Nobody wants to see eligible people denied a vote, but do it according to the laws and statutes concerning it and don't show up and attempt to vote fraudulently.

This "topic" has come up before and you have stated the same "reasons" why you are against ID when voting so I won't keep beating on the subject, but stopping the voter fraud is what it's about, not trying to take away a persons eligibility to do it.
    msgt/ret, atctimmy, l1a1 and 1 others like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I need an ID to write a check. I need an ID to buy booze. I need an ID to get on an airplane. I need an ID to get into most office buildings so as to get a visitor pass. I need an ID to purchase a firearm. I need an ID to get a valid driver's license. So when it comes time to vote, people get all up in arms about showing an ID? "we are being disenfranchised". State issued ID's are available easily even if you do not drive. The only reason to not want to verify that voters are citizens and residents of their precinct is to get illegal voting. It's like my radar detector-I don't have it to go under the speed limit. I have it 'cause I like to go fast. Simple.

But the issue of a college ID is as noted above, they are not verified and not considered adaquate ID in most instances, including purchasing alcohol in most places.

As to using my CC permit as ID, it is OK, although the other day at the airport I handed it to the TSA agent instead of my DL (didn't have glasses on). She asks me if I have a gun? I said no, why would I? She told me since I gave her my permit. We both had a good laugh and a few words on getting old and blind. DOH!
    TN_Mike likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

"College IDs are too easy to fake." Driver's licenses maybe not so much... but.... are the poll watchers trained to spot a fake? sorry, guys.... I don't really like voter ID....

"Has to be a Government ID." Really? How bout we just tattoo the number 666 on your forehead or hand... You know, just so we know you're legit....

or

How about an RFID chip in your arm from birth..? If you're "born in the USA," you get a chip... free! from your ol' Uncle Sam...

Nope... they ask me my name at the polling station.... If I'm on the list of registered voters in my county, I get a ballot... If I'm on the list but my name is crossed off.... they can ask for ID... then they have a problem... who was the other guy... and which ballot is his..?

When you get older... lots older... and you can't get a DL any more... whatcha gonna do? Oh, I know the state will issue an ID very similar to a DL... but you're old... and you can't drive to the county seat and get your picture took... So who's gonna take you?

Voter ID disenfranchises potential legal voters... that is the reason I don't like it... I don't have a perfect solution... other than the RFID chip... and I don't think any of us wants to go THERE
    Hopyard likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Trained to spot a fake? Probably not. Maybe. I dont know. I do know that they know what a DL looks like. I highly doubt they know what all college ID's look like. Or feel like. I can print out a college ID in about 3 minutes. Probably about impossible to know its a fake (afterall most are just plain white ID cards with a school name and your photo) State issue ID's have security features that are very tough to fake. A poll watcher may not be able to spot a good fake, but lets face it, they would come across far less fake state ID's than college ID's. Also, if I were to show up, give my name, and find that someone else used my name? I would be pretty peeved. I'm sure it would mean a big waste of time, forms to fill out, hoops to jump through, and binary quadratic equations to solve. It would not be easy to rectify im sure. I'm all for having a state / fed issue ID. You need ID to rent a movie, drive a car, and write a check. I dont see the hassle in needing one to choose a president. It's a far cry from an RFID chip.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I understand the concern. But, in any system somebody gets the short end of the stick. I would rather have a small # of people not vote than large numbers of improper/illegal votes. But then, I lived in Chicago for 30 years and I understand voter fraud. I personally think everyone should get the most verified, best ID available-a passport. There is no better ID than that. Good for ten years, get a picture at Walgreens and get the form at the post office. 30 bucks and you are good to go.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Not allowing a college photo ID is designed to not allow college students the right to vote and is unconstitutional.
    Actually they are able to vote, go back and read the last line in the sign. They are not being denied their right to vote, so how is it unconstitutional?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Hop, think you missed the point.

Many voters who are registered to vote in a state and may be elsewhere during an election can request,recieve and submit an "Absentee Ballot." That would apply to students in a University as well. My state (West Virginia) allows it and I would be fairly certain other states as well. So to say "they are disenfranchised"when trying to vote out of the area they are registered is quite frankly a large load of BS. Nobody wants to see eligible people denied a vote, but do it according to the laws and statutes concerning it and don't show up and attempt to vote fraudulently.

This "topic" has come up before and you have stated the same "reasons" why you are against ID when voting so I won't keep beating on the subject, but stopping the voter fraud is what it's about, not trying to take away a persons eligibility to do it.
    No, you missed my point. College student may vote where they are going to school. They don't necessarily need
    to change the address on their DL. These are different issues.

Several years ago the DA at the county south of here attempted to bar students
    from voting; the state AG ruled they had the right to vote where they were attending school.

Keep up the cheering for Papers Please and sooner or later we will all regret it.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Moderator
    I must mention that most voter fraud is not done on the individual level, but by "officals" at the local and county level.

Take 2008 and look at Perry County Alabama which had 1,114, cast absentee ballots, a percentage that is six times the state average, take Jefferson County, which includes Birmingham and has 60 times Perry County’s population of 10,600, there were 365 absentee ballots. These ballots did not have votes for Fedearl offices (those were left blank) but merely county postions.

I am not saying that there is not voter fruad on the individual level, but that 90% of the fruad is by someone "stuffing" the ballot box and that voter ID laws will not protect against that.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

No, you missed my point. College student may vote where they are going to school. They don't necessarily need
    Even if a student is voting in a location different from address on DL they still have to REGISTER in the precinct where they are voting; address does not have to match ID, just photo on state issued ID with security features.

Keep throwing up red herrings.
    l1a1 and JoJoGunn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I must mention that most vter fraud is not done on the individual level, but by "officals" at the local and county level.

Take 2008 and look at Perry County Alabama which had 1,114, cast absentee ballots, a percentage that is six times the state average, take Jefferson County, which includes Birmingham and has 60 times Perry County’s population of 10,600, there were 365 absentee ballots. These ballots did not have votes for Fedearl offices (those were left blank) but merely county postions.

I am not saying that thre is not votr fruad on the individual level, but that 90% of the fruad is by someone "stuffing" the ballot box and that voter ID laws will not protect against that.
    No it won't, but you don't drain a swamp all at once, ya gotta START somewhere.

Several years ago the DA at the county south of here attempted to bar students
    from voting; the state AG ruled they had the right to vote where they were attending school.

Keep up the cheering for Papers Please and sooner or later we will all regret it.
    This last election the University that I attend made a real effort to help students get out and vote. In Wisconsin a Student ID is not good enough to register to vote, you need proof of residence which the school provides. If our voter ID law had been in effect a photo ID along with this print out would've been all those students would've needed...How is it that allowing these students to vote with proper LEGAL GOV'T issued ID Unconstitutional? It doesn't matter if their ID lists a different address as long as they can prove that they are legally allowed to vote where they goto school?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links