Voted today and look what I saw on the door - Page 3

Voted today and look what I saw on the door

This is a discussion on Voted today and look what I saw on the door within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by kapnketel I understand the concern. But, in any system somebody gets the short end of the stick. I would rather have a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Voted today and look what I saw on the door

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I understand the concern. But, in any system somebody gets the short end of the stick. I would rather have a small # of people not vote than large numbers of improper/illegal votes. But then, I lived in Chicago for 30 years and I understand voter fraud. I personally think everyone should get the most verified, best ID available-a passport. There is no better ID than that. Good for ten years, get a picture at Walgreens and get the form at the post office. 30 bucks and you are good to go.
    You know, not all that many years back (because this changed during the Bush II admin post 9/11) we could travel
    in Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean with nothing more than a Voter Registration Card and some sort of picture ID; typically
    it was a DL, but it didn't have to be. Now, gotta have a passport. Do you folks realize 1) how much more money it now
    costs to travel (plus the trouble of getting the stuff together) 2) for how little security gain we really get. [Especially with regard to airline travel since everyone is searched anyhow.]

In response to Oakchas post 22, I'd almost rather have that implanted chip. And here is why. To take it from you
    they'd have to hog tie you and surgically remove it. Papers. Any clerk, cop, can seize them for any made up reason at any time.
    Or, some clerk can just be in a bad mood and decide what you have doesn't look right. Or, that's the day they don't feel liking
    issuing something.

See folks, once we go down this path-- and we are now way too far down this road for our own good, we open the door
    to truly giving up our person-hood to arbitrary power. It isn't really all that different than what you all complain about
    regarding not having constitutional carry; states with may issue. Once someone can deny issuing your papers for what they
    deem is a good reason, you lose.

We are going to all lose if we don't turn this around.

The cure is worse than the disease.
    pgrass101 and HotGuns like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Why don't we just let anyone that knows their own name vote. Think of the possibilities,my 5 year old grandson could vote, my dog could vote. Let's print the ballots in several languages. I've got no problem with voter id but I do have a problem with tin foil as clothing.

You don't have to be a citizen to get a state issued ID. Just spend five minutes in No, Va. and you'll see what I mean.

I think it's more geared toward keeping people such as the dead from voting long after they've passed. And other types of fraud like that.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Not allowing a college photo ID is designed to not allow college students the right to vote and is unconstitutional.
    A college-issued ID isn't state identification. Seems clear (to me) that it doesn't keep students from voting; rather, it simply requires the student have a state-issued ID like everyone else if he/she intends to vote.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No problem Hoppy. Let's just get these cute little MICR barcode tattoos on our scalp while we're at it. No need to bring that old wallet everywhere, medical records, no problem. Most peoples hair would cover it anyway. I always thought the saying was trading liberty for security. Maybe it should have been trading liberty for convenience.

Sorry to take it out on the messenger buddy. :)

Let's not forget the Ohio state motto. Vote Early and Vote Often!
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Bubba - What's your dogs name? Shhh....Let the Dog answer!
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Not allowing a college photo ID is designed to not allow college students the right to vote and is unconstitutional.
    Oh good God.....no it isn't. That is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Sweet!!!

Just curious, did the "gunbuster" sign also include the "verbage substantially similar" to the actual Tenn. code?
    Yes it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    There is a serious issue here. College students are supposed to be able to vote where they go to school, not where their parents live. By insisting that they have a DL (which most likely is where they came from) the students are disenfranchised as it is
    actually not legal for them to vote where their former home was.

About 10 years back we had quite a problem here with one county DA who was systematically excluding students who attended
    Prairie View A&M from voting; he lost.

All of you who are so favorably inclined toward ID laws, be careful what you wish for. These are a disaster coming our way.
    They do not have to have a DL from TN. A state issued ID is all they have to have. A DL, A state ID card and several other forms of ID will do. If a kid is going to college in TN then they can get their butt down to the office to get a state issued ID card. If they're are mature enough to vote and be out on their own I would think it isn't too much to expect them to be able to obtain a damn ID card from the state they reside in.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    "College IDs are too easy to fake." Driver's licenses maybe not so much... but.... are the poll watchers trained to spot a fake? sorry, guys.... I don't really like voter ID....
    Yeah, they are. And they have the little UV lights that are designed to make the hologram on the DL/ID show up. That is something less than likely to be present on a fake DL or state ID.

