Great Example of Warrior Spirit - From History

This is a discussion on Great Example of Warrior Spirit - From History within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sam Whittemore was 80 years old when the Revolutionary war began. He had heard about the encounter at Lexington and Concord, and decided that he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Great Example of Warrior Spirit - From History

Great Example of Warrior Spirit - From History

Sam Whittemore was 80 years old when the Revolutionary war began. He had heard about the encounter at Lexington and Concord, and decided that he should get in on the action.

As the Redcoats were retreating back toward his town (about 1500 of them), he armed himself with a musket, a brace of pistols, and a saber. He then told his wife he was going to go fight the British.

He found a good spot for an ambush, about 150 yards from the road that the Redcoats would be coming down during their retreat from Concord.

When the British showed up, he began firing on them, picking them off with his musket (an amazing feat at that distance). He, by himself, was perceived as such a threat, that the British sent a large unit to engage him.

Sam hid until the unit was upon him, then sprang from cover to engage them. He crushed one soldier's skull with the butt of his musket, then drew his pistols, killing a man with each shot. As he began to draw his saber, he was shot in the face, and fell to the ground.

The British bayonetted him until they were sure he was dead. After the Redcoats left, Sam, unbeknownst to them, regained consciousness, and despite having part of his face shot away, and being stabbed over 14 times, he made a full recovery, and lived to the ripe old age of 98.

I came across this story, which I have paraphrased, while reading "The Light and the Glory." Thought it was pretty good, so I decided to share it.
    Last edited by Badey; July 17th, 2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

Tough old goat, was he!

Wow, is that true?
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

If true: holy crap. Tough old goat indeed.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

He later changed his name to Strom Thurman and fathered 18 more children

From Wikipedia:

Whittemore was born in England. He came to North America in 1745 as an officer in the British Army, where he fought in King George's War. He was involved in the capture of the French stronghold, Fort Louisburg. After the war he stayed in the colonies, settling in Menotomy, Massachusetts (present-day Arlington). He subsequently fought in the French and Indian War at the age of 64, once again assisting in the capture of Fort Louisburg.[2]

On April 19, 1775, British forces were returning to Boston from the Battles of Lexington and Concord, the opening engagements of the war. On their march they were continually shot at by colonial militiamen. Whittemore was in his fields when he spotted an approaching British relief brigade under Earl Percy, sent to assist the retreat. Whittemore loaded his musket and ambushed the British from behind a nearby stone wall, killing one soldier. He then drew his dueling pistols and killed a grenadier and mortally wounded a second. By the time Whittemore had fired his third shot, a British detachment reached his position; Whittemore drew his sword and attacked. He was shot in the face, bayoneted thirteen times, and left for dead in a pool of blood. He was found alive, trying to load his musket to fight again. He was taken to Dr. Cotton Tufts of Medford, who perceived no hope for his survival. However, Whittemore lived another 18 years until dying of natural causes at the age of 98.

Samuel Whittemore Monument is located in Arlington, Massachusetts.

In 2005, Samuel Whittemore was proclaimed the official state hero of Massachusetts and his memory is commemorated on February 3rd each year.[1

It is amazing a state with such high regard for self-defense then, has so little now...............

oops I had a typo in my post, you are correct, sir, he lived to be 98. I did not know that there was still a memorial near where he fought! I'm glad he is still remembered there.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

no McDonalds back then; people lived longer
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Any kin to Chuck Norris or Sixto?
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

VIP Member
    Warrior Spirit?

Man that guy had the Great White Buffalo, the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future, and Nine lives all rolled into one.

WoW.
    His relatives had to be proud as ever of him.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

What a Patriot!

VIP Member
    One of our great forefathers who had a hand in fighting to establish this great country we have. A GREAT American even before there was an America it is a shame so many today give up their freedom so cheaply.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    That is a great story. Reminds me of my aunt,who is 102. During Hurricane Ike she refused to leave. Two deputies went to her house to remove her. They said she grabbed a walking stick and told them to try and make her leave. The deputies left.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Guys like this are the true American Hero's

Wow,something we should all envy,True Bravery and Honor! Shows you don't need the Mall Ninja spirit,or the Oh,I wish my girlfriend could see me now, Tactical set-up to be a killer.

I guess he REALLY didn't like the British.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links