Notes from the farm - Page 2

Notes from the farm

This is a discussion on Notes from the farm within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Looks good Timmy. Start taking out groundhogs with the bow....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Notes from the farm

Looks good Timmy.

Start taking out groundhogs with the bow.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Since we are talking about farming..we just moved to TX and want to grow on about 1/4 acre. What is good for planting this time of year in San Antonio area? PM me if anybody can help

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You need to tighten up that grouping!Looks like your living the good life.
    Ah I don't know. That's not too bad for a 45# recurve @ 60 yds. right timmy?
    atctimmy likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Nice! I just had some green beans from my garden.

My watermelon is looking good, but I still can't figure out when they are ripe! Every year I get impatient and pick one and it is not ripe, then two weeks later I pick one and it is starting to go bad!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Nice! I just had some green beans from my garden.

My watermelon is looking good, but I still can't figure out when they are ripe! Every year I get impatient and pick one and it is not ripe, then two weeks later I pick one and it is starting to go bad!
    Bady, don't pick your first one until you can turn one over and see it starting to turn yellow where it's making contact with the ground. Too pale and it's not ready. Pay attention to that and you'll know when they're ripe by that color. That's the best I have found anyway.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    Life on a the farm is definatly good.....love my place, and be patient , where there are does, there will be bucks.....love the archery, what kind of bow you shoot ? I quit hunting deer with rifles several years ago, it is almost like cheating....unless i have a poor archery season, then cheating is allowed , lol
    Enjoy the good life, sounds like your doing well....btw, how big is the farm ?
    I shoot a Mathews Q2. It's not the fanciest or the fastest but it's quiet and accurate.

I like the challenge of bowhunting. It will take me a year or two to really crack the puzzle on my new farm but that's all part of the fun. Sooner or later (hopefully sooner) I'll have the deer figured out.
    mprp likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Looks good Timmy.

Start taking out groundhogs with the bow.
    I was thinking about that today. I'm shooting pretty good and out to 40 yards I could probably do it if it sat still long enough. I haven't seen any in a little while though. The beans are getting pretty high.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Since we are talking about farming..we just moved to TX and want to grow on about 1/4 acre. What is good for planting this time of year in San Antonio area? PM me if anybody can help
    Aren't you guys in a drought?

VIP Member
    Been a long time ago but when I was stationed in Oklahoma I killed a 10 pound hen turkey, cooked it on a charcoal fired smoker, some of the best eating I have ever had.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Nice looking place Timmy. Nothing like having your own land and living in the country. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Kinda past prime time, unless you can find some tomato and pepper plants. Prep your garden now, and when the daytime highs max out in the low 90s, you can probably plant some beans, squash and peas. Maybe check with a local garden center to see what's doable this time of year.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member
    My wife and I have been taming 17 acres for about 4 years now. Hay is our primary. We're getting close to maintainence mode now. Still have some fencing to do. With 3 barns and a house behind us....I'm getting tired. This is the 2nd time around for us but I was 40 the first time, much easier. This winter is a rebuild on an F100 (81)
    atctimmy likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    Man is it hot out today. Digging, sawing, hacking and plowing today. My desk job is making me soft. My "time off" isn't.

Distinguished Member
    It gets to you with a desk job, I know. I drive a little more than an hour into work, 3-4 times a week. This may sound nuts but particularly in the evenings I won't use the AC in the car until it's 96 or hotter. Sometimes not even then. I guess I'm in training. Making yourself sick by flashing out on a Saturday morning can have dangerous results.

I guess I like it; I keep doing it.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    It gets to you with a desk job, I know. I drive a little more than an hour into work, 3-4 times a week. This may sound nuts but particularly in the evenings I won't use the AC in the car until it's 96 or hotter. I guess I like it; I keep doing it.
    I don't use the AC in my car at all on my half commmute to work. The morning are pleasant afternnons are not. I do use the AC if my boys are in the car, but not if it's just me and the dog.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links