Quitting smoking sucks

This is a discussion on Quitting smoking sucks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm on nicotine gum but dang if I'm not cranky...grrrrrrrr...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Quitting smoking sucks

Quitting smoking sucks

I'm on nicotine gum but dang if I'm not cranky...grrrrrrrr

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have successfully quit twice (yeah, yeah, I know). The first time, I used the gum, and was an irascible irritable SOB for the first month. The second time, I went with the patches and it was a breeze in comparison. Get it done, and you will look back on it as the best thing you have ever done for yourself and those around you. Hang in there, and know you can do it.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I used the electronic cig and it was the easiest.
    nerdyvirgin and rdpG19 like this.

I quite cold turkey for the last time in February of 1987, over 25 years ago. Now write this down and never forget it, quiting is absolute hell, and I will never do this again, and the only way you can never quite again is if you never touch another cigarette in your life. If you just spent a week without one you have gone though the worst, you know this because you have been here before, just don't do something again that sucks so bad, make this the last time.

Hi Doodle - It took pnueumonia when I was 30 to get me to quit - not a recommended technique, but it worked. And I am so glad that I was able to do so. Stick in there!

VIP Member
    Had bronchitis last Thanksgiving, haven’t had a cigarette since, no biggie the state and feds can find somewhere else to get taxes. Oh and I had been smoking over 40 years.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I quit for the third and last time 4 years ago on my birthday, May 28. The smell of a cig is now gross to me but a waft of good cigar smoke might still get my attention ... for a moment. Hang in there. Good luck.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I'm on nicotine gum but dang if I'm not cranky...grrrrrrrr
    I'll tell you right now what you need to do to quit easily for cheap and for good. I smoked 1/2-1 pack a day for 7 years. I tried many times to quit, rationing, cold turkey, gum, patches, nothing worked...

I bought an E-cig from walmart for about $20, and then another $20 for 5 refills (each refill is the same as 2 packs of cigarettes). It's been 6 months since I have smoked a real cigarette and my lungs are thanking me more each day. It doesn't taste exactly like a cigarette because it's vapor, not smoke, but after a few days/weeks, you start to really enjoy the flavor. You can chose your flavors (menthol or nonmenthol) or refill it yourself with hundreds of different flavors (grape, blueberry and such) but I like the normal taste...You can also chose your nicotine percentage, mine barely has any, and I barely use it at all anymore, only when I'm driving or after a big meal.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by thedogfather View Post
    The smell of a cig is now gross to me but a waft of good cigar smoke might still get my attention ...
    I know, they smell terrible now, and I can smell them from like a block away..
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

No doubt. I moved into a small apartment complex last December. When I have my bedroom window open, my neighbor's cig smoke is sucked right in. Makes both me and my dog sneeze.
    Burns likes this.

I quit cold turkey almost five years ago. Quitting isn't a nice linear progression of days. You'll have good days and bad days. But, as long as you don't smoke, eventually the bad days will be fewer and further between. One day, you'll notice that the bad days have disappeared entirely. That's as long as you don't relent to the cravings. If you relent and smoke, then you're right back at day one again. I don't think about cigarettes or miss them. It doesn't bother me to be around people that smoke. I smoked for over forty years. I'm glad I finally quit. You'll be glad you did also. Good luck.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I smoked for 36 years. A real nicotine junkie. About three packs a day when I finally decided that I wanted to live a while longer.

I used the patch. I can't speak for others, but I found it relatively easy to quit using the patches. Almost no withdrawal symptoms after the initial couple of weeks. Even the first two weeks weren't too bad.

I've been smoke free now for 11 years. I sure wish I had all of the money I wasted on cigs back, but I'll be content to have finally stopped. I really thought that I couldn't do it, and in the end I was really surprised at how easy it was to quit.

Note of caution: When you do finally quit (and you will), within a month or so, your mouth will begin to clean itself out from all of the nasty cigarette crap and food will start to taste amazingly good again. You might find yourself camped out in front of the refrigerator. Be careful with that or you will wind up needing to buy wider clothes.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Doodle, If you think it could help I'd be happy to send you the E-cig I bought about a year ago for free, I spent $60-80 on everything I think.

ecig.jpg

All those cartridges expire in October, but they're still good. And new ones are quite cheap.
    Comes with USB charger, and a wall charger.

I ended up losing this one so I went to walmart to buy a cheaper brand.. and of course after I bought it I found this one again. My wife also had one... which is still lost somewhere...

If you want it just send me a pm and I'll ship it out, otherwise best of luck on quitting, when you get a craving just remember all the benefits you'll have when you quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I don't think about cigarettes or miss them.
    Me neither, but I did have quite a few dreams where I started smoking again... then I wake up in relief when I realized it was just a dream :D

After over forty years of smoking, up to three packs a day, I went to the e-cigs. Forty seven days without a cig as of now. Not craving them and really don't like the smell of them now.
    rdpG19 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links