Voter fraud is a fairly large problem in Shelby County Tennessee. If you are unaware of it, Shelby County is the county that the city of Memphis is in. And the city of Memphis Tennessee is a real pit of political fraud and slime. It is very common for dead people to vote for the libs who are running. It is very common for people to be paid by the libs running to vote multiple times for them, in multiple precincts. The Ford family, a huge lib/Democrat family has dominated the local political scene for generations here. They have multiple members of the family that have served prison time for voter fraud and other crimes. So excuse me if I do not share your paranoid/delusional tendencies about having to show a state issued picture ID card to vote here. This election cycle may be the most fair that Shelby County has ever seen. And no one is being disenfranchised. That is just total BS.
    W9HDG, msgt/ret and JoJoGunn like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Actually they are able to vote, go back and read the last line in the sign. They are not being denied their right to vote, so how is it unconstitutional?
    Here is how:
    At their best, provisional ballots provide voters who would otherwise be turned away from the polls to have their votes counted, but at their worst, the offer of a provisional ballot can be "a way to brush off troublesome voters by letting them think they have voted."
    Provisional ballot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Similar to the "Poll Tax" of old.....
    The term was widely used in the South at the turn of the 20th century in combination with other measures as a means of disfranchisement to bar poor people, especially blacks, from voter registration and voting.
    Tax per head - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As to the statements of one provides ID when writing a check, using a credit card, etc..... It is the old "apples and oranges" argument. One does not have to write check, use credit cards, buy guns, etc., the Constitution deals with the government and not what private enterprise requires. A drivers license is a privilege and not a right.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Our polling places generally aren't posted.

We have an ID law as well, and have no issues with it what so ever. Long ago, you had to have an ID and voter registration card on you to vote, don't know why that ever stopped.

I know I showed up to vote once, and they informed me I already had... and was checked off. After some time, they finally figured out they were supposed to have marked someone else and had accidentally marked it next to my name.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

We have an ID law as well, and have no issues with it what so ever. Long ago, you had to have an ID and voter registration card on you to vote, don't know why that ever stopped.

I know I showed up to vote once, and they informed me I already had... and was checked off. After some time, they finally figured out they were supposed to have marked someone else and had accidentally marked it next to my name.
    It stopped when liberals realized how easy it would be to commit fraud and get themselves the needed votes to win they otherwise could not get by convincing people that their way was the right way. And it continues because fools believe voter ID laws are designed to disenfranchise poor people and minorities.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; July 18th, 2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: missed an "s"
    JoJoGunn, paaiyan and msgt/ret like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

I don't know where you live, how old you are, or what your experiences have been, but NOT that long ago no one needed
    an ID for much of anything. Maybe for you young folks this all seems normal. It isn't normal.

In my experience, and I have voted in NY, Iowa, and Texas; and lived in CT, Minnesota, one registered to vote by signing
    an affidavit that one was a citizen. THat was under oath and if you were lying could be caught and punished. You
    signed that, received a voter registration card in the mail, and brought that with you to the polling place. You showed it to the clerk, and signed on their books, and signatures had to match--- matching signatures is what prevented one person from voting
    more than once.

All the other uses of ID are relatively new. Not needed to travel in N. America and the Carribean until after 9/11.
    Not needed to check into a hotel until after 9/11. Not needed to open a bank account until sometime around 2000/ maybe
    after 9/11 I'm unsure. We didn't need ID to board a plane until the early 1990s. Congress never voted for that, it just happened.

Soc. Sec. You used to get that when you got a job. Then you needed it if you had a dependent over a certain age. Then they began issuing them at birth. It was done to keep folks from claiming non-existent dependents.

The Hibel case only affirmed that you have to state your name to police officers, not that you must carry ID.

I was at a bank yesterday. They had a sign stating that you needed a soc. sec. number to open an account, makes sense, and that
    you need to give your name and address, fine, and that you MAY (not will) be asked for a photo ID.

This business of needing ID at docs and dentists has to do with something called Red Flag rules; which are FTC regulations and
    not law. While supposed to protect against ID theft, they actually promote it by putting your information on the least
    secure computers around--- those in private small offices where the proprietors can't afford high tech security gurus.

Again, the cure here is worse than the disease. Stop it now.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links